1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting through a chrony?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sargon, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

How do you actually chrony your shot gun? In other words do you put the muzzel a few inches from the chrony or what. I am about half afraid of trying it in fear do damaging the unit (Pro-Chrony). Is there anything I should know before I try it?

Thanks.

2. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I always put the screens up 3' from the muzzle, then shot thru the middle of the screens. The shot and wad are only slightly larger than your bore at that range. Never had any problems.

3. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Have no fear...

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

Point of order:

If you have a left-hand dropping flinch, be extra careful shooting over your chrony.

A good friend of mine has such a flinch and did shoot 'through' my chrony.

One shot, one kill.

(He replaced the unit with a new one.)

5. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I guess it would be best to shoot off sand bags to avoid flinching and getting the chrony.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Yes, and I like five or six feet better as the distance between the muzzle and the chronograph.

If you are using the Crony brand, make sure it is all the way open.

The above link has a lot of information as well.

Neil

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The manufacturer of my chronograph advised me that deducting about 35fps from a rifle chrono's readings will get you very close to a shotshell's actual velocity. A rifle chrono is made to clock the only "pellet" passing over it and because of that, clocks the leading pellet of a shot charge. For best accuracy with shotshells, the chrono should be made to clock the mass passing above the screens but those rascals are a lot more expensive than a typcial reloader's chronograph.

Ed

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use Neil's advice, 6 feet works well...if you use the skyscreens, make sure you set it up for the large screens...

9. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

My Pro-Chrony only came with one set of "screens".

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have attached a piece of plexiglass in front of the unit to prevent burned powder and residue from messing up the display. It will collect there if you do a lot of chronographing. It won't help a mis-aimed shot. If you must err, do so on the high side. :) I use the diffusers and shoot a little over 1/3 the distance from the unit to the top of the diffusers. My muzzle would be around 4-5 feet from the unit.

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

As I recall, you can use the chronograph without the diffusers without screwing up accuracy.

12. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

6' to 8' is fine. The wad travels all the way through and beyond. Just set it at a comfortable height and put a target up behind if you are nervous.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

On my beta chrony I just shoot over the chrony from 5 feet away- no screens

I try about a foot high but dont be afraid to err on the high side- if you are too high it wont work

If its too low you might have another issue

so go high

Gene

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I, too, have found not using the sunshades works just fine. The range I most often use for rifle testing faces west, so the best time to shoot from a target visibility perspective is morning. But the sun is behind me then and the shadows from the shades are nowhere near the photocells, so I don't bother with them and as I said, it seems to work well.

A little humor: About a year ago, I bought a "better" chronograph than the one I use and it would not register a shot - the display just constantly read "FIRE." A call to the manufacturer's support line resulted in me being told that the shades HAD to cast a shadow over the photocells for the unit to work and to rotate the unit so that they did. When I told the person on the other end that doing so would require the unit to be positioned on its side and facing across the range, I was told to do that. I elected to return that chronograph and go back to my old one.

Ed

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I found 6 to 7 feet, muzzle to first screen, would guarantee good readings on my gear. Closer would often cause an error. Usually used the diffusers and preferred having the set up in shade but bright sky.....Bob Dodd

16. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Thanks to all.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I had assumed that we were talking about a "Pro-Chrono". Every one of these that I have used required that the diffusers be used to obtain reliable readings with shotshells. My "Chrony" branded units are usually not as particular, but the diffusers do help on ocassion, so I just put them on in the first place and prevent the need to take unecessary shots. That might be the reason I use the Chrony F1 the most. It's also in the car when I need to use one. My Pro-Chrono is very sensitive to lighting conditions, so I just use that one for a backup for the less expensive Chrony.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Have both, PC and Chrony, on overcast days or in the shadow of a building they work fine with out screens.

HM

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have one of the inexpensive Chrony F1's and have learned that too close gives inconsistent readings. Minimum for me is 4 feet, any closer and results are very skewed. Jackie B.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I found that I get more consistent readings on bright days with the screens. Yes, on dull days it should work fine without. What I meant by the larger screens is the chrony i have came with two rods that fit into each other. male-female. These fasten into the crony. You can leave one of the rods out to have a smaller arc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot pistol through chrony