1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Small Birds without wasting LEAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Shooting these little guys with my Sony Mavica "gun". 27 shots to get this photo....but used NO LEAD!! :>)
    [​IMG]

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

In the old days when you used to have to use film, for 27 shots, it might have been cheaper to use lead. Not that I advocate shooting humming birds. :) Mark

3. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

A dart gun would have worked.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Better refill the feeder.

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Barry: I have 2 feeders....both were filled this morning. These guys have a very high metabolism so their appetite is insatiable. Will be making a trip to buy more nectar for them tomorrow as colored sugar-water is not good for them. Rick .... Texas

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

We have the exact same thing happening at our house.

There seems to be one bird who thinks he is the stud duck and tries to keep the others from feeding. One fill still only lasts about 1 week.

They are busy little creatures, and the cats love watching them.

Randy

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought an extra feeder so the ruling Hummer could not control both feeders but he tried My ex-wife took a picture of me hanging the new feeder and the hummers were feeding out of it before I could get it hung by the picture window about 8 feet from the other feeder, but he still tried to run the other Hummers off, he finally got tired of trying to run the Hummers off both feeders.

He was a really Beautiful Hummer Ruby Throated Hummer.

One got in the house and I caught him with my dip net and carefully extricated him and took him outside a released him.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I love those little critters....They are not very friendly to each other however and will buzz one another off the feeder...I make my own nectar..Boil the water a few minutes to sterilize and then mix 4 parts water to 1 part sugar...Stir it till it clears up and it's good to go..I store any excess in the fridge.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

We have a half dozen flitting around our feeders! One even went toe to toe with our poodle - must have been attracted to the red collar.

It absolutely amazes me how the little buzz bombs can make a 2000 mile trip south for the winter while having to stop and refuel every 20 minutes or so!

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a red wild bird seed feeder next to a outside table and they will buzz it with me sitting there. Love to watch them.

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

My Dad told me that back in the depression him and his brothers would shoot sparrows with a slingshot using a straight pin stuck thru a small ball of tin foil. Clean them just to have meat on the table. Now those are hard times!

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Little buggers get into my shop and stay in the rafters, won't go down to the door, till they die. FINALLY, I outsmarted them. When one gets in there, I hang a spare feeder on the bottom of the open garage door, they will go to it to feed, then realize they are sort of outside, and leave. I hate to find dead ones, they are neat little birds.

13. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

When our feeder gets low or empty the Hummingbirds will meet us at the back door and buzz around our heads.