1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting to the Left

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I was patterning my MX-15 yesterday and found that when lined up with the beads perfectly stacked the gun shot significantly (half a pattern) to the left each time. The gun was not on a stand but I braced my arms well on a table and the "to the left" results were consistant over about 12 shots. Does this indicate a barrel problem and is it something that someone like Doug Braker could correct when I sen the gun to him for bluing next month?
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I was using new STS shells so it is not a reload issue.
    Doug

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Please -- I'm begging -- don't anybody say it.

-Gary

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I won't say a word

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

D'oh!

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Neil. That is a huge "boogey-man". Citadel is too raw to deal wiht that solution.

The D-ster has opened a large can of last summer's night crawlers.

6. ken a

ken a Member

Neil is that a part of a barrel broken off in the crotch of the tree? Ken

7. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

I had a gun that shot nine inches to the left it can be corrected just send it wilkinson he will get it shooting strait again.

8. citadel

citadel Active Member

Well there are certainly a lot of opinions, some good, some interesting and some ,,,,well just "even more interesting" and some that I just don't understand. The remmington sts loads shoot straight as a die in the MX-3 that MIA sold me last year so it is not the loads. I will talk to Doug Braker and see what he suggests.
    thanks for your help.

doug

9. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Citadel.....you are going to find that the next gun you purchase (if the mx is traded) will probably also shoot to the left..... Please dont bend the barrel in a tree fork..... Just try this little experiment: Go back out to your pattern board, put a shell in it, put the gun to your shoulder, OPEN BOTH EYES , focus on the smallest part of what you are shooting at, pull the trigger and wha--laa. Dead center everytime....... You will be suprised at how many great shooters do not pattern thier guns at all. This seems to be a common problem with guys that are stocky in build. Dont know if you are or not, just a hunch..........good luck

10. JACK

Doug. The first thing you do this AM is get an empty 20 ga (spent hull) and cut all but 1/2" of the plastic off. You can empty a loaded 20 ga and shoot the primer off without danger too. Then punch out the spent primer. Stuff the hull into the choke of the gun and look thru the breech thru the bbl and thru the primer hole. You will see "concentric rings". If each successive ring is perfect then the tube is strate. But if the end ring (s) are small to the right side the bbl will pattern left. This is called "Peep sights".

If the rings are perfect, then the rib is most likely slightly off center. That can be resoldered by Giacamo to be strate.

If both are strate, it could be that you are "canting" the gun into your face and that will cause the gun to shoot left too. Mount the gun in front of a mirror and look at the gun's attitude. If it is canted so the top of the gun is more into your face than the bottom, then you will shoot left.

Shooting half a pattern horizontily off is a big deal.

Too, Learn the "Winston 13 yard method" for analyzing where every gun shoots. Taht is a must for a guy that wants to shoot more than one gun. I shoot the galvanized pattern board at "cross-hatch marks". I do this standing from 13 yards. It tells me where I am shooting the gun, left and right and up and down. I set up every gun I intend to shoot this way. The "hits" speak for themselves. I'm pretty sure this test was of a MX15. I shoot about a 90% high gun. Perhaps a bit more. These hits will average about 5-6" above the cross-hatch.

[​IMG]

11. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I'd try letting someone else shoot it - could be a fit problem causing you to jerk it to the left when you pull the trigger. Maybe try shooting it left hand and see it it does the same thing.

12. Neil Winston

Trapboy, your thought that the tree was used for bending from "one side only" only shows the genius of the design and brings up the two common ways of getting bends "the other way."

1. The approved TS.com-equivalent method - also known as the hard, time-consuming, and expensive way whether it works or not - would be, I guess, to uproot the tree, hang it temporarily upside-down from a skyhook, and accomplish the counter-bend. This would have to be preceded by at least a week's discussion on the method, the political implications of digging up a tree (with special reference to Obama), an exhaustive, if imaginative, determination of "who does the best job," and at least a couple of people storming off never to come back until tomorrow.

2. The NW way: I turn the barrel over.

Neil

(GW22's solution, to send the barrel to Australia where all the bends are the other way has been dismissed as impractical.)

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Silly me. I would walk around to the other side of the tree.

If you bought the gun from a conservative, would it shoot to the right?

HM

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

MIA, I tried that on our 1/4 steel grease board and was promptly smacked in the face with the rebounding shot. I decided to only do the 13 yd. tests on the paper. Please be careful what you're shooting at. All the best, Bob

Also, you mention the "peeps". I'm sure you must have seen the aluminum ones sold at the Grand in the early 80's. I lost mine in a house fire 16 years ago, I wonder if there is any of those still around. I don't remember who made them, but they were handy, but rarely used.

15. Neil Winston

Halfmile, you wouldn't walk around to the other side of _this_ tree; there is drop-off into mud on the far side.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Is that moss on the north side of the barrel adjuster jig?

17. JACK

Bob. Those were "Seehase" peeps. One set has been for sale on TS in the past 4 years. But I find the 20 Ga works just fine. I think the guy wanted big bucks for the originals. I have the o=riginal Seehase brochure on dig if anyone wants a copy. I'll send it out on HTML inserted email.

Seehase believed in (amongst other things) porting (gasp). He talks about it in hsi brochure. I tmay have been a bit selfserving. But the guy knew his stuff.

[​IMG]

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Canting the gun is an interesting thought- here he was on a table but he might have the stock set up to shoot straight from his normal ( unsupported hold) where he does in fact Cant

someone should watch you shoot- and you should pattern the gun free standing- maybe 10 shots at 12 yards- and see where the center of that pattern is

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. Neil Winston

Canting the gun say, ten degrees can be expected to move the POI about 1/5 as far to the side as the gun shoots high.

Thus, in the most favorable reading of "half a pattern" Doug's gun would have to shoot about three feet high, in which case shooting left is the least of his problems.

Neil

20. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for all the input. The gun goes not shoot any higher than I want. It works fine that way. To center the pattern (left to right) I have to keep the rear bead to the left of the front bead in the sight pattern down the ramp. I shoot with both eyes open and watch for teh bird and my other guns do not have the same issue. They hit right where I point them with the point of impact that I have set for each gun. It is something with the MX-15 itself or something that I am doing with that particular gun that is diferent from the others that I play with.
    With all the good input I have received I will work with it and see if I can figure out the difference and also talk to Doug Braker about it and hopefully correct the problem..

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.