1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting trap with a 1100 Sporting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Just put a straight comb or monte carlo buttstock on it.

The comb height is actually the same on these two stocks, but the butt is dropped lower on the monte carlo, which gives the optical illusion that the comb is higher. Generally, if you have a short neck, go with the straight comb. If you have a tall neck, go with the monte carlo.

These stocks are for sale here often, and you can place an add. Earlier 1100 stocks will have pressed checkering. Later stocks and 1187 stocks (which readily interchange) have cut checkering, so make sure about this.

Doing this will generally change your pattern from 50/50 to 60/40.

And... it's what I did to my 1187 field gun. Installed trap stocks on it and improved it.

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sure--just get a Meadows industries Comb raising kit that you can put on and take off when you change from Sporting to Trap and you are in business. Nothing better then an 1100 for crushing clays! You can use the sporter as is if you just want to cover the target. Because you are/were an accomplished shooter--you know the drill and should have no problems. Another inexpensive way to go is to buy a used 1100 trap stock for $100. Have fun and Merry Xmas.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You don't need to change the comb height between sporting clays and trap when using a trap stock. The change in POI is not so great to make this an issue. In fact, I installed monte carlo stocks on all of my hunting 1187s as well, so the POI is the same on all. Now if the POI change was like 70/30 or 80/20, yes, this could be an issue.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A buddy of mine shoots trap with one, its shoots a little flat. Go out and have some fun with it, I'm sure in no time you'll be shopping for a trap gun. Wyne

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

The standard assumption is that a sporting gun has to shoot too flat for trap. Take it for a test drive yourself and make your own determination. You might be pleasantly surprised. No need to make things complicated without good reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

comb height on stock for shortnecked men