1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting with cochlear implant

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JerryP, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Does anyone have or know of any trapshooter with a cochlear implant?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jerry, not to sound stupid (I guess I'm making that obvious, however), but what is that?

Ed

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a recent exam from an Audiologist and my Hearing Loss at frequencies over 2K is between "Profound and Off the Chart" because the Hair cells in my inner ear do not fire and send a message to the brain. A hearing aid can only Amplify sound and if the auditory nerve has a "Total Loss over 120 DB" and you amplify ZERO by the maximum volume you still get Zero. A cochlear implant has possibilities but I don't know if gun recoil would be any worse than for a person to shoot after surgical repair of a torn retina, only the Dr. could answer that.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, It's not very common. Even less common than trapshooters. It's a speech processor that looks like a large hearing aid with an antenna stuck on the side of the head with a magnet. The internal part connects directly to the cochlea via electrodes and effectively bypasses the ear.

Mike, I don't have even close to 2K, hair cells are apparently fried. Hearing aids are minimal help. You are right,0x0=0. The implant is my only option. I've ask the Dr and everyone else at Riley Hospital about shooting afterward. I haven't really gotten an answer, they don't know. Most people don't know what trapshooting is anyway. Simple reasoning dictates that I should be alright with good gun fit and not too heavy loads. I was hoping to hear from someone who shoots that has one, but, like I said, it's not very common. Scheduled for surgery in Aug, scary stuff. Gonna be a cyborg.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Devilsadvocate,If you have already lost your hearing, you can only gain. The device comes off as simple as removing a refrigerator magnet. There is nothing to interfere with the gun mount. Even if one doesn't remove it to shoot, the gun is not mounted up around the ears. My only concern is damaging the implanted part from recoil.

It is common for the implant to restore hearing to 30db across the spectrum. I can't even imagine that. But there is no guarantee at all. You should seek advice from a good audiologist. It's no fun to be deaf.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jerry, since my audiogram I have wondered how much damage a hearing aid cranked up to the maximum volume could do for those frequencies where the hearing loss is "Profound" because the hair cells are not firing ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you shoot a gun with a cochlear implant

cochlear implaant shooting rifles

cochlear implant and guns

cochlear implant and shooting
cochlear implant rifle recoil

cochlear implants and firearms

how long after a cochlear implant can i shoot a gun
shoting with a cochlear implant