1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Sports... raising your kids

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    Had an inteesting conversation yesterday with a lady member who left her kids with a sitter, she was reticent to bring the kids to the range while she came out to work her volunteer hours... I was sharing with her the valuable social experiences the range has given my grandkids... I encouraged her that next time, she bring the kids out and let them hang out and see what "Mommy" does at the Club...

More often, in the summer, my grandkids work the range with me behind the counter... working the cash register, highlighting guests' names on the signup sheets, calling squads, thanking folks for their business - the socialization and interaction with adults has been tremendous in their personal growth.

In the beginning, 3-4 years ago, the kids would come and explore, maybe read or "color" by the fireplace. If I got an hour out of them it was a big deal... and a Grandma would take them home... now they want to stay all evening (4 hours).

The guys and gals occasionally remark about the kids when they yell out the squads, but the respect the kids demonstrated for adults, is telling - the club environment should be encouraged to our non-shooting children in the rearing of our grandkids development process. I'm not a fan of children calling adults by their first names... so it's a comfort to hear them call a man or woman - Mister or Miss "so and so"...

You'll notice I haven't talked about the kids shooting yet... Zach just broke his first couple targets last year, but it was stretch and he's still a bit too small for his youth 20... Sarah has a year or two yet, before I get her on the line...

Let folks say what they will, but shooting sports are an excellent medium for building character in our youngest, without any shooting... if we're really going to "walk the walk" we've got to encourage the bringing of our kids to the clubs with Mom/Dad and Grandma/Grandpa for family time... obviously there will be the curmudgeons who will object to the pitter-patter of running sneakers or the occasional shreek... their time for permanent quiet will come soon enough!

Best regards all,

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have said time and again, the number one target for gun club membership and participation should be females. Moms or Moms to be are the one's who will determine if their offspring boy or girl will be shooters or gun owners. They are the one's who spread a positive or negative opinion regarding guns and shooting to other females. Female recruitment must be number one if shooting sports are to flourish in the coming generations. If you macho guy's think otherwise, you're kidding yourselves because If Mama ain't happy no one's happy, I'm sure you've learned this by now...........

I started my son on a pop gun that was a BB gun look alike at age 5-1/2 teaching him gun safety, gun mount etc. I moved him to a BB gun at age six and on to a 12 gauge somewhere in his seventh year. This put him squarely in an adult world teaching him ivaluable life lessions that are with him today thiry years later.

3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

May 13, 2008
    My kids were at the club before they were born! When my wife was pregnant, she still came to the club, and the kids were exposed to the sound of guns in utero. When my son was about 2 1/2, I put the concealment grips on a S&W kit gun, and let him pull the trigger (single action) while I supported his hands. He started shooting 22 rifle on his own at about 6, 9 mm at 8, and got his own 22 rifle at 8. He got a 12 guage at 10, and bought his own 243 at 12. My daughter went much the same, but is a confirmed rifle and pistol shooter. She doesn't like shotgun games, and doesn't hunt. Both kids were VERY aware of the safety rules about firearms, and being around the club all their lives, and the various firearms in the house, understood what firearms are for; they are tools built to perform very specific actions, with far reaching consequences if misused.

My point to this somewhat longwinded introduction is that exposing youngsters to firearms and shooting sports, and the people involved, is an excellant way to instill a mature outlook at an early age. Being aware that your target is maybe in front of something you don't wish to shoot makes a person look at life differently than a nonshooter. Being made responsible for your actions, be they shooting, hanging out with other kids, or anything else, hopefully makes a kid have a moment of thought before jumping into something.I know both my kids had a more mature attitude towards life, and other people, than many of their friends, which I attribute to their early and ongoing exposure to firearms and shooting.

As a bumper sticker put out by the BC wildlife Federation says : Kids who hunt, trap, and shoot don't mug little old ladies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.