1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting tips- how to stop shooting over the top?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi guys,

Just after some expert advice, I shoot pretty well (97-99% by our rules) but find the targets I miss are usually straight away targets.

I find I shoot over the top of them. I was using a flat rib Perazzi that was shooting very flat, and having this issue. I have since started using a higher rib that is 1 3/8 high with 1 3/8 drop at the comb and heel, which means the gun shoots a little higher than it used to but the visability is excellent.

I now smack the angled targets of 16 yards beautifully with the 6 choke but still find myself sneaking over the straight away every now and again.

I have tried holding a little lower on the trap house which seems to help, but was wondering if you guys had some more suggestions that may help?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You're more likely shooting under them if straightaways are you main problem. Set the trap to throw straightaways and have someone watch your shots. That's the only way to find out for sure. Once you get your confidence on them everything will fall into place. Good luck, mate.

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Start your gun (hold point) to the side a foot or so from where you normally would. It turns that straight away bird into a slight angle target. Basically never set up for a straight away.

4. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I'll give that a try thanks 2500 HD. Will be especially worth a try on lane 3.

Our targets are probably not as consistent as ATA trap.

Does anyone aim down on the trap house over there or always high?

5. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I start below the top of the house and to the right on 3 &4. 5 & 1 I aim at the center stake in front of the trap and low. On 2, I aim just slightly left of a straight away. I had the same problem you have. This helped me a ton and made me get on them quicker. You stop aiming and just shoot em!!!!

6. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

From the "Free Advice Is Worth Exactly What You Paid For It" department:

Without seeing you it's probably impossible to diagnose, but, based on the fact that you're doing it once in a while and not consistently...the first thing I'd check is your muscular tension level and whether you may be pulling/pushing the gun over top with your left hand (assuming you shoot righty). Make sure you're controlling the gun with the right hand and see if things improve.

After 32 years of shooting that one still gets me.

J.F. Wolfington
    Phila., PA

7. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks Voolfie, I am righty.

Problem used to be worse with my old 682 beretta, barrels were real light and I used to swing it way too quick!

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If you are shooting over the top, take just a little more time and let the straight-away climb close to it's peak. This also will give you a chance to see if it's also angling slightly left or right. Most guys I see miss straights over the top, are shooting too quickly, their gun is moving up through the bird when they pull the trigger.

Wayne

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

wayneo has the right idea, also if you can hold out a little further on the fore-end this will slow your move to the target and give you the time wayne was talking about. I have that same problem & that seems to help me, you don't need to exaggerate the reach just a little maybe 1 inch (experiment). That and as with any target don't move your gun until you see the target not the streak. Ross Puls

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

if there is a slight flip to the muzzle end as you pull the trigger(making you shoot over)--then you your are raising/lifting your head off the stock!----but franke hoppe who writes for trap and field said " it aint always how it seems"--meaning , when you think that you are over -you really are under the target!!!!

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

2500 HD. That you begin down in the roof means that is good for you. But it does not diminish your other idea. When on 3 and having some difficulty with the strate aways, I move the gun over to 4. On 2 I move the gun back towards a 1 set-up. But later after i straten out, I go back to regular set-ups

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Don't move your gun until the straight away clears the top of your barrels. Never Never lift your head to see a target.

You may have a stock that although it shoots where you are looking is not really fit properly and your compensating for this.

Joe

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

MIA you are correct.

14. jwells

jwells Member

not to give advice but i find myself doing that from time to time. i caught myself calling for the bird and moving the gun at the same time, not identifying the target before i moved toward it. seems like you cant recover from that on a straight away as easy as you can an angle target

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dan, your reason for believing that your gun shoots higher now is, unfortunately, entirely invalid.

"I have since started using a higher rib that is 1 3/8 high with 1 3/8 drop at the comb and heel, which means the gun shoots a little higher than it used to but the visability is excellent."

The numbers you gave do not mean anything beyond they being what the gun _measures_. Data like that, while no doubt accurate, have nothing to do with where a gun shoots. They just don't, that's all.

You certainly are shooting well, but might well shoot even better it you cleared your head out. Starting with you don't really know where your gun shoots in comparison to its predecessor.

If you still have the flat rib Perazzi you can go right out and find out how they compare. But even if you don't, it's something worth the effort to nail down. The link above tells you how,

Oh, and how to stop letting the gun sneak over the target? Well, two things.

1. Just don't do it. Control the gun more. It doesn't slide over the target by itself. You do it. Quit it.

2. Once you know where the gun shoots and find it is a little high and straight and so can be made to work, then you can spend a bit more time analyzing your misses. If you are a bit more under than you like and get a great break, consider that your gun might shoot a little higher than it needs to. Lowering the comb might pick that bird that you are just a little high on. And the opposite is true too, of course. That is, if you are just a bit low and you miss entirely, think about it. Likewise over. If you are _just_ over, what happens? How about if you are more over?

I think it's nice to be able to make a bit of a mistake_both_ high and low and still usually get a piece off the target that will help you get that perfect score. You are mostly there already, after all.

By the way, as you continue to try to optimize your vertical POI, don't, I repeat, don't "read the breaks" for clues as to where the bulk of the shot cloud is going. It doesn't work, and if you are interested, I'll prove it. Rather, you will prove it for yourself.

Neil

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

The advice to make sure your cheek is on the stock is very good advice. I've found that whenever I (or another) feels that they shouldn't have missed a target, it's 99% sure that you brought your head up off the stock. The advice to slide your hand out an inch further on the forearm is also good advice. On any straight away target it's a good idea to take just an instant longer to 'park' your sites uder the target. It can't out run your shot, right? Now, if your problem is more likely to happen on your handicap yardage, you must think Under (first) and then ahead (second). The reason being, if you think ahead first and under second you'll be covering the target with the barrel before you get to that ahead position for hitting the target. And you can't hit what you can't see. Last note on your cheek; Make sure that you feel the bone of your cheek on the stock. You can get sloppy and start to 'cheat' up from your stock.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A lighter or heavier bbl will contribute to this problem. Changing bbl weights will cause minor timing changes.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Neil, if you analyze your misses you will become very good at missing targets. Analyze your hits and your scores will go up. HMB

20. dward

dward Member

When I shoot over the top of any target, I'm usually getting too quick and jumpy with the gun. If I'm shooting an event, and feel I'm getting too quick, to slow down I mount the gun slowly, which reminds me to be slow and smooth.

But the target that speeds me up is the hard angle.....either side. So to "practice" shooting slow I lock the trap for the hardest angle and shoot it intentionally slow. You'll realize that the target can't get away from you, if you keep your eyes on it, and there's no need to rush after it. When you move back to post 3 staying slow and smooth becomes easier for me.

Good luck "down under" - Big Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.