1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Tips for Serious Shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hipshot 3, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

If you're not serious about perfecting your trap shooting,go to another thread NOW. But if you are, then be aware of the following:

1. Try not to engage in conversation with other shooters before shooting.
    2. Do not talk to other shooters on line.
    3. Pay no attention to how other shooters are shooting or how they call for the target. Don't allow yourself to be distracted by ANYTHING .
    4. Elimination of all unecessary movement is important. Call for the target also in a way that prevents having to move the lips....use "Hey" instead of "Pull".
    5. Don't rest the muzzel on your toe. You don't realize it but this causes a sensation on the foot which could impact your memory and may cause you to miss a target moving in the direction on that side of your body{whichever toe you used}.
    6. Use a high enough Hold Point that prevents chasing the target up from the house. Then just move the gun horizontally to catch and dispatch the target.
    7. Do not allow anyone/anything to rush you. Th
    ere's more time than you think!
    8. Reload right after a shot,gun muzzel down,gun held still,finger off trigger.
    9. Eliminate all movements just before shooting,except to raise the gun straight up to mount it. Its already closed and loaded.
    10. Use the widest,most comfortable shoes and loose clothing.
    11. Shoot 25 from the hip once in a while to improve hand-eye coordination.
    12. Use quality glasses that highlight the target properly. Always shade the eyes with a cap/hat.
    13. Use loads that have a greater number of pellets.
    14. Use an Imp Mod choke unless your hand-eye coord is outstanding....in which case, use a full choke if you want to[BUT NOT NECESSARY].
    15. Stand up straight....don't lean into the shot. You will tract the target better.
    16. Be sure your gun fits and is balanced between your hands.
    17. Reduce recoil any way you can[long cones,in-stock devices,pads,etc].Never anticipate recoil....just let it happen.
    18. Be sure there's NO trigger creep and set the pull as light as possible while still being safe.
    19. Use quality shooting gloves.
    20. Start on station one, if possible, to prevent walking from 5 to 1.
    21. Swing easy with the target and fire when you catch up to it, but always keep the gun moving at the shot. Sorta like painting the target smoothly out of the sky!
    22. Never think about your score....that's distracting! Good scores will follow good shooting.
    23. Be confident you CAN and WILL break ALL the targets.
    24. Forget a miss immediately....stay positive!
    25. Be consistent in your mount. Raise the gun up to the cheek, touching it lightly[NOT HARD].If the gun fits, the alignment be correct and it will shoot where you look.
    26. Don't look at the barrel or bead...forget they are there. The bead is used to establish POI only!
    Don't worry about seeing a figure 8.
    27. Forget about everyone/everything else....its just YOU, THE GUN, AND THE TARGET! All other thoughts out of mind!
    28. Stay alert....never let a target surprise you when you call for it.
    29. Shoot relaxed....not tense or tight!
    30. Don't anticipate target flight direction. If you have a dumb machine....then its OK.
    31. Don't smoke or eat before shooting. Be sure nature is not calling[THE BITCH]
    32. If the puller is a Mariyln Monroe look-alike, forget it. Theres time later!
    33. Use a "Breath-Right" strip on the nose to help breathing and assist in keeping the glasses in place.
    34. Use Soft-Focus just before calling for the target.
    35. Get a good night's sleep before shooting.Don't be tired at all.
    36. Shoot to please yourself and your own standards and have fun. Never to impress others or to let a scorecard control you. There will be good days and bad....stay cool and accept that.
    37. If ANYTHING worries you about your gun, equipment,load, or clothing ,etc,
    correct it before shooting....it could affect your performance.
    38. Understand that shooting is 90% mental and 10 % execution.Its you against yourself and others.Stay focused and concentrate on your shooting!
    39. You must cause the gun to do what you want it to.Its only an object!It will do whatever you make it do....no matter how much it costs.
    40. Gun type isn't all that important, but the better the quality, the more your confidence in it and the more your fun shooting it.
    41. Remain aware of Safety,but don't always be looking for something thats not safe at the expense of your shooting. In other words, don't dwell on it to much.
    42. An upper body daily exercise routine is very beneficial.
    43. Don't shoot in the rain....know how to adjust to different wind conditions.
    44. Become consistent "where" you break targets on each station.
    45. Never hold a long gun mount. Fatique sets in and shooting goes South.
    46. Don't swing the gun with the arms....twist at the waist[HIPS].Twist the whole body.
    47. Don't use a wide stance. That restricts body twist.Heels should be about 6 " or less apart.
    48. Don't face the traphouse....stand at a 45 degree angle to it and orient your body on the white 50 yard stake.
    49. Use a high rib if possible.
    50. POI{Point of Impact}on a trapgun must be about 12" high cause the targets are all rising and going away.

