1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting while overcast/gray - What color lenses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I had a horrible night shooting last week. It was about 6:30 pm and getting ready to rain. We turned on the lights, but it really wasnt dark enough to help pick up the targets.

Anybody else have a problem with this type of light or does anyone have any suggestions on what color lenses help. I tried both yellow and orange and had little luck with either.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Try either vermillion or rose. That's my choice for cloudy or low light conditions. For me, these colors make the targets really glow.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Clear....maximum light transmission...

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Or as close to it as you can get.

Whatever color you like in a 5% tint would be about right.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I agree...

6. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Clear or lightest yellow.

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Being that my prescription lenses cost $135/pr. and I don't have the kind of disposable income to allow me to have more than one color, I bought light target orange last year. I couldn't be happier. While I have not shot at night yet, any other type of lighting/sky conditions have not caused me any problems in seeing targets clearly. I used to have vermillion lenses and they were not good for me in dusk/low light conditions. Or even heavy overcast, for that matter.
    Realize that everyone's eyes are not the same but I would suggest that the lighter the color, the better for the conditions you described.

Tim

8. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

My go to color for gray and overcast skies is called Watermelon. It is one of the red/vermillion lenses. Can't be beat.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will have to look through some lenses until you find a color that makes the targets glow. Only you can tell what works best. Especially true if you are color blind to some degree. HMB

10. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Since I primarily shoot orange targets with GREEN backgrounds, my favorites are light and dark purple lenses. I have many other choices in the bag!

Target color, background, lighting .... all are factors in my lens color choice.

Bob

11. open choke

open choke TS Member

Clear, pale yellow, sometimes light purple

Also, light purple for when it's really cloudy but the sun is being covered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.