1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING WHERE YOU ARE LOOKING???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Guy, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

How do you tell when a gun shoots where you are looking? I am a little confused by this saying. Can I have any clarification on this phrase???

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Simply stated, if you look at something and your gun doesn't hit it, your gun doesn't shoot where you are looking. Of course, that is assuming your mechanics are sound and that you are not jerking the gun as you fire it or something else that alters where the gun shoots. But those kinds of things aside, you looking at the target and your gun shooting where you are looking is what shooting a shotgun boils down to in its simplest of terms.

If you are hitting most of your targets, you can judge in which direction your gun's point of impact needs to be adjusted by watching which way the biggest piece of your targets goes; the gun needs adjusted to shoot more in that direction.

If you are not hitting many targets at all, a visit to a patterning board is in order so you can see if your gun shoots where IT looks.

Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you go to the patterning board try this experiment. Aim the shotgun like you would aim a rifle at a 4 inch orange disc on the patterning board. Shoot 5 shots and examine the results. Put up a clean target and shoot 5 more shots. But this time just look at the disc, do not look at the gun, concentrate on the disc only while shooting the five shots. If the disc is in the center of your pattern the gun shoots where you are looking. But if you want to use this gun for trap targets you will want the pattern to be above the disc. Trap targets are rising targets and you need a vertical lead to hit them. How much lead? That depends on your style of shooting and the game you are playing. HMB

4. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

That's just ONE of the dumb sayings associated with trapshooting. What if you're looking at the girl's "Ahem" who is shooting on post five? Another one is..."Shoot the target where it's at." Also, "stay within yourself". What Crap!

Booger

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In trap guns what it really means is that the line of sight from your dominant eye is on the same vertical plane as the centerline of the barrel when you fire the gun.

To achieve the matching of these vertical planes, your eye has to be centered over the bore when you mount the gun. Regardless of where you look for the emerging target and how you move the gun to intercept it, this geometry has to be re-establised by the time you fire. If you don't, you will shoot to the right or left of your line of sight.

Because most people set their guns up to shoot above their line of sight, it and the boreline intersect out a few feet from the muzzle. If you lift your head, you will open this angle and shoot below the target.

However, just as important as having a gun that shoots where you look, is to be looking where you want to shoot when you shoot and have the correct geometry between your line of sight and the boreline of the gun.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

"Shoot where look" is BS. Every shooter needs a reference to where their barrel is. Muscle memory and flash shooting is what most people reference as "shoot where you look". If you don't believe me, shoot at night while spraying "flat black" (pistol shooters use it to elimanate glare)on your barrel and beads. With no bead or barrel reference, you'll be lost. Sure you'll break some birds, but it won't be pretty, especially if your expect perfection.

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Dove, I am a left eye dominate right handed shooter, I HAVE TO have the gun shoot where I look. Someone doubted me several months ago and I patched my right eye and still ran the targets (and won the $100 bet). It can be done. AJ

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Tex, At night? You still need a reference. Bet you shoot off the end of the barrel. Well.. off the side of the barrel.

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I may have to try it in the dark, but a little hard to see the clay targets. AJ

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Gee...we have lights at our club. We even shoot night leagues!!!

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Having a gun shoot where you "like" to look or also stated as having a gun shoot how your eye wants to see "it" is hardley BS. In fact it is the key to this game. In my case I can answer this question. I do not shoot my trap gun from October every year until April. Last week I broke it out and went to the line. Even though I have been doing this for many years I always have a few butterflies, and what if's. I shot 99/100 from 16yd and 95/100 in doubles. As per defination, this gun shoots where I like to look. I highly doubt that one could preform any other test, other than some type of long lay-off like this to prove it.

GS

12. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

The key to good shooting is sound fundamentals and having a gun shoot where you look! You have to be able to really see the target and see the gun come into the target, if you ever hope to shoot in the upper echelon of trapshooting. That is what seperate the top shooters from the the good shooters. They see the target. They see the gun come into the target and shoot it! Dove, I am confident if you ask shooters like Kay, Leo, Phil and Frank Hoppe does your gun shoot where they look? The answer will be yes!

Rick

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

midalake, my statements are in reference to those that claim they don't have to have beads, or never see the beads or barrel when they shoot, or even removed their beads. They claim "it shoots where I look". Your statement is more of a gun fit/POI reference. If you had a glass, see through, barrel with no reference point of aim, and could break'em all, your gun would indeed "shoot where you look". I'm saying everyone uses a refence point of aim, a bead, a barrel, a barrel profile, etc. Remember, your eye is the rear sight, so where would your front sight be???

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well Dove yes and no. I can assure you that other guns that have the same type of all around profile design like my gun, I may not be able to turn a 15 of 25 with that gun.... How would you hang a definition on that??? There is a line between shooting what your eye likes to see and look at [Which I think is the correct definition] and having a gun shoot where you look....but it is a fine line. PS I only shoot with one bead on all my shotguns.......

GS

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you don't believe me, shoot at night while spraying "flat black" (pistol shooters use it to elimanate glare)on your barrel and beads.

Dovecommander, in referrence to this statement above that you made, is that doing so under lights?

16. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

I have set all my guns to throw the shot out where I am looking. to me, that is the answer. I have broke 98's, 99's and even a 100 with the beads missing off of my gun. Luckily I found them later, because I do like to reference them when I mount my gun. I try to mount my gun the same way every time. Then I concentrateon the bird. I try to maintain my mechanics, so the gun is moving with my eyes. IF i accomplish all of these things, I break the bird. I rarely ever see the beads while tracking, and ultimately breaking a bird. I do check the beads when I mount the gun, but after that- I concentrate on the bird. Just my two cents on the issue.

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Pheasantmaster, yes under lights. Eliminating all visual reference of the end of the barrel. If your gun truly shoots where you look, you won't need to see the end of the barrel or beads. I feel everyone sees the barrel or beads in soft focus, even if they are concentrating on the bird. If not, how do you establish a lead on a hard right vs a quarter angle right. What tells your brain where barrel placement should be? Muscle memory or barrel/bead placement in soft focus? Not arguing....inquiring minds want to know! BTW, I'm AA27AA, and pretty sure I know the answer, but open minded enough to know there are alot of ways to do it right.

18. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Here we go again: do we aim or point a shotgun? I have tried shooting at night under lights with my gun bbl in the dark;i.e. standing under a tin roof in the shadows with the end of my bbl completely invisible,no bead or bbl visible. My gun shoots where I look and if I keep my eyes on the target I can usually break it,BUT,even though I have been shooting long enough that normally I am NEVER aware of the bird/bead relationship,obviously I am because it's EASIER for me when I am in the light.Having said all that I NEVER try to make sure the bead or front of the bbl touches the bottom of the bird--trying to MAKE SURE of the shot in this manner will cause too many misses and confusion. Ever heard of a shooter saying I know I was right on that bird,why did I miss? It's because he slowed down long enough to get a perfect picture of the bird/bead and it caused him to miss.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just let your subconscious mind point the gun in the right direction. HMB

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Dove Commander you said ""Shoot where look" is BS. Every shooter needs a reference to where their barrel is." You make a point but you don't really seem to understand. It is a given that you need a reference to the business end of the gun. If you think it is not shooting where you are looking why not put a sight on the end of the barrel? Simple answer if you use a sight you must look at the site not the target. If you think that is not correct why does no one use one.

Your reference point is a trigger mechanism when the reference point tell the brain that the end of the barrel is pointed where your eves are looking you automatically pull the trigger if you don't you would usually Flinch. If you do and the bore of the barrel is pointed where your eyes are focused the target should break.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.