1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

How is it that if you set the gun up to shoot 80/20 you hit the targets hard then the wheels fall of the next shoot and you lower the point of impact to 60/40 and hit those targets hard or the same thing with holding high gun, low gun or look through the gun down to see targets exiting or wait to see the target clear the barrel. Question is when you change to the different things above that you shoot the hell out of the targets for a few shoots and when that fails you change and shoot the hell out of targets for a few more shoots and the cycle goes on and on. Same way with thinking verses not.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Some days it works............some days it don't?

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

My guess is your onboard computer is still keying on the same sight picture whether you consciously see it or not. Remember, just for the heck of it, moving all my stock adjustments to their furthest extreme, and it really didn't change my scoring percentage at all for 2-3 practice rounds that followed. Was really aggravating too. I was hoping to get my gun to shoot higher and I couldn't tell the difference. Good luck.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club LOL. It's called a short circuit between the ears. If you ever figure it out PLEASE let me in on the secret. Ross Puls

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Don't tell the secret on here....sell it for Big $$'s

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

At today's Winter League shoot, my squad consisted of three on a very windy day. The two of us who are regular competitive shooters shot 23 and 23, 24 and 18 and the new guy shot both in the teens. So what made the difference?

Well, the new guy is all over the place cause he's still learning our sport. My buddy uses the same gun in summer and winter despite the heavier bulkier clothes (hence the 24 and 18 in my opinion). This year, I decided not to mess with my regular gun, so i cleaned it and put it away till Spring. I use a 2nd different gun for winter shoots that I painstakenly set up to give me the same results. On this SG, the rib is a lot lower (more POI), the monte carlo is a lot higher, and though the butte pad is at the same height, the toe is angled out severely -- about an inch more than my other gun. ...for the past 4 shoots I have been amazingly consistent and shooting 48, 46, 47 and 45. While I still have a way to go, this is Not like last year where a 25 was often followed by something in the teens -- or vice versa like a 15 on the singles and a 25 in handicap -- talk about frustrating!!

Long way to say that the gun mount, the stock positioning and placement on the shoulder (hard in winter thru heavy and thick clothes), the sight picture, how you stack or line up the beads, how you position your head on the stock, the point of aim (height off the house), and everything else must be consistent and constantly repeated in the same manner for every shot every weekend if you want consistent results. That is one tough thing to do as all us will attest.

Now, if every weekend, you are tinkering/changing the rib height, monte carlo height and side adjustment, and making butte pad adjustments to change the sight picture, you are guaranteeing yourself inconsistancy! Keep it simpele and change only one thing at a time. Start with patterning your gun to see if the POA gives you the POI you want. If it isn't, put all the adjustments to a neutral position, and adjust only one at a time until you get what you want, then move on to the next. It's a painstaking process cause its supposed to be. It took me about 12 days of trying spread out over 4 weeks to setup my winter gun.

Or you can spend $$$ for a pro to fit the gun to you, show you how to develop a consistent gun mount, and fine tune the rib and stock adjustments. Good luck!

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Anytime I have ever changed anything on my gun it's taken at least 3 months to get use to the change (good or bad). You must be patient in this game. It's a lifetime endeavor, not a short race.

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

It sounds like some similar to newgunitis. When you get a new gun, or make a change like you are talking about, you tend to focus more. You want to see if what you did made a difference, so you pay attention and do everything right. After a few rounds, or a few weeks maybe, you start to relax and things start to go badly. Not because of the adjustment, or lack thereof, but rather because of a lack of attention paid to what you are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.