1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting under the lights 1929

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tachyon, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

May 1929 Popular Mechanics.

"Floodlights totaling 2,000,000 candle power have proved sufficient for lighting up trapshooting fields.
    F. W. Ralston lighting engineer for General Electric was the first to conceive the idea of floodlighting baseball diamonds for night playing..... Because the pigeon are on the rule painted black, yellow rings painted on their backs enable the gunners to get a clear vision of them as they passed through the beams of lights.

"The earliest form of trapshooting at night was done by Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley with glass balls lighted by means of arc lights suspended in the air. This was done about 1894.

2. Janet

Janet TS Member

Thanks - Really enjoyed that - had many a good time shooting under the lights
    here in Ohio. Wonder when the first white bird was thrown at night?

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Must have been an Annie Oakley. Every bodys' got their guns up.

4. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I still love shooting at night under the lights. Especially in the fall monthes. It brings back the memories of shooting trap as a young man with my father, and old friends telling thier stories or BS to anyone that would listen... I heard many a tale and learned much about nothing except, who had the newest and shiniest trapgun, and how poor they were shooting it at that paticular time. I may have learned about some other stuff that doesnt pertain to this discussion. (cussing for instance). I got to hear from many fellow shooters how nice it was to be absent from thier significant others, and wondered how it was possible that many of them, had been married for 30 years or more under such abusive conditions....lol. (My fear of women didnt end until I was almost out of high school)....lol. It is without a doubt the best environment for a teen to be raised in. It was often during those nights, after winning a few rounds that a certian respect was gained by those old timers. Thier hand shakes and pats on my fathers shoulder would confirm, that later, I might have a shot at telling some fishing tale, and getting away with it...lol. I dont recall if it worked or not. Sadly, night shooting seems to have been put away just a few years ago here in mid missouri. The economic crunch perhaps, seems to be taking more than I care to give it. At least I still have the memories.................Good Luck

5. Janet

Janet TS Member

Yes, but when were white clays introduced first. I loved shooting white birds against black sky. So exciting -

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I find this picture interesting. NOte how vertical (erect) the shooters heads are. Their bodies too. Alomst as if they are ahead of their time.

7. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Hard left and them lights are history Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.