1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Trap after 30 year break

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Walston, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walston

Walston TS Member

Well I am thinking about joining the local club and starting to shoot trap again. I haven't done it in 30 years, been busy raising kids and all that. I still have my REM 1100 that I used to use (new in 1969), but I think I lost my 30" Full Choke VR barrel. I think I loaned it out a long time ago and forgot to who. I have the 28" mod choke I used to rabbit hunt with, but I remember needing the full choke from the 27 yard line for trap. I also have a Browning Gold semi automatic that I was given as a gift several years ago, but I have only shot it a few times, it has a changeable choke. Seems like a nice gun.

Now a few questions:

I read something about using steel shot you need larger choke. Can you still use lead for trap shooting? If not can you shoot steel through a full choke without damaging the barrel? What size choke do you'll recommend for trap?

I haven't shot the Browning much and I still really like the feel of my old 1100. Can I still get a full choke barrel for an 1100? Anyone have one they want to sell?

Any other advice for a fella who's been out of the game for a long time?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You can still use lead. I don't know anybody that can afford to use steel shot for trap.---Matt

3. Walston

Walston TS Member

Thanks Matt, that's good news, I was hoping that we have not totally gone nuts as a country. I guess that means that I need a 30" full choke VR for my 1100.

By the way, my name is Wally

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get a full choke barrel and possibly a stock with an adjustible comb, and your all set. You may not need the adjustible comb, but your set up will be more flexible. The 1100 will work fine!

5. philk

philk Member

Welcome back, 16 years off for me. If you do use the Gold be sure to get a SureCycle recoil spring assy. and keep the bolt rails well lubed.

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Wally,
    Start a WTB 1100 30" full choke Barrel post . You will find one here I am sure. Welcome Aboard, Bill

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wally-- Welcome back by the way. You see already that you will get many different opinions here. That doesn't mean that any of them are wrong, its just there is so many different setups and options. For the most part trap barrels are usally 30" to 34" now days. I use a improved modified choke from 16yds but you will see others use a full. The choke for smoke opinion is very common here. I use the choke for broke opinion. You will have to figure all that out yourself so get a barrel that you have screw in choke options. Good luck Wally.

8. Walston

Walston TS Member

I used to shoot trap at 16 yards with the barrel I still have, the modified one, but it was not too good from 27. If we can still use lead I am certain that I want a full choke to shoot from 27 yards. I am not completely new, I did this quite a bit back in the day.

Thanks for all the advice fellas

Wally

9. Walston

Walston TS Member

I'm a lot slower than 30 years ago also.....smiles

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Nice shot Bar. I particularly like the LOP tirgger

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bar. Send me your orig of that will you? Thanks

12. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

welcome back. Iam 71 just started after a 35 year lay off, I guess you could say Iam like a kid in a candy store. really really enjoying my self

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.