1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting trap with the beretta al391 urika 2 gold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lawton, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Some available information states the weapon aims high. Is there a best way to line up the beads and aim at the clay when shooting trap with this shotgun?

Lawton

2. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

stack the middle and front beads in a figure 8. Stand at station 3 on trap field and have the trap throw straight away birds. Start by putting the bird on top of the front bead and pull the trigger. Make adjustments from there. Hope this helps.

3. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Thank you trapshooter421, I will try this tomorrow.

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If your shooting the Parallel Target it will shoot a bit high. On occasion I shoot my AL 391 Trap Optima and it has a higher point of impact and patterns approx. 60/40. I certainly do not have to cover the bird or loose site of my target. Enjoy it, it's a good target gun.

5. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Spanky and xtj,

It is the Parallel Target SL with a 30" barrel that I am shooting. I have been able to hit 23 of 25 only once. I am plagued by the bird that goes straight away and will frequently miss -- I guess I miss high. I do like the weapon very much. Prior to this I shot a pistol -- favoring the 9 mm or the 45 ACP, due to prior military exposure. The idea of a moving target and about 2 seconds to acquire and hit is a lot more fun. Thanks to all for the advice. Let's see what tomorrow will bring.

Lawton

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm willing to bet your problem is like mine. You (me) pull and lift your head up and away from the stock on those cake targets. It doesn't take much head movement. I know I'm my own worst enemy.

7. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Spanky,

I will remember that. If I would move my head it would be on those birds, as the ones to the left or right require me to have cheek to stock and closely follow the bird as it leaves the house. I have been doing this for about 2 months now, as I got the shotgum for Father's day and a few of the folks I work with wanted to try the sport. I really do like it.

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Straightaways are not really dead straightaway they usually are going subtly left or right....

generally folks shoot left of a right moving clay or right of a left moving bird, it a very deceptive shot.

I sometimes shoot a 391 Field and it shoots dead flat, cover the bird.

I also shoot a 391 Teknys that has a rib mod and shoots 60/40.

regards

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Let us know how you make out. If what you have is the Parallel Target you're setup for trap. I hope you get to shoot some skeet and sporting with it and let us know how you did with it. I ran into one of the Beretta guys and they told me that it was fine for all around clay shooting. I bought my Urika Trap Optima 30" a few years ago and recently picked up the 391 Urika 2 Sporting 30". I've gotten bit by the Skeet and SC bug and have got hooked. It's something I've wanted to do for years and years only to get into the rut of shooting trap due to the convienience of it. Don't get me wrong I love shooting trap but, it's been a good thing for me to go at these other targets. I just kick myself in the a$$ for not doing it much earlier. I just like breaking targets. I'm certainly no trap guru by a long shot. On the day I die, if I can get to a point were I can say that I've shot trap, skeet, 5-stand and SC's and be half decent at it and had fun while doing it I'll be satisfied. I don't shoot competitivly it's not for me, I have other interests, SMALLMOUTH BASS AND HUNTING. Time and dedication is hard with other outdoor interest and a family. But, I'll tip my hat to you guys who've put in the time and dedication to the shooting sports.

10. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I have owned both the Parallel Target and Trap 391 Urika Optima. Both guns shoot high. I can pull the trigger when I a foot below the bird and break it but if I am 1/2" above the bird I will shoot over it.

As mentioned before most "straight aways" are not really straight away, focus on the leading edge of the bird in the direction it is going not the center of it and stay below it.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Take just a bit more time with "straightaways"....as stated above, they aren't usually truly straight shots. Also (going on a bit of a tangent here) it is my opinion that a good trigger is vital in the game of Trap and autoloaders have notoriously lousy, sloppy and slow triggers. Slow isn't a problem as long as it's a consistant trigger. I've found that the best trigger for a 391 is a 390 or any of the previous models and have a good trigger job performed on it by a reputable trigger guy (mine are 303's that were done by P&P). These older trigger assemblies have a cast housing and take and keep the trigger job for much much longer than the plastic housing used in the 391 and 3901.

Shoot well and stay safe!

12. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Gents,

Thanks for the very informative advice. Yes, I do shoot the Parrell Traget and really like the weapon and the sport. I do want to investigate skeet, sporting clays, and 5 stand. I shoot at a facility a little south of Fort Worth and they have trap and skeet that I have seen and I bleive others clay sports as well. Like I said, I have been at this for 2 months and maybe get out 1 - 2 times per week on a very good week. I have meet a lot of great folks. Today was not a good day and was an unusual day for the range as well. The birds were of two colors -- orange and black -- and there were several problems with the house. Sometimes you would call for 4 - 5 birds before a shootable bird left the house, as they often broke upon exiting. It really does mess with your rhythm and concentration. Despite all of this I did lean more about how to shoot the straigh aways. I agree they are very deceptive. If I can remember to take my time with these and place the sight just under the bird I seem to do OK, but more work is required and I look forward to it.

Good shooting to all.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

*For future reference, we don't call our Sporting arms "Weapons"....they are "Sporting Arms" or just plain "Firearms".

Best regards

14. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Tron,

Thanks for the note of clarification.

Lawton

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Lawton, you don't "aim" a shotgun. The only thing the beads are for is lining up before you call for the target. Once you've called pull your focus should be on the target. What you need is an adjustable comb and/or rib so you can set the gun up to shoot where you're looking.

~Michael

16. Lawton

Lawton TS Member

Slick 13,

Thanks, I have an adjustable comb on my shotgun. I'll work with it.

Lawton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable comb for beretta 391 urika 2
al391 urika shoots high
beretta 391 urika trap shotgun
beretta al391 gold trap

beretta al391 urika trap

beretta urika 2 gold

beretta urika point of aim
putting a adjustiable comb on a bretta al391 urika