1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with a bad back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nutnbutsmoke, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

Looking for tips anyone can give me on shooting with a bad back. I have had multiple surgeries and my lower 4 disks are fused and on etc. I'm hoping there is another shooter out there dealing with similar condition that has found excersises or a different foot position, or anything that allows them to shoot a 100 targets with out starting to slump over in pain half way through. As soon as the pain comes you just don't stand up quite as straight, don't swing as well and the losses start coming! I know I can't be the only one dealing with this so any tips would be appreciated.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I sympathize.

I'm not nearly that bad, but I did have back surgery in 1991.

The key for me, not just for trapshooting, but for life in general, is to keep those stomach muscles strong, and don't let your belly hang over your belt.

I do a lot of stomach muscle exercises. Lots. I have 6-pack abs. Well, you can't see them because they're under a layer of fat...but they're strong!

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Do as I do. Find a stool about 30 inches high. Sit on it and shoot!

Sure beats not shooting!

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

From what I hear Drugs lots of them!

try a lighter shorter gun for less back strain.

I hope you find something that works and when you do please let us know.

Joe

5. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I have seen others with a stool etc but I have no idea what the ATA requirements are to be able to use one, do you have to have a Dr report stating the partial disability or anything? I hope to avoid having to go for something like that for a couple more years but if the scores keep being affected I will have to do something. I enjoy shooting to much, I will have to start working on my abbs as mentioned by timb99, I know I have some but they haven't been seen in many years.

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I have been shooting sitting on a stool for over two years and have not had any complaints about doing so. I am using a bar stool that I cut down to 27" high and I pull a swivel seat on it. Like shooting standing up better but I was sit down or quit. Only 71, too young to quit.

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

I take four advils before I shoot and again later in the day. I also wear a back brace and if it is really bothering me I use an ice pack as well.

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Aleve on way to the event and a couple of more throught the day. Exercise back and front (crunches/light deadlifts) and cut back some on the shooting. I too want to keep shooting until they carry me off and this getting old and hurting really sucks.

9. 410Ed

410Ed TS Member

Hey Smoke;
    SYears ago I had back problems like you. Two things I did...
    1) stand up straight when you shoot. Like asoldier, with heels together, feet at 45 degrees. Kepp stomach muscles tight. Use any drugs apringly. They don't help shooting concentration at all.
    2) use 1 oz loads...or eve, 3/4 oz. loads. These a lot easier on shoulder, and back, and they hit hard at trap yardage.
    Also, pace yourself. If you are get tired, rest and keep hydrated.
    Hope these tips help you. They did me. I still shoot same today when my old
    back doesn't hurt!
    Smoke'm all!
    410ed

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I am not going to tell you what do do. But, I'm going to tell you what is starting to work for me. 1) get an MRI of your back every 3 years to track any potential nerve damage 2) Go to a good, real medical oriented physical theropist 3) do exerecises to open up your spine and take pressure off of the nerve that may be pinched. 4) do gun lifts at home 5) make sure your gun fits & finally use as light of a load that you know will do the targets if you do your part, It's been working for me & I've been able to avoid surgery so far. Good luck & good shooting.

Phil Berkowitz

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I see no problem shooting with someone sitting on a stool. They still shoot at the same targets as I do...Bill

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have stenosis on L3,4 &5 and pain killers are helping a bit but only to a point....might have to try the stool myself...might make my knees easier to live with too....

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have rods in my back and a new left hip and still had problems. My doctor gave me a referral to a hospital rehab center. The bedroom exercises they gave me to do did wonders and it doesn't take long to do them. Also KEEP MOOVING, don't sit around.

14. shootman

shootman TS Member

In 2005 i had 2 bottom vertibra removed and a cage built in its place.In 2006 i had my right hip replaced,2007 my left hip and was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis. After tons of therapy what helped me the most was bending and stretching which i still do. i would check with your surgeon first. BOB

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try some strength building excersizes. Your Surgeon or Physical Terrorist can guide you there. Try to rest between shots. I went to a lighter gun, since I have other issues as well as the Lumbar spine. I rest my gun and stretch between shots. I watch my posture and stop shooting when it really starts to hurt. I do finish the round/event, but try not to bite off more than I can chew. When it hurts and stops being fun, I stop doing it. I can always come back another day and shoot.

16. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

When I am standing, casting,lugging,in the boat ect. for moderate amounts of time

I wear a 4inch wide belt the construction folks use it helps, easy on velcro

attachment, cabelas and other usually have them.

Pete

17. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

The belts your talking about do they just go around your waste or do they go over your shoulders and connect in front and back like suspenders? or do they just go around your waste and have some kind of hard support in the back to push your spine up straiter? when I go to look for one I want to make sure I'm looking at what works.

18. imissone

imissone TS Member

I also have had multiple surgeries on my back. L4 to S1 fussed.
    I shoot a Browning Recoiless shotgun. There is no recoil from this gun.
    I stated shooting 100 birds and my back is not sore afterwards.
    imissone

19. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

The belts I use are fairly stiff 4-5 inches in width ,have a plastic loop then velcro on the mating sides,some millwrights have the suspenders but they offer no support just help keep them in position, those guys are big men lol besides the outdoor sellers, GOGGLE Mcmaster-carr, THEN BACK SUPPORT OR BELTS THEY have 4 types I USE THE LIGHT WEIGHT NYLON MODEL .

Pete

20. Beni

Beni Member

Ive been through 3 lower back operations and know just what your going through. you need to stregnthen your core mucsles slowly,start stretching your ham strings and lower back.Next start walking as much and as far as you can each day push yourself a little bit more try to get up to a few miles a day. Before you shoot try to plan eneough time to loosen up. Ive had to open my stance on one to catch up to the hard lefts. Most of all be patient with yourself you need to find out what works for you and before you know it youll be shooting 200 straight. Dust em all Joel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.