Other tips from experienced are welcome. Please add them on this thread to help other shooters. Thanks! ...............Shoot Well!

2. Hauser

Hauser Member

There is a similar list for golfers.

Its called the 27 most important things to remember during your downswing.

Actually most are good suggestions except for the POI stuff.

Jerry Hauser

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most good idea's. Some, well.........it's good for you, but some won't work for me.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Several good tips, and several that are questionable by Frank Little, Ray Stafford, Kay Ohye, Leo Harrison and me.

Pat Ireland

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Use a gun that fits. Shoot one load. Develop a practiced routine for foot placement, gun mount and hold point. Watch what the targets are doing on each trap. Be aware of the wind and changes in the wind. Be aware of the sun or amount of daylight. Keep the brim or your hat in a position so that it does not block too much light. Forget about everything except the next target. Cal for the bird and shoot instinctively.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Pat......Which are the questionable ones and why? Hey....I'm trying to learn more to. Thanks!

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I have yet to remember...

(1) keep face on stock,
    (2) watch the leading edge of the target
    (3) keep the gun moving

all during the same shot.

How am I expected to remember a list of 50 more things and still have time to call for a target?

Morgan

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Relax and concentrate on one target at a time!

9. calilori

calilori TS Member

A few of your tips are in direct contradiction to what the pros teach. What works for you just might be lucky that it works for you but is not necessarily a good tip. Some of your tips were excellent and spot on, it's always nice to see a list and remember some things that we have forgotten to remember and I've only been shooting a little over a year!

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

forget all the tips, see it kill it! They call me the machine, I do everything very repetitive, learned that from golf and billiards. I have reached the point now that I know it was my lack of concentration, or just that huge hole in my pattern when shooting Rem gun clubs. I agree with most of the tips. When shooting for a score I tend to be non sociable. That's how I stay on track. I have a set routine I go through. My scores have gone up and stayed up since I established my routine. My average at my clubs summer league was a 23.9 out of all scores. picking the 2 best per week I shot a 24.6. Now if only I shot well in the beginning of the year right after I bought my XT my average in ATA would be better. Only got to shoot 8 events this year. my best score 94singles and a 96 in caps from 22. All tips are to be taken in steps 2 tips that really helped me follow through or stay in the gun after the shot. Another tip that seemed to work for me is after pulling the trigger keep the trigger pulled follow the pieces or target to the ground. 2 tip was to do with time or timing how ever you look at it. I think this tip gets you to be on the target more than anything. After calling I was told to say I see you then shoot. It helped me. I also agree with a higher shooting gun. I have mine set to shoot as high as possible at the moment. I love the target above my barrel. It is easier for me to hit targets that stay in sight. With my 870 I would have to cover the target, then I would catch myself peaking over the barrel ie. lifting my head off the stock. Breath relax have fun.

Leo Suhre thanked this.
  11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Here's a tip I kinda forgot. This goes to bird hunting but can be applied to trap for all the flat shooters out there. My dad told it like this. Butt Belly Beak Bang. lead follow through and delivery all rolled up. Also got this one from a duck hunter, shoot to nock the knob off his beak

12. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Come on mac, what kind of machine shoots 94 singles and 96 caps from the 22?

The most important tip to break targets is to shoot ahead of it and above it depending on the angle of it. How to get this accomplished each time is of varing methodologies.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Not a machine through my score just my routine, which I think improved my score greatly. This time last year getting into the 20s was good now I stay there, most days. those are my best to date ATA scores. Did you ever sell those Winchesters KID? I think it was you selling, maybe not. I think for the amount I shoot, which is nothing compared to a lot of shooters. I think being repetitive is a key issue. Black marker was mentioned earlier, I marked my own foot positions on the concrete, got some laughs at that.

14. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Holy shit - ACE is back, under a new name!

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Buzz, I was thinking the same thing!! I had that same feeling when he posted the Rockies would sweep everyone under the rug too! 3=ACE? :) Happy

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hipshot 3- Most of your ideas are very good but I have questions about a few.
    You stated in #5 that resting the muzzle on your toe can send sensory impulses that will inhibit motor impulses. This makes no sense to me. In #6 you said hold a high gun. For one-eyed shooters, this can be disastrous, especially in handicap. You recommended not using a full choke in #14. This has been discussed at length on other threads. You suggested using a light trigger pull. For some, this can actually increase flinching and cause premature firring. 21. Don't look at front sight. But, checking the front sight can be helpful in mounting the gun and then shifting your attention to where the bird will come out. In #31 you suggested not eating or smoking before shooting. Eating redirects blood from the brain to the gut. This could reduce mental distractions and help shooting. Nicotine mimics natural nerve transmitters and in at least some, make muscle movement easier.

