1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting tops of targets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Getting used to a new gun. It is among the fastest swinging & pointing guns made & combined with an incredible lock time of .0005/sec. I have to slow down quite a bit or I swing past the target. Currently using an IM choke & when I'm on the target totally vaporize the target. Trying to find out will I be better off going to a Mod choke & lowering the pattern from 100% to something lower, I can go to 70/30 with the rib adj. I plan on selling my old gun., which I shot well. This new gun is like going from a Towncar to a Ferrari. I know I will get to shoot it well. Since I now look at registered trap as expensive practice. I would like to keep my classification as high as possible to avoid the dreaded term ---sandbagger.

Lou

2. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

Ya know, if your shooting out the tops of rising targets that is just where I would want to be. Most people are unaware of this but in reality it is that it's pretty hard to shoot over a rising target. Most people that say they shot over a target really lift there head, stop the gun and shoot under the bird. This serinaro however gives the illusion that you have shot over it. If it was me I would keep the gun at 100% and put the full choke in. Even with singles, this tight pattern keeps me from getting sloppy. I shoot a Seitz with a 36" high pattern and a fixed full choke done by Tommy Wilkenson. Even with this setup I touch the bottom of singles and drive through the bird. Lock time and handeling traits of the gun have alot to do with this.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

are you shooting 100's with smoke? or do you lose more than a few? If so, try a mod and see if the extra few targets you gain is worth not having all that smoke at 16's.
    It's about how many you break, not how good you look doing it after all.

Jim
    Michigan

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What is this new target crusher?

5. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well I would say if your breaking the tops of a lot of targets drop your POI down to 70/30 and you should be having perfect breaks. There is no need to learn how to shoot trap all over again. Just set the gun up so it matches your style of shooting and go for it.

6. yansica1

yansica1 Member

I am not a Trap shooter but we shoot a lot of going aways at sporting over here. I would have to agree with the posters suggesting that YOU dictate the terms to the gun and not the other way round.

What caught my eye about this post is the bit about the tops of the targets being hacked off. This is entirely possible of course and in many ways a good sign of shooter consistency. Lowering the POI whilst maintaining the same rythm should centre these targets more regularly.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Went & practiced with the new gun yesterday: did two things, lowered the POI to 90/10---greatly reduced the "topping effect" and extended my grip on the forend, thus slowing down my swing time. 1 more issue remains, I sometimes release the trigger too early and with its incredible lock time, there is no way the tail end of the shot column can get any part of the bird, if I can't get this corrected the builder will slow the trigger for me.

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.