1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING WEST TO EAST, EAST TO WEST

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was speaking to a shooter this past weekend who is going to shoot in the near future out west for the first time. He asked if he has to make any choke adjustments when shooting out west compared to shooting here in Wisconsin. I told him I don't really know, but would ask. He thought he might have to go to a more open choke? If this true, when coming to shoot from out west to the eastern part of the country, do shooters use a tighter choke? any other changes that need to be made shooting from one part of the country to another?
    Steve Balistreri

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know why your friend would think open chokes are the ticket out west, we like smoke too. I use a tube that has 0.033" constriction for singles and 27 yard HC. That particular tube gives me the tightest most uniform patterns of all the chokes I have.

If your friend's set up works well in Wisconsin it will work well out here also.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

No difference in shell performance unless shooting at higher altitudes. I believe that higher altitudes the pattern does remain a little tighter and this is an advantage. I certainly would not change chokes.

Pat Ireland

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't see how shooting in a different state would make any difference in the choke you use. I say just stick with what you have if it works for him. Have him come by Kingsburg Gun Club during the Ca state shoot in July, it will be a blast (no pun intended).

Bryan

5. senior smoke

Pat Ireland:
    This gentleman that I was talking to mentioned that he had heard the higher the altitude the tighter your pattern becomes. I think that is the reason behind him questioning if he needs to go to a more open choke? Now obviously, there are a lot of great shooters that live in the west that travel to the grand, do you think they need to tighten up the choke or do most leave eveything the same in your opinion. Are we talking trivia here, or is the choke difference something that can affect your scores?
    Steve

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tell him to relax and shoot what he does normally Steve. Lots of game shooters out here and .35 - .45 is not uncommon

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

senior smoke- There is some information suggesting that the reduced air density at very high altitudes does deform the pattern less providing a slight advantage. Scores at one high altitude club in Utah are consistently higher than other clubs. Background is one reason and slightly tighter patterns are another reason. I also suspected the increased uV light at higher altitudes increased target visibility.

Clearly, the less pattern deformity at high altitudes does not warrant a more open choke. The following is an example explanation using hypothetical numbers: In the South when shooting singles the 20 inch core of the pattern should break a target all of the time. The 20-30 inch area or the pattern will break targets some of the time. At higher altitudes, the effective pattern size is increased to something like, the 25 inch core of the pattern should break targets all of the time and the 25-35 inch band will break targets some of the time. Again, these numbers are not to be taken literally but are simply posted to show how the effective size of the pattern can be increased with less pattern deformation.

Air density is the primary factor that disperses shot in a pattern and Dr. Jones book clearly shows that shot move around a lot when moving to the target.

Pat Ireland

8. senior smoke

Thanks for your comments. To be honest, I have never shot in the west. I have played baseball in the west at higher altitudes and believe me when I say that baseballs seem to fly out of the park more often than in the east. All I know is most shooters that I know that travel the country seem to have higher scores out west. Does this mean due to air density that shooting out west is easier, I really don't know? What I will tell this guy when I see him Sunday at the club is shoot the same choke as you shoot here. Let's face it, trap shooting is a sport that shooters try to find any type of advantage they can in order to break one extra target. I don't blame anyone for trying, as I have lost numerous times by one target myself.

Trapboy, your dad was a great shooter. I could never break targets with a cylinder bore. In fact my 870 TB has 42 thousands of choke and I lucky break birds with that. I saw two other men that used very little choke when shooting. One was very very fast on singles, the other was a young man at the grand in Ohio shooting doubles. If I recall correctly, he had 2 thousands in the lower barrel and 8 thousands in the top barrel. Like Frank Little use to say, don't get hung up with trivia.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

I believe that any physical change in shot pattern is minimal from west to east. I do however think that many western trap ranges have much better backgrounds for shooting. It is not common to have to deal with changing leave colors in the west and that may be a reason scores seam better out here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.