1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting to low

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Straight99, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

My shotgun shoots ok at 16 yards but beyond the 22 it shoots low. I have to cover the bird to make a solid hit. I can adjust both the rib and cheek piece. The rib is all the way down at the front of the barrel. Will adjusting the cheek piece up move my pattern up or will my sight picture be wrong? Thank You

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Your eye is the rear sight. If you move it up so will your POI move up. Don't worry about what the beads look like. If your rib is all the way down in the front then that is all the ajustment your going to get out of it. Get your POI where you want it with the comb and if your worried about stacking the beads then adjust your rib to suit you.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Will adjusting the cheek piece up move my pattern up or will my sight picture be wrong?

Moving the comb up will raise the pattern (approximately 2" for every 1/16 inch of comb movement on a 32-inch barrel. As long as you are looking down the center of the rib, there is no "wrong" sight picture...there is only the sight picture you need to duplicate each time you shoulder the gun.

"I do use my center bead to make sure my gun is not "canted". If your beads are aligned your gun is not "canted". If they don't align your gun is canted."

Sorry goose, but that's not necessarily true. If your pupil doesn't align with the center of the rib with the gun dead level, canting the gun to the left (right-handed shooter) can bring them into alignment. If your pupil does not align with the center of the rib, the beads won't line up but the gun can still be dead level.

Morgan

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

goose- Canting a gun means that it is rotated, usually clockwise, and not level. It is quite simple to rotate the gun and keep the beads aligned. If the beads are not aligned, it is a head position problem, not a canting problem. It is possible to keep the gun perpendicular with gravity (no canting) and cause the beads to become misaligned by changing the cast on the stock.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.