1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting two eyed.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I know this is a bit of a set up but I'm interested in hearing from some of you.
    Who has switched to shooting two eyed? Who made you switch? Did you do it on your own or with help. Did it help you? Did you learn anything about your shooting . Did it help your shooting scores or consistancy. Do you feel there is any advantage.

Joe

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I switched about 10 years ago. I read an article about less eye strain and better depth perception using two eyes. It helped my shooting but I only got the full benefit when I found a gun that hit where I was looking. HMB

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I shot one-eyed in my 20s, because that was the only way I could hit anything. Later, I decided to learn to shoot two-eyed, because of the presumed advantages. It took me a really, really long time to get used to it. I don't have a dominant eye, and my left eye takes over at times.

I tried going back to one-eyed, but can't stand it. I'm a righty and have trouble picking up left going targets one-eyed. Plus, it gives me a headache now.

I pick up the target much better using two eyes. If I hold on the top of the trap house, the typical spot for a one-eyed or no dominant eye shooter, I find the relatively large swing give my left eye more time to take over, and it often does.

I recently made a new temporary stock that fits. I changes my shooting style to be more like what the Italians teach. I hold the gun high, at least horizontal, and make a quick move to the target. My left eye still takes over sometimes, but not as much as it used to. I am shooting almost as well as my past best, and having a lot more fun.

BTW, I've recently noticed that if I shoot a lot of pistol during the week (at least 200-300 rounds) I can get through an entire event without my left eye taking over.

4. just_bob

just_bob Member

I started shooting 5 years ago right handed and one eye. I'm left eye dominant and it was recommended that I try from the left side after about 3 months and maybe 3000 targets. It only took me about 500 targets to better myself from the left side with 2 eyes. I was fortunte that a straight stock fits me from either side. 2 eyes is just more comfortable for me. I don't think it matters as much if you only shoot trap.

just_bob

5. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I started trap shooting registred in the 1994 area
    I shot one eye as that is how I shot well
    1996 ans 1997 I made the state team shooting with one eye
    Between 2001 and 2008 I really didnt shoot that much
    I started to drag race in 2000 and it took over my life for the most part
    This winter I started to shoot at a local club and about 6 weeks ago after reading several posts on this forum I decided to try 2 eyed
    I have shot 2 Ata registered shoots and at both I have won
    2nd place in doubles at my 1st shoot
    and 2nd place in over all handi cap at the 2nd shoot

I have to say 2 eyed is the only way to go if you dont have eye issues
    The biggest gain I had is in doubles
    Iwont go back to one eye trap shootings

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Mike-Anything is possible if anyone says something is not it only means it hasn't happened yet.
    The second question they are very differnt. The first is a Neurological condition caused by problems of laterality the second is the result of an improperly executed shot.

Shoot well joe

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I shoot sporting clays and recently became a two-eyed convert. I took a lesson from a master class shooter who told me to mount the gun, make sure the butt is in the shoulder pocket and you have a good "fit", close your left eye, get the mid and front beads lined up, open your left eye and focus on the target only. do not look at the beads or the gun barrel. If you have the barrels properly lined up to your dominant eye, anywhere you look, the gun will shoot to that point. If you try to look at the barrel/beads and the target, you will get all screwed up, at least that's what happens to me. My instructor told me to just focus on the target with your eyes, your barrel is already lined up to your eye so anywhere you look, your gun will shoot where you look.

I have been a one-eyed shooter up until a few weeks ago. my scores are improving little by little (I need to work on crossers and quarter shots but trap like targets and teal shots are a breeze now.).

-Mike

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

What is the "problems of laterality" ???

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I am curious to know how many one-eyed shooters have tried to convert to two-eyed unsuccessfully. Before I knew I had eye dominance issues, I tried for six months and had decent traps and horrible traps - never had a 25 - with no clue why. I finally quit trying and have enjoyed a little success one-eyed (in 2000, I had two 200s and was punched from the 23 to the 27, mostly by shooting "automatic punch" scores).

Ed

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Who has switched to shooting two eyed?

- Me, about 10 years ago, before I got involved in registered trap shooting (just shot for fun on occasion back then.)

Who made you switch?

- Nobody. When I was a kid, my dad always told me to shoot shotguns with both eyes open. I just couldn't figure it out until I was an adult.

Did you do it on your own or with help.

- On my own. My scores suffered for a while, then when it clicked, my scores rapidly improved to better than I was before.

Did it help you?

- Immensely

Did you learn anything about your shooting.

