1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting w/ iPod?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've noticed that when I distract myself between shots I shoot better scores vs. thinking about the next shot between shots. Does anyone here shoot with an iPod? Any downside to shooting with them on?

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I been shooting with a ipod for two years now. I wish I did it sooner. It just stops me from talking to my self and my score went up.

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I agree they work great! When you are listening you think less.

Terry.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Terry,

Do you hit pause before you shoot?

5. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

No I listen to it for the whole 100 targets event.

It creates more good days and you enjoy your bad days much more and they usually aren't as bad. lol

I was in a huge slump breaking lots of 199's but never hitting the 200. The first year I listened to music I broke five 200's from May til October. That advice to try listening to music was thanks to Brad Dysinger.

Brad was listening to "smoke on the water" when he hit the 99 in the handicap at the Cardinal Classic. Knowing him as well as I do he was probably dreaming the smoke was from cannon fire.

Terry.

6. scorpman

scorpman Member

those who shoot with music - are you using the earbuds that go in your ears and using them to replace earplugs, or are you wearing muffs over your ears, too.

7. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I use etymotic er4p headphones occasionally for shooting and they work great almost to good as you cannot hear some one say pull. I use them mostly for air travel as they take up very little room in your brief case. They provide around 35db of noise reduction which is about as good as custom molded earplugs.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pro Ears with input jacks for Stero Ipod or other player.

HM

9. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

They work real well for drowning our loud callers on adjacent traps and also from loud talkers standing behind the field.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

To me...
    <center><I>Ipod while using a gun = cell phone while driving a car!</I></center>

MK

11. romie

romie Active Member

I shot with a Kid that had some on and he missed two birds called lost that were dead birds...one being mine..These are not a good idea in my opinion.They should not lead the Squad for sure.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Romie, just because he was the squad leader doesn't mean he is charge of watching everybody's target on the squad. It is your responsibility to make a note if the scorer called one of your targets wrong. If the person with the Ipod missed a call on one of his own targets, then too bad, but you blaming him on not hearing a call about one of your missed targets is wrong. I always shoot as squad leader and my best friend shoots as the 2nd shooter, and I very rarely see his lost targets because I am removing my hull and getting my next shell ready for the next target. I do see a lot of shooters 3, 4 and 5's targets, but I for sure don't see all targets of all shooters.

13. romie

romie Active Member

Mike
    I think you are right if he misses the call screw him maybe he will learn.I can see both sides as far as maybe it can have some atvantages between shots.Maybe!!!! but I still want to be able to hear the score keeper which sometimes I have a hard time doing.

I seriously doubt it would make a difference between a 199 and 200 but if I thought it did I would continue shooting with it and hope the score keeper didn't fail.

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

No rule for squad leaders needing to pay attention to anyones target except their own.

What planet are you shooting on?

FRedmon

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am afraid I might break into an air guitar session using my shotgun while changing from post 5 to post 1. But I did get a new set of plugs made at the Grand (earmold australia) - have an ipod shuffle with CCR, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, and even Dr. Hook - going to have to use them soon (before the music becomes dated).

16. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Romie, I have practiced while listening to my Ipod and enjoyed it, just don't know if I could do it in a shoot. Might have to try it first in a small one, or just a single event. I know what you are talking about wanting to hear the scorer before changing stations, and I purchased a set of the molded plugs by (sorry, by I had to screw up the correct name), but I think it was Big PaPa, and his molds were made to accept different style commercial ear pieces, with the sealing off like molded plugs do. I found a set of Koss ear pieces and they have an in-line Mute button, so as the scorer would call out the scores, all I have to do is hold down the mute button. Pretty neat set-up. Mike* (MH*)

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use a shotgun. Can't throw an iPod hard enough to break targets consistently.

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Quack,

How hard can you throw your shotgun?

19. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Listening to music while shooting is no different than driving a car with the radio on.

Terry.

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rich219

Don't need to throw the shotgun, since it is designed to send a payload out with sufficient force to break the targets. Never saw an iPod with a trigger or other mechanism that would cause the same functionality as my shotgun. If I find one, I might be pursuaded to carry one a lot more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.