1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting steel shot thru a fixed full

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a Remington 870 made in 1975 with a fixed full choke, I would Like to duck hunt with it alittle this year with a box of bb size steel shot. I probably would not shoot more than a box thru it and was wondering if that would hurt it? Thanks

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would get another barrel and save that Full choke barrel for lead shot or use Bismuth shot which is expensive but does work well for ducks and geese.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think you will hurt your 870 Barrel but you probably won't like the way it shoots the steel BB shot.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Incidentally large size steel pellets like BB will be more likely to bulge the barrel than smaller size steel shot like #3 which works fine for ducks provided it is high velocity like 1500 ft/sec.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Every gun and choke tube manufactor in the last ten years I have seen states not to use steel shot in a full choke barrel. The tightest recommended is modified. Jackie B.

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

You will not hurt the barrel. With prolonged use you will open the constriction to less than full. Pattern test it with your load of choice. You might be surprised at the pattern. I had an 1100 full choke barrel that darn near shot a single file load of steel BB's.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

After shooting about ten cases of steel T's I finally bulged my full choke 870 barrel to the point that it was noticable. The experts all sell the same line of BS about steel shot. I have found a full choke works best until you get to size BB and bigger. I think that everybody was so paranoid about bulging barrels they peddled up all this junk about using a more open choke. It does work but not for the reasons they mention as to why you should use a more open choke.

There are two reasons why the advice they give isn't bad advice. First .. Most ducks are shot under 30 yards. At 30 yards the best choke you could use is an I.C or skeet and that goes for Steel and lead. The problem is that many of us shoot farther then 30 yards and the logic for using a more open choke doesn't fly for us. many of us use decoys to get the birds over us but due to strong compatition we shoot them at 50 yards or more. So... Over the decoys often means wayyyyyyyy over the decoys. Just becaus you are shooting over decoys doesn't mean you get to shoot steel #3's and an I.C choke.
    In my 10ga magnum I use a Briley I.M to shoot Steel TT's and steel T's. If I listened to the experts I would have 30 t's at 55 yards, because I use my head and pattern my gun I get 55 T's with my I.M choke.
    Small steel shoots like a rifle through a full choke and patterns very tight. If you are a good gun pointer you can use this to your advantege and shoot steel #1's and 2's and just spank ducks at 40 to 50 yards in warm weather( With steel 1's even when it's cold!). Steel #3's are usful only when shooting 30 yards or less and you depend on breaking wings. Steel #3's will not body kill a duck at 40 yards. At 40 yards steel 3's are horrible cripplers and steel 4's are the worst of all and sadly are used more often then steel 3's. A steel 4 will not stick in a pattern board made of wood at 40 yards.
    What are you out if you buldge your barrel? Not much really unless you are really attached to your full choke pheasant gun. Best choice of all is to have the choke reamed to modofied or IM and you will have a better all around gun.
    Gas at 4.00$ and hotels at 100 what is a barrel at 150.00 in the scheme of things? I will only arm my self in such a way as to be able to body kill my ducks at the farthest range I shoot. This means big pellets and big bores. I shoot no steel smaller then number 1's and do not allow those who hunt with us to do otherwise.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.