1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Too Fast --How to maintain control

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gunnerx11, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Here's my problem, I shoot lightning quick from the 16 yard line. Too quick, I
    just over react, out of control, especially at the start of a event, I call pull
    and fire, out of reaction, Unable to wait for the correct sight picture. Whats the secret to controlling ones emotions, I am not spending enough time with
    the target. What to do, What to do, seeking wise advice. Thank you for your
    time and expertise.

Thanks for Sharing,

Gunnerx11

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

At least your disease has a name-Earlitis. That one was given to a shooter named Earl at our club with the same affliction. It's a tough one to overcome and I've never found a cure!!

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I had the same problem a while back. One day a shooting buddy of mine offered some help. He took my gun and shells and called pull. It seemed forever before he fired. Then like he said "That target was a ways out and it still broke." He did it again several times. Then he put me on the line and kept preaching to me "don't pull, don't pull". I learned from this that you don't have to fire when the bird clears the house but give yourself time to get on it. Worked for me, hope this helps. Then I watched another buddy of mine that is a 27 yard shooter and has won some very impressive events. I noticed he waited until HE was ready to fire to pull the trigger.Your bird, your money. Make it count.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I prefer not spending any time with targets, that's why I try to destroy them. Seriously, try closing your eyes until after you call pull. Another method might be to shoot delayed targets that randomly release a second or two after your call. Sometimes you can compensate for your lack of stamina with foreplay:)

Robert

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's nothing at all wrong with shooting quick guy! As long as you can control your version of "quick" for success. No extra points for quick unless YOU can control the move and the bird/bead relationship. Without that, your wasting ammo and time.

I'd suggest taking a better look at the target, actually seeing it with eye intensity before blasting away toward the way it went? Allow your upper body control of the gun while allowing the body lock to catch up with what your lightning fast eyes can see?

Take a look at your pattern size at the estimated distance your taking those shots too!! SMALL comes to mind here with out of control haste. Digest a tad of this and possibly more will come.

Hap

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike.... There is a very simple cure for your problem that works almost everytime. If I were to guess, I would say you have a very short, agressive call when calling for the target, right? Try relaxing your call and try to drag it out a little bit before shooting. The quick, agressive call equals a faster shot. An easier, slower, less aggressive call equals a nice, smooth, controlled shot..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

You always want to shoot a rising bird, so shooting fast is not bad, unless you have bad scores.
    Try this. At the practice trap, make a game of tracking the bird, then waiting till the bird peaks and shooting low under it as it drops. This is good practice for those windy days when the bird is up and down and you track it longer, shooting as it drops, and also for the second shot on doubles if you're slow.

8. rodney57104

rodney57104 Member

Gunner, Enjoy, but harness your skill of quick target acquisition. Try what I do. Hold a higher gun before you call pull. Be sure and hold to one side or the other of the area you expect to see the target from. You have the natural ability to see it fast. Avoid the temptation to move your gun towards the house (backwards) to shoot the target. Be cautious of the birds that will come from under your gun then reappear, you can kill them too! It may feel a little like you are spot shooting them but its hard to criticize a ball of smoke. Your timing and fast shooting will not change but it feels like its taking FOREVER for the target to get to you. Enjoy your sport!
    Rodney AAA/27/AAA

9. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

I agree with Rodney about the higher gun hold. The higher hold, along with waiting until you see the bird above the barrel will make the birds seem to travel a lot slower and you will perceive the shots, even the hard angles, to be much less difficult. I see a lot of people(most) that shoot very quickly because they react to the sight of the clay by jerking the gun in the direction of the clay with their hands and arms. I call these folks front arm shooters. With a low hold, this equates to shooting over a lot of straight aways. Try using the main muscles in your body to control the gun, instead of your hands and arms. Instead, focus on your hips, torso and legs to swing the gun. The result is a much smoother move to the target, and much more controlled. Only thing left is to wait for the muscle between your ears to tell you when to pull/release the trigger. Try it, but give it some time to adjust. I shoot pretty quick, but not with my arms. Good luck!

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Try Rpdney's approach. If that is doesn't resolve issue, come back here for help.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use Puuulll-IIiitt when I have a slow puller, it will work with a fast shooter too. Just call Pull it, that will slow you down.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I also agree with Rodney as I have the same problem. I have for years held a high gun and lots of the time don't move the gun 6 inches to aquire a target. I assume you are a two eyed shooter.

Dave

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Tough to control yourself shooting next to Britt Robinson. I have. I just to do my own thing and marvel at what he was doing next to me.

Ron Burr

14. johnstefanowicz2

johnstefanowicz2 TS Member

Thank you, HAP. Your "eye intensity" remark meant a lot. Thanks again. John

15. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

When I work with youth there are always a few with this problem. I teach them a mantra that they say slowly. Since there are usually a couple of coaches working with kids it is not too distracting to have them practice dry on others birds, but not a good thing to do with grumpy old men.

I have them say:

"Pull"

"see the bird" - finding the bird with their eyes and starting barrel movement

"catch the bird" - barrel moving to where they are watching the bird

"shoot the bird" - squeezing the trigger

"Follow the bird" - encouraging follow through

It should take 2-3 seconds to say the see-catch-shoot mantra

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Delay your initial barrel movement slightly. I do this when being the second, or third shooter for an Annie Oakley.

17. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

Over reaction can come from two things: 1) you are extremely emotional or 2)your natural reaction is above the normal when you see the target.
    There is no reason to " slow dow" in a sport that relies on good reaction time.!1!
    What to do is to find the right setup to match your reaction with the speed of the bird.Do a drill, hold the gun beneath the trap house roof and look about the house. See how you catch the bird. if you shoot behind it, raise the gun a little bit at the middle on the roof and so on.
    Adjusting your hold point will take you where you harmonize with the bird.
    If you shoot fast, put an ic choke on your barrel!!

We are different so we have to try different approach!

18. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

When I find myself shooting in a rush I'll take a box and shoot a round doing the following:

I take my normal stance, put a shell in the chamber, close my eyes, mount the gun and call pull. Once I call for the bird I can open my eyes and go after it. It slows me down, trains my brain, (for a short while at least), that the bird can NOT out run the shot and I can still break them if they just happen to get a few yards farther out.

I suppose if I did this on a regular basis I might really and truly ingrain this into my thick skull but then again I am thick. At least it slows me down for awhile.

The other suggestions above will also help a lot towards training yourself to wait until you FULLY see the bird. No harm in trying all of the suggestions.

Greg

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Have someone stand behind you and manually pull targets at varying time delays. Just remember speed kills when you get on the 27. Don't slow down to much. Speed is good. Juan Fango, the greatest race driver of all time; stated "drive at 9.99 out of ten and you'll win most of the time,"

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most posters are ignoring the real problem. Speed to the target is great but shooting when you're ON the target is likely the issue. Some shooters seem to have some sort of anxiety reaction to the targets' appearance and throw the muxxle into the direction of the target hoping for a hit. Cures are often elusive!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
im shooting trap to fast how can i slow down
shoot trap fast or slow
shoot trap too fast
shoot trap too quickly

shooting too fast in trap

trap and shot quick