- Yeah, I sucked as a one-eyed shooter and was likely not going to improve much. Shooting two-eyed, I am a much better shooter now than I ever could have been shooting one-eyed.

Did it help your shooting scores or consistancy.

- Yes, both.

Do you feel there is any advantage.

- Yes, if you can do it.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well done Timb99. Well said.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have always been a two-eyed shooter. Oh, I have tried to close my left eye just to see what my daughter and here husband go thru, but when I was learing doubles, Jack Gracey taught me this sequence.

1) cover the first bird and pull the trigger.

2) do not wait to see the break

3) switch your eyes to the second bird as soon as the first shot goes down range. Let the gun come to your eyes and the second target.

4)shoot the second bird naturally.

I find/found this a near impossible scenario once I switched to a double release. Adn the fun in doubles was over. The first bird was a snap, but the confusion in my mind as I tried to set the release was not easily overcome. And so I shot at odd times because the trigger was not properley set. And I was shooting 1100 releases and Perazzi releases.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Now we're getting involved in a diatribe about the necessity of shooting two eyes to be a successful trapshooter. Everyone knows it's real nice to be able to shoot with two eyes instead of one. Unfortunately not everyone can nor should they force themselves to make the change when peer pressure says they must. Simply stating that the road to higher scores is through two eyed shooting ignores the ability of the brain and eye to adapt successfully to limitations.

For the record I shoot two eyes but had my clock cleaned many times by superb one-eyed shooters-including my wife!!

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

MIA, a friend at the club switched to a release/pull for just that reason. It worked for him.

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Ollie,

Get packed up and get on the road.

/\ BUMP /\

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Bob- What I think people are referring to as cross dominance is actually weakly defined laterality. Laterality is what determines which hand we use; which eye is the master image and even how we think. Dyslexia is an example of impaired laterality. This does not mean that one is handicapped just not in balance. There are corrections while shooting and prior to shooting which will help.
    Joe

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jack, what you are telling us is that you really don't need a release. I tried shooting my gun with a release just for grins one night and at the end of the shoot, declared that anyone who used one was nuts. I just couldn't set it without concously thinking about it and subsequently missing the target.

Then a few years later at a Saturday league shoot, I started flinching. I flinched while shooting practice Tuesday evening so I reinstalled the release hook and shot Wednesday evening. I had a 14 on my first trap and a flinch and trigger-setting-error-free 24 on my second with the same release trigger I couldn't remember to set before.

Why the improvement? My brain knew that I HAD to adapt to that backwards method that it previously resisted because it at that time knew I could hande a pull trigger.

Here's some more food for thought. There is a popular belief that if a shooter can handle a release-pull setup, he/she really doesn't need a release at all. Most people in that category can force themselves to use a single release but struggle with a double release. Sound familiar?

Ed

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Dawg- I know your looking for a fight but so far you wont get one. I agree with most of what you have said and it is correct. You seem to think it is not worth trying and that is where we differ.

Forty years ago Dyslexia was considered a form of retardation and virtually ignored and untreatable. Now we know much better. In some instances people with this condition excel in sports like Bruce Jenner or Magic Johnson.

Five years ago we knew hardly a tenth of what we know now about the brain in these areas. MRI Mapping has taught us that it is indeed possible to change ones wiring and laterality. Ten years ago I would have said it was impossible but today I know better.

Not everyone should make the change yes! Everyone should investigate the possibility. There are many who have made the change successfully this you cannot deny. There are many who would benefit. In my opinion there are a few who wont be able for various reasons. Many more who are unwilling to put in the request effort.

The road to higher scores: properly looking at every target with one or two eyes. It's just easier to see a target with two eyes. No where all the problems come into play are that there is a difference in seeing and properly looking at. That needs to be learned if it does not come naturally.

Joe

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Let 'em all shoot one-eyed, but please play all the options.

Curt

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I became a two eyed shooter in my efforts to learn how to shoot 'gun fighter' style in the SASS game. That style requires you to fire a single action pistol from each hand in alternating shots, both eyes have to do sighting jobs. If anything, I was training myself to be cross dominant. Eventually my weak side (right) became more proficient than my strong side.

But both eyes open stuck with me in all other shooting activities, even scoped rifles. The benefits of both eyes open, for me at least, are speed and accuracy. I have experienced cross firing while shooting trap and it is frustrating to say the least.

Can anyone do it? I have no clue because it isn't possible for me to see through anyone else's eyes. Could I teach someone else to shoot exactly like I do? No way, and I don't see the benefits of even taking that approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2 eyed shooter seeing double trapshooting