1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Station 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Aug 11, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Recently, I've noticed I hit targets that are right angles on station 5 lower than I would like. Is there any reason to cause this? I am a right-handed shooter and use 2 eyes.

2. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

By right angles, I take it you mean hard rights. If you are hitting them, what is the problem? Your brain is working in conjunction with your eyes and body to put the gun in the proper place to hit the bird, and it may take a tad longer to do for some reason. So long as you are hitting the bird consistently, don't worry about it. A lot of shooters CAN'T hit hard rights consistently, no matter how long it takes.

3. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

My problem is I hit the bottom half, and when a mount is off I miss

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Hey Neil, what do you think?

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

You may be arm-swinging the gun rather than swinging with upper body rotation. It can cause you to lower your right shoulder and lower the barrel as you do it.

Ask someone to watch you shoot on station 5. Ask him or her to watch for arm-swinging and for dropping your right shoulder. Also, lowering your raised trigger-hand elbow during swings can also pull your shoulder down and cause shooting low.

The angle formed by the gun and a line across the shoulders should not change during swings in either direction. It is much less likely change if you swing by rotating your body at the waist and hips with the rotation powered by the legs.

Arm-swinging can also be caused by setting up with your stance rotated counterclockwise too much on station 5. When you do this you can bind up and have no choice but to arm-swing the gun during the final portion of the swing.

Rollin

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lower your hold point, that way you will be moving up to the bird. HMB

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Hmb has the right answer.Su

8. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Rollin - I'll have someone watch me.
    Hmb - How low..? I currently hold on the top of the trap house.

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Then I'd say that your hold point is plenty low already. I'd tend to agree with Rollin. Lowering the right elbow and not rotating at the waist will many times cause the bbl. to drop during the swing. As mentioned above, have someone with a little knowledge of shooting stand behind you and check your swing.

Steve

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you are right handed, turn your feet more to the right to help smooth out your swing. Excess weight on the front foot will make you swing lower as well.

11. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

If it turns out I am dropping my elbow, then how can I correct it? Are there any exercises I can do?

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Move the gun to the right so you are about 1 foot to the right of the front edge of the house. Then lower the barrel so you can clearly see the target when it exits the house. HMB

13. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

If you're dropping your elbow, kick it up some and try turning a little more to the right on station 5. Feet about parallel with the line of station 5 running from the 16 to the 27 and make sure you're turning at the waist and not pushing your arms. Good luck.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I used to have problems with station five. Now I seldom miss on station 5. I hold low and about 6" inside of the left corner. This way I'm not moving the gun at a streaking target as it leaves the house. Also, I went to the European hold on my left hand. My left index finger is on the forearm parallel to barrel & my thumb is touching the barrel--gotta wear shooting gloves. My toughest station is 3.

Phil Berkowitz

15. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Thanks for the information everyone!
    Just to let ya'll know, my feet are about parallel on stations 4 and 5. I'll have someone watch my shoulder. One last question, if it does dip and I end up having to hold my elbow a little higher, I presume that I will do this on every station. How would it effect other stations in relation to where I hit the bird?

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Oneshooter, it shouldn't affect other stations at all. Just be consistent in your mount for each station. Just elevate the elbow so it's comfortable for you. I don't think you need to over exaggerate, but some do because it works for them. With the advent of older age and a bad shoulder I don't elevate my elbow near as much as I used to. I don't believe though that it has had a negative affect on my shooting. Just give it a try for a while and see what happens.

Good luck and good shooting,

Steve Elliott

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

What helps me is point both feet to the right (both feet parallel to the flight of the hard right) where you can have enough swing to break the hard right in the middle of your swing; also, make certain not to push the gun out & away from your cheek. The hard left will feel tight as you will have no room in your swing to shoot to the left of it. This works well for me. I swing a little of an upward motion on the hard right. This takes care of the vertical issue. If the hard right is somewhat a low screamer, then I eliminate the upward motion. If you're able to get a trap alone to yourself shoot a couple of boxes solely on Station 5. Might be more effective than locking the trap in the hard right position and shooting the same number of shells on Station 5 since you would know that you're only receiving hard rights. BT100dc

18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You may not be holding onto the gun tightly enough which allows the arms to take over, taking your body and ankles out of the equation in the process. Mounting and pulling the gun into your shoulder firmly, very firmly along with a good firm grasp on the grip will take your arms out and put your lower body, waist, ankles back into the game allowing you to stay on target. Kiner says, make the gun one with you.

Like others have said, lower your hold so you're coming up and into the target.

Try it, it may or may not work for you, were all different.

Surfer

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Phil, just a question. You actually hold 6in. inside the left corner of the house from station 5? Man, you move that gun a long ways for a hard right from station 5.

Steve

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is that much movement on a hard right. I'm almost holding at a straight away on station 5, this way I don't have to make any left moves and I do the reverse on station one. My days of jumping after streaks are over.

Phil Berkowitz

Search tags for this page

five station shooting

shooting station 5 in trap

trap hard right station 5

trap shooting station 5

trap station 5 problems

trap station number 5