1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with 2 eyes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tried shooting a round with both eyes today. Believe it or not I was able to shoot ok. However; after checking my mount I was able to hit & smoke targets without having a clue where my gun was. Is this normal. All I could see was the target & absolutely no part of the gun.

Phil Berkowitz

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Congratulations Phil, your gun is shooting where you are looking, allowing you to keep your eyes on the target as you should be doing. Keep it up and you will be on the 27 before you know it. J.W.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Normal for me... Sometimes when I am not shooting well I take off my precription glasses. All i see is a orange fuzzy spot and do not see my barrel. I shoot better !!!

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Phil,

You'll be fine as long as you don't think about what you're doing (nothing mean meant by this remark).

Congrats on the change! It's a hard road, but you'll make it.

ss

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Phil, Welcome to the world of two eye shooting. Yes you are right. Once the gun is mounted and it fits you right. All you have to do is focus on the target and you hit them.
    Good shooting. Remember you my want to fall back to one eye, but just keep your EYES on the target and you will do fine.
    John

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, That's a process I started late Fall. It sounds like you're off to a better start than I had. But, to answer your question, I was the same way. Clueless as to where the barrel was with two eyes. I could break 5 or 10 in a row and miss the next 4 or 5 easily. It's been a long journey so far, but it is coming along. Good luck, I hope you make speedy progress. I do believe it's worth the effort. Bob

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I started life out as a two eyed shooter. As I get closer to mid-life however, cross dominance is setting in.

Covering the offending eye doesn't work real well. I'm not sure I want to rely on a "fence" taped to the rib of my gun.

So for now the best answer I've found is to acquire the target with eyes wide open at the look point, and squint the bad eye as I come into the gun at the break point.

If anyone else has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have always been able to shoot a rifle, scoped or otherwise, with both eyes open. It's the moving target that causes me dominance problems.

Frankly, I prefer shooting clays with one eye. I have never been able to find the second target of doubles even with 2 eyes so peripheral vision is a non-issue to me. Depth perception is not necessary in any trap discipline I've shot otherwise so it is no handicap to me to use only the eye over the barrel.

MK

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had Lasik on Dec 19- Decided to try two eye shooting when a good instructor asked me --"Why do you shoot with one eye?"--"Do you drive a car with one eye?"
    Just trying it a few times a week in practice until I get ny confidence level up,by the way I still check my bead alignment with ine eye & then I open my left eye prior to calling for the target. Hope it continues to get better.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mary, Let me answer you first. I hear what your saying about a blinder. I tried a popular one, glue on, stick on, whatever. I was less than successful with it to say the least. I was all over the place with just the plain barrel, rib, etc. I will tell you right up front I'm not a great shooter or a competitive shooter. Just a long time shooter trying to improve himself as years go by. So probably not a good example to follow. I did finally have a steel blinder attached to the side of the rib. I have found that that works. The fellow that did it for me really didn't want to because it is screwed to the rib and leaves holes if you were to decide not to use it. I did shoot two rounds of skeet last week, first in a year or so. No blinder on the skeet barrel and shot it well for me, 23,22. Why do I need a blinder on trap and not skeet?, no clue. See if you can try a thin piece of material on the side of you rib temporarily some how.

Phil, Once I've opened the second eye, I've not tried going back to one. Good luck, it's all fun. Bob

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've always shot 2 eyes and I see the beads in soft focus on every shot. Experiment. You'll find what works best.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Last deer season I changed barrels on my 1100 trap gun to a slug barrel. First day I missed a nice doe. End of the day I set a target at 50 yrds to see what was wrong the Doe was about 35 from me when I shot. First shot I missed the target second and thired when I closed one eye and aimed at the still target hit the bullseye. I always shoot clays with two eyes all I see is the target trying to shoot one eye is a struggle at a still target I know I wouldn't hit anything moving with one eye

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bruce, your slug probably went high, like your shot pattern does? Learning to use both eyes with rifle sights/scope is good training in properly using that same technique on moving birds, clays or anything moving using a conventional bead additionally. It teaches you to maintain a proper gun hold throughout the shot, moving or stationary?

Hap

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Yes the gun disappears. If you remember seeing the gun you will likely have missed the target. You don't look at the tennis racquet and you never look at the bat or the golf club. The target is everything and you only need the gun to shoot where you look. And keep your head down of course.

Charlie

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hap, I'm sure your right on, I just really struggle trying to shoot with only one eye. With a pistol or a rifle you aim, when I shoot a shotgun I point. I'm a decent clays shooter at least in my own mind but struggle with still targets unless I'm shooting a pistol, and that takes a few rounds to get right. To much shotguna dn note enought rifle / pistol I guess.

16. gusgije

gusgije TS Member

I keep both eyes open, but I never see the barrel. I grip the forearm with my index finger pointing down the barrel so I actually point my finger to where I wil shoot. I try to not think about it and sometimes have to resort to an armpit low mount to stop the brain by having to reactrather than aim.
    I'm not a great shot, but I can beat the
    blind guy this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.