1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with bifocal contacts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I am considering trying to go to contacts from glasses. I need bifocal contacts. I am looking for your experience and comments with shooting with bifocals. Any problems or concerns?

Thanks, Jim

2. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Ask your eye dr. he will probabably give you a sample pair of byfocal contacts to try, mine did. It took me about a week to decide they were'nt for me. I have wore regular contacts for several years and like and shoot very well with them AA/AAA 26 yds.It takes awhile getting used to putting them in but well worth it in the long run. I use the cheap reader glasses you can buy for reading small print I'm able to read stuff like score sheets with just the contacts.

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

At first I thought I wrote this email. What type contacts are you considering? Mine are gas permeable and bifocal. You will want to discuss other disposable types with those that have that experience. Here is what I can offer. The gasperm are very durable and last 3 to 4 years. Not all eye doctors are experienced in these however. The main issue is 'fit' - how do the contacts lay or sit on the eye. As you may know, contacts move around a lot as you blink and move your eye. During trap shooting, you are making extremely rapid focus changes, most of the attention is the split second focus after the bird is released. I can say that my experience is OK; as we age certainly we need help with reading because after about age 45, our eye loses that ability in most cases. How the eye reacts during the shot to change in focus at a distance is essential. How the contacts float and return to the proper placement on the eye is also important. Comfort is vital ! A reputable doc. will make several changes in fit at no charge to make sure everything is OK.

Recently, I am considering a new prescription and I may drop the bifocal aspect. Over the last coulpe years, I find myself using reading classes even though I have the bifocal contacts because my reading prescription has deteriorated. In trap, the eye does need a time to adjust from the bead to the bird. I myself wonder if the bifocal interferes with this, OR is it essential because the eye is trying to adjust from short to long, and can't ...then is struggling as you try to focus on the bird? Perhaps the delay after bead alignment, and your refocus on the trap is enought time for this. A lot of guys will say 'don't even look at the bead' if you have a stable set up/mount; just focus on the trap house hold.

I guess the best advice is to gather more information, explain the focus issue to your doctor, and hope that an (good)Opthamologist-(good)trap shooter with bifocal contacts reads this blog and offers his input. I inderstand that the the bifocal aspect physically is all around the contact, not just in the lower portion like bifocal glasses. How you hold you head, what are you actually seeing and when are all considerations.

I can say that my experience, after fit for comfort, is good. I hit 'em pretty well. Contacts allow me to use varying shooting shades easily. I can choose shooting glasses with less frame, and improve the sight field. The adjustment period for your eyes to accept contacts could be a couple weeks or so until you develop the tolerence and build up to all day use. You should always bring your solutions to the shoot in case you have to clean the lenses. Nothing worse that having something in your eye AND contacts. This should replace capital punishment.

Good luck. I am interested in what your medical research will uncover. In the long run I believe you'll be pleased. If your doctor doesn't "get it" for trap shooting change docs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best multifocal contacts for shooting

nmultifocal contacts for shooting sports

shooting trap with bifocal contacts

target shooting with bifocal contacts