1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting unreported Nationally

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by davetrack, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davetrack

davetrack TS Member

On Sunday December 17, 2012, 2 days after the CT shooting, a man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his X-girlfriend. After he shot her, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater. The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It’s like the Aurora, CO theater story plus a restaurant!
    Now aren’t you wondering why this isn’t a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?
    There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. SHE pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.
    Only the local media covered it. The city is giving her a medal next week. Just thought you’d like to know.

Hmmmmmm..

Dave

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I did see the article it was buried in the rear section of the newspaper

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

They don`t want to hear of heroics by Gun Carrying Citizens simple as that . Glad you posted this .

4. 548

548 Guest

I wonder if the federal government (I know you guys don't like the government, stick with me though) should pass legislation requiring off duty peace officers nationwide to carry a concealed side arm anytime while out in public (another words when you're not at home).

My department only requires we carry off duty if we are using the patrol car and so the public readily can identify you as a peace officer. I normally don't carry off duty because it's nice to be "off" and not have the responsibility of that sidearm all the time. Recent events are causing me to re-think my off duty responsibility to the public who paid to train and arm me.

You ask how the federal government can affect department policy? Good question - over the last two years the department of justice (Feds) got tired of paying out death benefits to cops who were killed with firearms while not wearing the body armor partially paid for by the department of justice. The Feds finally came up with this requirement - if a department does not have a mandatory wear policy for it's officers, the department will receive no federal assistance. It was a logical policy and it worked, countless officers who chose not to wear body armor wear it now.

I really think something like this can work in regards to mandatory off duty carry also. You would triple the number of cops in public with weapons over night when you factor two out of every three cops are on days off, vacation, sick, you name it. Cops are cheap SOB's, just give us a little tax credit or something to compensate for the off duty "duty".

5. Catpower

All the cops I know in Texas do carry off duty

6. 548

548 Guest

There are departments that require it already.

7. Catpower

They all do it voluntarily

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Buried because it didn't "fit" the agenda!!!

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

So cops are a special category of humanity who should be treated differently than other citizens? I think not.

Why should a cop be required to carry concealed while I am in "go to jail" jeaporady if I do? Given most citizen handgun carriers are at least as good with their sidearm as most cops, we should ALL be unhindered from carrying.

10. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Back in the 60's when I lived in Anarillo the Chief of Police required his officers to be armed at all times while in public. His motto was "always on duty". May not be that way now. Jimmy Borum

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

jbbor;
    You said it, the "60's", back then people were way more community service oriented and thought nothing about it.

To comment on the thread subject: As stated above, not the correct agenda to report.

12. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Unfortunately these days cops want compensation for everything they do. So if you require it, they want compensated somehow. I've been one for 26 years. Not that it is totally wrong, but people want paid for everything these days. Travel time to training, etc.... If I had all the money that I could have been paid for I would probably buy a few more guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.