1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting trap gun for upland?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

after the grand my shooting turns to doves and pheasants.been missing a lot of doves and just wondered if after shooting a high rib 80/20 all year then going to a 50/50 field stock might be the problem.thinking about using the sx-1 trap for doves and pheasants.any ideas about this?tk's Tracy

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I haven't had as much effectiveness with a field gun hunting since I was 12 or 13. I darn sure haven't used field gun configured stocks for the last 35 yes. Even my rifles have jacked up combs.

3. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I do it with my Citori XT but it is more like 45/55 if not 50/50. It works plenty well for Skeet also and if you compare the specs of XS's and XT's there is about a 1/16" difference in the height of the comb, otherwise the same gun.

This year I'm shooting my Browning Sporting Clays edition in .410 at doves.

It works just fine for Skeet so it will hit the dodgers as well.

The only thing I see as a problem is hauling a 9.5-10lb. gun around all day.

Randy

4. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

I quit the field stocks and stuck with a trap stock for birds a few years ago and I will never go back. I think a SX1 Trap would be great for doves and pheasants., if you are used to shooting a comb that high or higher.

5. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I had the same problem and brought a Beretta 390 at Wallyworld. I had a midbead put on it and got the trap shim from beretta that sets the stock higher. I can shoot it very well on anything that flies or sits in the water....... Look at the leatherman cheek pieces one of these may be the answer I have one on my inline and model 500. Check out url above.

6. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I can hit em with anything, but i use my A5 for my hunting gun.

Kenny U

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of my serious rooster guns is a Beretta 391 trap model with a 32" bbl. What is important with a shotgun whether it be in the field or on the range is that it shoots where you look. If you set the SX1 up for the trap range and are shooting it well there then you should expect similar results in the field. Just stay away from trigger mods like a release or something with the safety disabled.

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I go from trapshooting with my Seitz & MX-8 to shooting birds with field grade 1100, M-12, 42 Win, Citori, 11-87, Mag 10, etc with no problems.

9. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am another MX8 fan for upland. Why not shoot the gun you shoot the best, the birds and dogs deserve it.

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

on a dead straight away- where are most pheasants hit---- in the butt!!

the average trap gun shoots 6-10inches higher than a field gun

what is the distance from the butt to the head of a pheasant??? 6-10 inches

if you like seeing what you are shooting at-then a trap gun is the choice!!

weight is generally the problem when carrying most trapguns!!

11. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

It is 1986. I have just come off a very good trap season. My singles average was 94.6 that year and my Zone team won the Kansas State Zone shoot with a 987x1000. November rolls around and Pheasant season opens up. My English Cocker Spaniel, Bart of Bretlyn, and I are at a 750 sq.ft. Plum thicket when day breaks. I take my BT - 99 in hand and let Bart run. 3 dram equivalent trap load, one shot, dog flushes a Rooster. GAK-GAK-GAK-BANG. Down comes the Rooster. Fetch. Hunt up another one Bart.. GAK-GAK-GAK-BAM. Another. Hunt the third. 3 up, 3 down, less than 10 minutes. Opening day is over. Take those Roosters home and clean and dress them and they are shot to Doll Rags. Though the breast meat was OK the whole back and wings were ground up very bad. Shot and feathers driven into the meat. I have not shot at another Pheasant since then. Quail, I can't even salvage. Doves, the only thing left is a pair of wings fluttering down. The hunt is over for me since that year. I can't NOT bust a smokeball out of a bird.

Don T. Littleton CO

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Does your BT-99 have a safety ?

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I never thought of doves as "upland game". Most upland game is rising when your gun goes off. So is a trap target.

I've not shot a field gun in the field for 40 years and I shoot 100% high POI. Even crossing shots are no problem.

For field, nothing beats a Beretta auto. Light weight, little recoil. I love my sXs's and O/U's, but never use them in the field. Just admire them in front of the fireplace watching The Outdoor Channel on Sundays.

My HP rifles are set up w/high stocks and scopes set to float target so I don't have to block out (and lose sight of) the kill zone. I want to always see my target clearly and can't do that if it's covered up.

anyway, JMO.

uncle miltie

14. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've shot my Broadway for years hunting. It is also my trap backup gun.

15. flashmax

Doug, Absolutely. The same safety that has been effective for centuries.

Don T. Littleton CO

16. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Since my sietz doesn't have a safety I will not use it for nothing but trap. I have my berreta 391 20 gauge shooting as hi as I can with the shims from the factory. my Beneli super black eagle is also is shimmed to shoot hi. Both are shooting hi enough I can shoot trap with them.

17. flashmax

There it is Fred. Pretty simple but sometimes even the simplest of things need to be spelled out. You did it well.

Don T. Littleton CO

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It's done all the time,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My 870 field gun. I just can't shoot anything flat. It's set up for 70/30 POI.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tronspace/media/DSCN1298_zps946125dd.jpg.html" target="_blank"> DSCN1298_zps946125dd.jpg </a>

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

IMHO the lack of a safety on my sbt would be a problem. Bill

Search tags for this page

high rib shotgun field pheasant

shooting trap with an upland gun
trap gun for upland shooting