1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING WITH CONTACT LEN'S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BLACKDOG, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

SHOOTING WITH CONTACT LEN

Since I get older everyday, my eye sight gets worse and I wear contact lense's It seem's as if when I have a darker lens with a lot of contrast, my vision gets blury after a 100 targets. Has anyone else had the happen to them, if I use lighter lense's which has less contrast, vision is better but I loose the contrast. Any idea's on this subject

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

When I needed a pair of prescription shooting glasses, the optician who supplied them told me two things that I have found to true. (1) contact lenses are for vanity, not clear vision. Assuming your eyes are otherwise healthy, you will see better, especially at distance, with external lenses. (2) Use the lightest tint that gives you the contrast changes you want. Everyone, regardless of age, sees less well through dark lenses because the pupil dilates more. You may need to experiment with lens colors to improve the contrast without making the scene too dark.

Carol Lister

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been wearing and shooting with contact lenses for over 35 years and never had a problem ... My eyes are no more or any less sensitive to light or darkness but I find certain color Plano (non RX) lenses (shooting glasse's) work better according to the color of the targets and light conditions more so than anything else ... I just recently went to the Toric lenses and again, no problem or noticeable difference ... Try different types of lenses and see what feels best and works best for you ... The Eye Doctors give you free trials and will continue to do so until you find what works for you, or find another Doctor ... Tell your eye Doctor that you are a shooter and ask if he or she would suggest anything for you to try ... I can see the hemoroids on a knats ass at 20 yards so it don't get much better than that ... 0 <<<<---- There is Knat Hemoroid in the circle ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Started shooting with hard contact lenses, went to semi-hard and finally the latest super soft lenses. I completely disagree with Ms. Lister. Admittedly we all will not have the same experience with all kinds of eye correction methods.

My prescription glasses held me back quite a bit. I'm very near sighted and the curvature of the lenses caused all kinds of distortion. The prescription lenses corrected my slight astigmatism but the accuracy, acuity and the depth of field were much improved with my contacts. I see the target as sharply as with the "external correction."

By-the-way. I went from a B-24-A shooter to AA-27-AA in about one year after the change to contacts.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think the only time you won't benefit from contact lenses is when astigmatism is present. Wearing lighter colored lenses will also help by allowing more light in, but having a smaller iris which many times gives clearer vision.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll add 3 comments on the subject of shooting with contact lenses is that (1) while I am definitely more handsome without glasses (lol), (2) IMO it appears to be significantly more economical to use a "plano" shooting glasses system long term, which I have amortized over the past 8 years. 1 year of soft contacts cost me $45 exam + $80 contacts (with coupon) or $125.

(3) While that would buy me little more than one pair of single Rx lenses tinted in cr39 plastic, my bigger issue is that I would not have the impact resistance of polycarbonate, which in my opinion is the much better trade-off -substantial impact resistance v. slight decrease in optical clarity.

To summarize, better protection, economics and vanity - you get it all!

regards to everyone,

Jay

7. BigM-Perazzi

Jay, you generally wear contacts with shooting glasses. YOu just don't have to have the script made so you can get the $30 lenses......

Many advantages of contacts, generally clearer vision, better peripheral vision...

And you can buy 10 pairs of colored Decot lenses for what one pair of script shooting glasses would cost you...

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I started wearing contact lenses in 1969, not because of vanity, but because my eyes would not work together due to an acute astigmatism in my right eye. My vision was about 20-400 in my right eye. I am left handed as well as being left eye dominant, so it did not stop me from shooting. I had tried glasses, but could not judge distances worth a darn, so my eye doctor recommend contacts. That did the trick and even gave me more confidence and less trouble (such as pushing my glasses against my nose all the time or wearing a strap to keep them on during any activity.

I wore ridgid lenses until 2000, and then I got the Lasik procedure. Wow, both eyes worked together and I had 20-20 in both eyes. The astigmatism returned after a year to I had the right eye done again. It is only about 20-40 now, but far better than it was.

About 5 years ago, my doctor prescribed Nike Sport Lenses which gave me 20 20 again and the added benefit of the lenses being amber colored. This color bends and blends blue and green to almost one color. I can still see a horizon with great distinction and the orange targets like pie plates. Nike makes these in a gray color as well, and they are recommend for shooting, golf, baseball, and soccer. These things block the UV rays, so I just wear clear shooting glasses when I shoot. Only drawback is it unnerves when they look at my eyes.

9. pdq

pdq Member

I shoot with hard contacts lenses because I have brighter, crisper vision with them, and better color contrast. I agree with the idea of shooting with colored glasses that are as clear as possible, as this allow more light through, which means the pupils will be less dialated. Just like a camera lens, the smaller the aperature, the greater the depth of field and detail.

My only problem with contacts are on cold windy days because those weather conditions make my eyes water, which make the lenses float around versus staying centered. I often have to wait a bit after mounting the gun for them to go back on center.

Pete

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Due to my eye problem being difficult to diagnose, I have been to seven eye doctors over the past four years. Every one of them advised me that clearest vision comes from glasses.

The reason they all gave was the fact that contacts move around on your eye, thus the optical center of the lens is not always in the best location. Every time I've had an eye exam and tell them I am considering contacts and am a shooter, I'm told to stay with glasses.

I do have contacts that I got for motorcycle riding. It's weird but everything looks smaller with them in than with glasses. When riding with them in, I feel like I'm IN the bike; with glasses, I feel like I'm ON the bike. I tried shooting with them in and using my son's plano shooting glasses and the targets looked like asprin tablets. My eye doctor tells me that is common with contacts.

I guess a person would eventually adjust to the difference.

Ed

11. BigM-Perazzi

Ed, you must have an odd script... When I was 20/400, I had coke bottles for glasses, everything was tiny... when I went to contacts, everything looked bigger!!! the optical center of a contact I'd suspect is non-existent as the entire contact is the same correction regardless of position..Your glasses, on the other hand, need to be very specific. Move your head, the contact stays the same, move your head, the glasses change.... Of course, specialty contacts, torics, etc, would change that....

jim IMHO..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.