1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with a Defibrillator or Pacemaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cazadore, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Help! Anyone have experience or know of any competitive shooters with a defibrillator that still shoot 200 a day at competitions? The "yes it should be OK" crowd hasn't come up with solid examples. Posting for a Trapshooting friend, Steve Bills, recovering from a major cardiac event at SW Grand. It now appears he will need a defibrillator and he is concerned about continued shooting. First two MD's he asked had little opinion and no first hand experience. Thanks in advance, Doug

2. ML

ML Member

Doug,
    My heart quit in 2005 and I now have a pacemaker/defibrillator. I am still an active trapshooter. I shoot all the targets I want and have not had any problems. I shot a 250 pair of doubles about two months ago, no problems.

Please tell your friend if he's a right handed shooter, to make sure they put the defibrillator on his left side. If he'd like to visit with me about it, I'd be happy to answer any questions he has.

Regards,
    M L Hipp

3. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

M.L. Thanks. He's in the hospital now for another battery of tests but I will forward this to him. He will likely contact you. Thanks again, Doug

4. stubs

stubs TS Member

I've had a pacerer/defib. put in in 2001. Shoot as much as posible when money not tight. Tell him to start slow and build up to it. He will see a great deal of improvemt In the way he feels.Rich

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I've had an ICD for about a year;my doc knew I was a left hand shooter so its on the right side.Depending on how the pacemaker side is set/used you may notice some changes in heart rate.For example if a shoot off used to get you worked up and raise your heart rate,it isn't going to with the ICD.My doc wished me good shooting and had no restrictions.

6. NintyT

NintyT Member

Not to be a downer here, but I had a friend/shooter, who had his defib kick in two different times while shooting. The first ended up with an accidental discharge into the ground about 3 foot out. The second ended with him dropping the loaded and closed gun on the ground. The club then barred him from further participation. His case may well have been much worse that most, but just be careful.

7. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Thanks for the responses - you all are making him feel better already.

Are recoil reduction systems needed or suggested?

DGG

8. stubs

stubs TS Member

It probly will not be needed. But I put a softtouch on my gun. It gave me a little more peace of mind. You won't get as tired, my doc told me to stay out of extreme heat[ above 90] for a long period of time because it will make your heart rate increase, Make sure you know what heart rate it is set at so you can keep track. Rich

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

How about Bret Erickson. In 2004 just 6 weeks before the Athens Olympics Bret had an electrical problem and his heart stopped cold. He was out running with some of the other members of the US Army Marksmanship unit when it happened and one of the Skeet Shooters, Mark Weeks did CPR and got him restarted. They put a pacemaker in him and he shot the Athens Olympics! He also has won a couple of national Championships and shot the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Bret's unit was by St. Josephs if that is any help. He has done some advertising for them.

The only issue is make sure they put the gizmo in opposite side from your shooting shoulder. I did have a friend that had to stop because the %$%# Doctor put it in his Right shoulder and he was right handed.

I have chided Bret that the only downside is that he has to be nice to a Skeet Shooter now!

TB

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting with a Defibrillator or Pacemaker-- Absolutely not. Always shoot with a shotgun.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a person with a difribulator shoot a rifle

can you shoot shotgun with a defibrillator

defibrillator and shooting

icds and shooting gun
is it ok to shoot a gun if you have a defibrillator
left handed person pacemaker
pacemaker and shotguns

trap shootin with defibrillator