1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with a coat on

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

When shooting with a coat on do you do anything different? Do any of you have 2 different recoil pads?

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Most of the guns that I shoot year round have two different pads ground for them. You have to do something to change your LOP when you put on more layers.

ec90t

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I don't think you understand! You're supposed to shoot NAKED!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

When it gets below 50 degrees and I have to wear a coat, the main thing I do is miss more targets. If it gets around 40 degrees, I reload and plan my next trip to Florida. Silver Dollar is a nice place in January.

Pat Ireland

5. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Mr Ireland I second that Motion ! Winter shooting messes with my LOP also But I shoot with same Pad . I wear tighter under clothing that strecth with movement
    thin Layers help . Try several approaches that will help .

Pat Kelley

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My shooting "jacket" is one of those Bob Allen "microfiber" models with the full length leather pad, no lining - so I layer minimally - I find I do not have to make an adjustment to LOP. However, some of the guys who wear a "coat" with lining, do have to adjust their pads to compensate.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

My arthritis doctor told me years ago to wear silk long johns because they are warm and wick away moisture. I have been wearing Lands End long silk under ware for at least 5 years when first diagnosed with arthritis, even when it's in the upper 40's I'll put them on. You can always take off clothing but if you don't have any extra you can't add when it gets real cold. Silk is the way to go.

You can only get them online and is inexpensive as well, someware around $25.00 for each top and bottom. They are called Thermaskins.

JMHO... Jerbear

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

When wearing any additional clothing, the challenge is getting consistent gun mounts. Vests differer in how well they fit in the area of the shoulder pocket but coats, regardless of their thickness, present a greater problem with consistent mounts.

The reasons are two: Not only do they often "bunch up" on the shoulder but they often bunch-up in different ways from one mount to the next.

Add to that a greater tendency of the butt to move on the shoulder following the mount and during swings and the discomfort of hypothermia with chattering teeth and goose bumps loses some of its importance.

Rollin

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Jerbear- Do you have any pictures of you in those silk longies? I may know of a website that they would be appreciated being posted on! Really ROFLMAO.
    (Sorry I just couldn't help myself.)

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The only problem I have...and I only require a light, fleece jacket here in SoCal....is that the stupid collar either gets between my shoulder and the butt pad, or between the comb and my cheek. :( I may have to cut it off.
    (the collar, not my cheek)

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If its cold enough needin a jacket to keep warm, heres what I do
    I wear the overall bib type ski pants and warm boots of course. then I have the bodyarmour brand thermal underwear. Stuff fits great for me and is thin. Then I just wear a thin wind blocker type pull over. Cant remember who makes it but its called weather tuff marketed to the golf . wind and water resistant. doesnt change much of anything. I do not wear my shooting vest in winter. I also wear winter golf gloves they fit well and do the trick. If im cold after this set up LOP is not making me miss, the thoughts of why the &^*% am I out here are more of the problem. ohh of course the one thing I see many cold weather shooters missing, A GOOD WARM HAT. I did see some thermal unders some where with padding built in to the shoulders? Oh yeah I also wear a fleece neck warmer. It can be taken on and off to regulate your heat.

12. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Code, try LL Bean. They have fleece jackets and vests with a small
    jersey/elastic collar that solves that problem.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.