1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting w/ Progressive Lenses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

For the first time, I ordered glasses w/ progressive lenses (I've never owned dedicated shooting glasses). The tops of the lenses are for distance anyway, so is it any problem shooting trap with progressive lenses? What about pistol shooting? You focus on the front sight, so mid/low-lens should be fine for that, right? Any other considerations/issues?

I tried to ask the opthamologist these questions but he was clueless.

-Gary

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of what you mean by progessive lenses, but if your talking bifocals I've had excellent results with Decot. The reading part of the lens is the size of the tip of a finger.

See link for image....

Decot makes non-prescription and prescription lenses for Decot Sport Glasses... as well as for your Post 4, Ranger, Browning, Serengeti, B&L Shooters, and Zeiss Shooting Glasses.

Plano (non-prescription), single vision prescription, and bifocal lenses are available. Bifocals are usually done in a small "round 22" for shotgun sports

3. Danny Mac

Danny Mac TS Member

I use progressive glasses now and I would not do it again unless I had larger frames. My current street glasses have small lenses (top to bottom) so the progressive transfer is very tight. I would use an old frame with larger lenses and get a single vision distance only correction. You will know when you raise your head because the target go blurry in an instent and "lost" rings in your ear.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just to clarify, progressives are lenses which GRADUALLY change from reading magnification at the bottom of the lenses to distance vision at the top of the lenses. They are not bifocals or trifocals, nor are they "invisible line bifocals." The principle is similar, but the transition is gradual instead of sudden, and the best vision area is in an hourglass shape on each lens. In other words, peripheral focus suffers slightly from what they told me.

-Gary

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

For trap you are OK. You look at the bird so your distance prescription will be perfect.

For pistol you need the center of the lens set up for looking up close. The front sight is only 30 or so inches away and that is what you focus on.

Don Verna

6. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Your street glasses are not made for shooting. Get a set of dedicated shooting glasses with your prescription. If you like the progressive get them, I will not be without them. The best frames are the ones with the adjustable bridge, set them up when shooting and when your done shooting lower them and you can wear them as sunglasses. I have a pair of Ranger XL and they work great with the progressive and precription for distance.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

BG: Thanks. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for them? My steet ones were just under $300 w/ flex-frames and good quality lenses.

-Gary

8. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

GW 22
    I paid around $500.00 in 1998 for 3 sets of lenses (3 different colors) and the frames. I would check the Ranger wed site along with Decot they both have great frames and lenses. Getting the right color that makes the target stand out is very important also.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

GW22,

If you are interested in progressive in Decot's, please let me know (I am a Decot Dealer). I will get you a price, and be glad to discuss options with you.

Matt Woodson (270) 804-5454

10. saluki79

saluki79 TS Member

I do not like shooting trap with my progressive lens glasses instead I wear contacts and carry a pair of cheaters for the small print. For pistol and CMP shooting I have a pair of knoblach glasses. My normal prescription for distance in the left lens and my bifocal prescription for the right lens.

11. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I would recommend distance only prescriptions for all shotgun sports. You are not supposed to look at the beads or rib, but just focus out at the bird. Bifocals will just cost you more than single vision lenses and not help you shoot. I personally don't even like bifocals for driving. I think bifocals may hinder your shooting especially if the transition area gets into your field of view of the bird. It will cause a distortion in the bird movement because of the change in radius of curvature. Billy

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wear contact lenses with plano shooting glasses. When I wear contacts I still need reading glasses to read or do close-up work. Consequently, most of my shooting glasses have a bifocal reader in the bottom of each lens.

My Decot's have "thumbnail" old style bifocals in them and they work nicely. Decot told me that they didn't do progressive bifocals so that't what I have.

Three Grands ago I bought some Randolph Rangers in three different colors and with "Verilux" progressive
    bifocals. I had them made in the next size down from the largest lens size. I use them for trapshooting and they work quite well. I have some friends, however, that don't like their everyday glasses' progressive lenses and can't get used to them.

I knew that I would like mine from prior usage in everyday glasses. Anyone with the same situation can try mine when you see me.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shot for years wearing my street glasses with single bifocal inserts. Even though my lenses are 54 mm wide my prescription is strong enough that there is simply not enough room for the kind of sweet spot shooting requires. The strength of my prescription made Decot lenses impractical because of how thick the edges of the lenses would be. I finally discovered the Ranger Sporter frame and Trivex lenses from Morgan Optical; 63 mm lenses make things clearer than they have ever been and the larger Trivec lenses are lighter than the smaller CR-39 lenses of my daily glasses. An inexpensive pair of self stick bifocal lenses help with the close work.

MK

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Corrective lenses have an optical center. That is the area of the lens that corrects your vision best. The optic center for shooting glasses is a little higher and a little to the left (I think) than it is for street glasses. Shooting lenses should be ordered from someone who understands how they are different.

Pat Ireland

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

The distance sweet spot in most progressives is just too small for optimal shooting--for me.

Like some others, I recommend either dedicated distance only shooting glasses, or my favorite set up, top-of-the-line distance contacts with non-prescription high quality shooting lenses. Just get a pair of Wall Mart cheaters for reading and you're good to go.

The contacts move with your eyeball, whereas the curvature of a prescription lenses is not linear and will cause some distortion as your eye moves in relation to the fixed lenses.

This is probably not so much of a problem in singles and Hcp IF you're keeping your head firmly fixed to the stock throughout the shot cycle. In doubles however, the eyes should quickly shift to the second target while your head and gun follow as a unit. I like to know my contacts are shifting in unison with my eyeball instead of looking through a different portion of external lenses.

Another benefit is that non-corrective shooting lenses are much less expensive than corrective, especially progressives!

Guy Babin

16. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I just got progressives two weeks ago. They are great for daily use but I would not shoot in them. I got them at lens crafters and also got a pair of carbonate lens single vision sunglasses (not bifocal) in shooter yellow for 110 bucks along with them. Told them I wanted light yellow...they have a 1 to 4 scale; I got 1.5 and they are perfect. Oakleys would have been 300-400 bucks as would most prescription shooting shooting glasses like a Ranger. Have been to the range 4 times and they work absolutely perfect for me.

17. CMT605

CMT605 TS Member

I just got new glasses recently and they are the varilux progressive lenses with the anti reflective coating.I have used them to shoot in and I see better with them then anything I have used. I only shoot singles and caps though. I like them so well I am taking my decots to my eye doctor and he is going to take all my measurements for me and fill out my prescription for the new lenses for my decots.
    Mike

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Excellent info. Thanks to everyone who replied.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best corrective lenses for trap shooting
progressive lens and shooting

progressive lens shooting glasses

progressive lenses for shooting

progressive prescription shooting glasses
shooting with progressive lenses
trivec benefit lens
using progressive glasses in shooting