1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting w/o choke tubes ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tugboat, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I have noticed some folks, on close SC targets using lead shot, remove their choke tubes and shoot "threads" for greater shot disbursal.. Any adverse effects to barrels? Thx for replies..

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

None that an expensive re-choking or re-barreling won't fix. Seriously, the threads on most threaded barrels appear rather shallow and not designed to take the forces of shot and wads being forced through them - even for a few shots. Regards, Ed

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I can't think of any possible advantage over using a Skeet or IC choke but only the disadvantages noted above.

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Why would you need choke tubes if you have threads? Ever wonder why the gun companys say do NOT fire this without choke tubes?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've done it in the past for a couple sporting clays shots because I didn't have a loose choke. It was with a Remington 1100, so I knew worse case scenario I could buy a new barrel relatively cheaply, so I rolled the dice, and didn't have any issues for a handful of shots. The walls on the 1100 barrel are pretty thick, so i wasn't that worried about it.

That being said, I definitely wouldn't do it on a barrel worth more than a couple hundred bucks, and wouldn't do period it if there were alternatives.

There is absolutely NO advantage to shooting threads over a cylinder choke. And if you split a barrel (some are VERY thin in the threaded section) you're not going to be a happy camper.

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

When the MT 6 first came out, an Ithaca pro (importers for P guns at the time) shot the preliminary doubles, at Vandalia without a tube in the lower bbl. I was in the Ithaca building when he returned. He was concerned that he had hurt the threads and had the gunsmiths look at his gun. They cleaned up the threads with brass barrel brushes, no problem. Steel, regardless of thickness, is quite a bit harder than high antimony lead.

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've done it hundreds of times, and seen it done thousands of times in the 24 years I've shot sporting clays. I've never seen, nor even heard, of a single instance of a problem.

But then, I'm a fairly dangerous man....known to run with scissors and on the FBI's most wanted list for tearing tags off mattresses and pillows.

I wouldn't recommend the practice to anyone else. Well....maybe Chuck Norris.

8. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I did it by mistake once I was shooting ATA and shot an 88 in singles. I couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. I went off to shoot my doubles, took out my o/u barrel and went to take the choke tube out of my single barrel. NO choke tube! I shot that 88 without a choke tube! DUH...

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I did it in pattern testing and did it over a chronographs today just to see if the reading was different from a "cylinder" choke tube. (it wasn't).

In my testing the patterns were somewhat wider than real cylinder and (variably) a good deal wider than "cylinder" choke tubes which are tighter the "real" cylinder and more like "real" 0.005 chokes, generally speaking.

Yes. I know that the most popular choke maker on the friendliest site says it's not true. But it is.

Neil

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Mike,

I know of one case that because a lot of people were doing it a shooter with an Win SX1 started doing it and the rib at the front of his barrel came loose.

Then again his rib may have been ready to come loose anyway. Needless to say after he got the rib fixed he got a Diffusion choke.

Jason

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Jason,

If that had happened to me, I'd have sworn off, too.

People wonder why it's done. I never knew a sporting clays shooter who thought it was somehow "better" patterning; most did it occasionally out of necessity (no cyl or sk tube handy). When I graduated to 2 chokes for sporting....choke and no-choke...I did away with the cyl tubes. Call me a pea-brain, but there were times I put in, or had in, a cylinder tube when I wanted my IMod. I found if I just put the IMods in and removed one or both when I was faced with a target inside 15 yds I did much better. Kinda hard to miss the fact that the tube(s) are not in. Sometimes that wouldn't happen for several tournaments in a row. So, while I shot threads hundreds of times, I rarely shot more than 6 in a day.

Now I use a superior system....fixed chokes and spreader loads.

12. Neil Winston

Jason, since in my testing the Briley diffusion choke patterned _tighter_ than the same brand of cylinder (the grooves require more metal=more choke) I think what he paid that extra ten or more dollars for was exactly what he didn't want.

Helix, Diffusion, Briley should be ashamed of themselves. Especially when their regular chokes are so good!

Neil

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Not as much as an issue untill you don't seat the choke tube in to the barrel the next time you use it and you find that the gasses get behind the tube and blow it out the barrel. usually no damage to the threads. problem is if you can't clean the threads after shooting with out a choke tube installed there is no guarantee tha you can seat the tube all the way in to the bottom seat on the tube.

Ive done it.Most sporting shooters I know have done it in a pinch but there is not much advantage unless you have nothing but full tubes with you.

Joe goldberg

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I did it by accident one time with a Browning gold auto. About half a box before I noticed my brain fart. No damage. Bill

15. jhoward

jhoward Member

I would think that the threads would grab the wad slightly and cause it to separate from the shot more quickly than it normally would. Might explain the more open patterns Neil referred to.

16. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Only fools would shoot a barrel with screw chokes removed. If you believe there is an advantage to shooting Skeet or cylinder bored choke tubes, then you just need a bit of time at the patterning board to prove your folly. Why would anyone risk damage to a $200 or $5000 barrel for zero advantage?? Lyle

17. Neil Winston

bossbasi, you ask

"Why would anyone risk damage to a $200 or $5000 barrel for zero advantage??"

when it's pretty clear from what introduced that that you have never tried it.

So our question is

"Why would anyone presume to tell others how something works when he does not, in fact, have the slightest idea??"

The pattern from "threads" is a little more open than real cylinder, even more open than "cylinder" choke tubes. I'd never do it to break a target; I just thought I would test "threads" since a popular choke maker made a whole lot of assertions about open chokes and each all had to be tested - he might have gotten one right, after all.

Neil

18. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Neil: You are absolutely correct in stating that I have never done any patterning work (or shooting) with screw chokes removed, nor will I ever do this to possibly cause damage to may barrels, thank you. If some one feels that shooting "threads" aids them in any way, please proceed. This could generously be described as assuming moderate risk for zero return.

19. Neil Winston

Make that "assuming an unknown risk for zero or near-zero return" and I'll agree, BB. As I said, I only did it to see what the effect, if any, would be, and I would never do it otherwise. I did it with three guns, though, and apparently nothing bad happened to any of them.

Neil