1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting tips when switching guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by typhoon, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

I've been shooting the same gun for several years with good success, but recently busted an ejector and may want to enter another shoot before it's fixed. I have a back-up, but have shot it very little. I am deliberately avoiding going into the specifics between the two guns. Suffice it to say they are quite different brands, but one reason I bought the back-up was it's similar fit & feel to my main gun. I will say the back-up has a higher rib.

Assuming both guns fit, or are very close, any short-cuts for a smooth transition from one gun to another? As an FYI, the very first time I shot the back-up, I broke 23 of 25 with it. My personal best event with the "main" gun was a 98 at 16 yards.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I shoot lots of different guns. It's part of the fun of the sport for me. The main difference that I have to get used to, when using a different gun, is the trigger pull. I spend a few minutes dry firing the gun, with snap caps if an O/U, to get used to the creep and pressure needed to pull the trigger. Other than that, it's mental thing if the POI/POA is significantly different than what I have been shooting. Mount the gun, call for the bird, see the bird, shoot the bird. Mark

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I change guns on occasion, just because I can...LOL...but, seriously, the first thing I do is have the trap set to throw straight away birds. I start on post 3 then work out both ways till I am comfortable with the sight picture, mounting the gun, trigger pull, reloading and breaking birds consistantly. I think confidence in your gun is critical and knowing you can break bird with the new gun is a good start. IMHO...

JON

4. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

These are both good tips. I especially like the mounting and dry firing tip, as you can do it anywhere and does not cost anything :).

Shooting straight-away targets is also a good idea. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Don't change guns. Pick one, get it to fit and stay put.

Guy Babin

6. RayReys

RayReys Member

I'm with Oregunner on this one...I've been using 5 'main' guns for trap and (recently) sporting clays, which doesn't include occasional use of my 20ga guns for fun, and I'm pretty consistent with whatever I shoot...(though I still have off days with any one of them haha)

Me personally, I can shoot a shotgun I've never shot and do fairly well... I don't really think about it much other than, "let's shoot this one" and I simply have at it and adjust as necessary. I can't shoot that well with my SxS though - I'm still working on getting used to that sight picture :)

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Put your main gun on a pattern board at 25 yards and measure the point of impact. Do it 5 times. Then adjust your backup gun to shoot the same place on the pattern board.

It's a start.

8. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

Dear Guy, I'd rather not change guns, but as I said at the beginning, I don't have choice if I want to shoot anytime soon. Old faithful is awaiting parts and repair.

Setterman, I like your tip but don't have a conveneint place to pattern. Besides, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have a book by a well known shooter who sees little value in patterning. For one thing, shooting off the bench is a lot different than shooting off your shoulder. This is why I like Jon's tip of shooting strait-away birds better.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

9. dward

dward Member

I'm with Setterman on this one. I would/did pattern at 15 yds from a rest to simply see where point of impact is compared to the other gun. I bought a 2000rs last fall after shooting an mx8 for years. I didn't pattern it and actually thought I was shooting low when in fact I found out it was a tad high.

Why wonder when you can know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.