Several of your suggestions involved not thinking about your score. This is not hard to do after running the first 50. Then after breaking the next 25, you know that you will probably have a good score. With 95 straight, you are well aware that you should break 100 straight. Thinking about your score, and enjoying the fact that you have shot 95 targets well is OK. The trick is to just blot out this line of thinking just before you call for the bird and do not let your good score override thinking about the bird. If I was 98 straight and kept telling myself not to think about that, the score is all I would be able to think about. If you have a good score going, enjoy it and break another target. After my squad finished and we are walking back to check the scores, we usually ask others how they shot. Everyone knows their score.

The big problem with your extensive list is that if I were to think about all of these things, I would not have enough brain ability left to think about breaking a target.

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Pat.......Thank you for those excellent insights! Your points are very good and caused me to rethink some of them.Concerning the resting of the muzzel on the toe.....I have actually experienced this myself......it happened to me so I assumed it could happen to others.Botton line is, if there's a possibility, it might be better NOT to rest the muzzel on the toe.Granted, this is controversial! Concerning holding a high gun.....granted, its "more" beneficial for the two-eyed shooter, but the idea here is to reduce gun movement when its not necessary. I do feel that a full choke is not as good as an Imp Mod ,in terms of whats REALLY required.I will have to stay with what I said about a trigger that the shooter doesn't have to struggle with[LIGHT ONE].I'm sure that for "some" shooters it might cause a degree of flinching, but I think that number is in the minority. I fail to grasp the reality of your comment concerning eating before shooting.And finally, as I said, don't dwell on the score....good scores follow good shooting!When you are shooting well, of course you realize it.....just as long as it goes no farther than that while shooting! Thinking to much about a score can actually CAUSE a "slump" and over-confidence which can cause bad shooting! A shooter can begin to get sloppy in the execution of the basics.

Thanks very much for your comments, I appreciate them very much!

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Buzzgun.......I've been called many things, but I'm not an Ace[except in shooting perhaps....Ha,Ha,Ha}. Possibly an acehole?

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would suggest that you also always keep your eye on the lookout for the next new gun or barrel or load cause we all know that a new gun or new barrel or new load will always make you a better shotter!

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

FlaLagarto.........Thanks for your comments! I will answer what you said by simply saying that if the tips I listed make sense to you, then use them. If they don't, you are free to reject them [but please don't do that until/unless you at least try them].I would never think of forcing anyone to accept them. I have almost 40 years of experience in shooting this game we call trap. Having recently shot 500 straight targets[and many 100 straights], I think that shooting pretty much speaks for itself.Its simply not possible to do that without KNOWING and APPLYING certain things in the course of that shooting! I only offered these tips to help shooters on this site identify those things they can do[ or consider] that might help them in their shooting.....I have no other motive. Yes,I was once a member of the ATA. It offered me nothing I needed ,or couldn't do on my own, so I did not renew.You have to understand that, to me, targets are targets [as long as the rules are followed]..........if someone tacks the title of "registered" on them, that doesn't make them any more difficult or challenging to me. Nor does it really mean anything. A shooter should shoot ALL targets, giving it his/her utmost effort.....call the targets whatever you like! I fully understand that this doesn't set well with shooters ,like yourself, who have made a decision to identfy so closely with the ATA that nothing else can or should be considered. I say this with no intention to belittle the ATA....I think it does the game good by promoting the game and establishing certain game rules.......but I most definitely can shoot and enjoy Trap WITHOUT being a member the ATA. "Registered" is, to me, nothing more than a name.....and a very misleading one at that! Please don't mistake "fear" with "need"......I have no fear of shooting so-called "registered" targets....it just means nothing to me[therefore there's no need]. I couldn't shoot any harder than I already do if the targets were called "registered". That's a personal shooting committment I have made.....which is what I'd like to see all serious trap shooters do.....thus I offered these tips based on my experience!As far as how many targets I have shot in my life?......pick out a line of trees someplace and try to count all the leaves on them........seriously, its been a BUNCH! The target numbers were all only a means to an end....not the end itself.
    Thanks for this opportunity to add my shooting philosophy to the other tips! Have a good one!

Have a good one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.