1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Slump - WOES....revisited

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

#1 I'm no Harlen Campbell by any stretch of the word. My shooting slump costs me nothing in the full scheme of things other than just trying to shoot my way out of it. This is my regular shooting season fall, winter,dead winter thru late spring. In the dead of summer I shoot once a week, and shot very well this summer. Now that I'm trying to turn it up a few notches I'm in a terrible whirl wind. My mind is mush and don't know what my total number of issues is.

I'm pretty sure that it's mostly not keeping my head into the gun. Pretty sure this head movement it what's killing me. The targets I'm missing are flat out losses and I have no idea why. Wish I could get a chip just to make figuring it out easier. My dead birds are smoked targets. Good hard hits. Low light conditions are probably second, have be forced to shoot at pre-dusk and dusk.

This week I'm gonna go back to some basics. Try to calm down a bit. Try to catch a bit better lighting or shoot at dark under the lights. Target acquisition is probably another issue. These condition are most likely throwing me off some. Try to build some confidence back up up.

Sorry for crying, just in a bit of a head funk. I'm sure I'll shoot my way out if it. Good Shooting, Spank.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You might try some really light loads to help keep you in the gun.........

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Spanky,

You sound pretty mixed-up, man! LOL, been there. If you don't want to ask a good coach for some help then at least return to the basics. Certainly keeping your face on the stock is one of them. When I start screwing up, the culprit almost always turns out to be one of the following three things. They also happen to be in listed chronological order when you shoot:

1. "DEAD STILL"... Gun barrel DEAD STILL before calling for the bird. Absolutely DEAD STILL.

2. "LEADING EDGE"... Focus hard on the LEADING EDGE of the bird. Your pattern is 30" in diameter so, in truth, which PART of the bird you're focusing in doesn't matter DIRECTLY. But it does matter indirectly. Here are the two reasons why: 1) Because if you are focusing hard enough to identify the leading edge of the bird, then you are certainly focused on the bird. And that's the real goal; 2) Identifying the leading edge of the bird helps your brain identify direction of travel and estimate the target speed. This lets you establish lead without even thinking about it.

3. "STAY DOWN"... Make it a point to maintain cheek pressure until you see the break. If I ever I catch myself raising my head and peeking, I force myself to mentally count "thousand one" after seeing each break before I release cheek pressure or lower my gun.

In my opinion, and definitely in my own case, 95% of all problems go back to these three fundamentals.

...UNLESS you've been fooling around with your gun fit lately, or you have a cross-firing problem, or your wife has placed a curse on you for spending so much time/money on trapshooting. LOL.

Good Luck.

-Gary

4. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I agree with the "Go back to basics" comment. This was my first season and I was doing pretty well. Then, about 4 weeks ago things started going downhill. Everyone had advice for me and after struggling I decide to stop listening and just go back to basics. I found I was working on too many things at one time and cutting down to the basics has got me back to hitting targets again. For now I'm only taking advice from one good shooter friend and it really seems to help. One of his biggest tips: Don't think too much!

York

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If everything looks good and you miss the target, you are probably cross firing. Try shooting with one eye and see if the problem goes away. HMB

6. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Clean your gun, dont prepare it to shoot, take a break, stop trying to force it.
    Go back to the beginning, the absolute beginning, no match, start over. Lee

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

When I start missing I always go back to basics!!! Also ask yourself what did the target look like the exact second you pulled the trigger??? If you don't remember maybe you were looking elsewhere??? Good Luck in your finding your problem? Maybe shooting some skeet or sporting for a couple of weekends will help you out as well. Sometimes you just get a bit burned out in one game and need a break, to relax and shoot just for the fun of it, without the "pressure" of wanting high scores. This will help you just shoot and stop thinking, stop thinking, stop thinking. break em all Jeff

8. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

You're making the best decision you can make: take a step or two back and take a loong, hard look at your basics.

If you shot well before and it's going downhill, unless you've changed your equipment before the slump started DON"T CHANGE ANY OF IT TRYING TO GET OUT OF YOUR SLUMP.

Mike K

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Take a break. Hunt. Shoot sporting. Make maple syrup. Sit in a drum circle at your local "Occupy XXX". Or anything else to get you away from trap.

Come back after the first of the year and concentrate on basics. Problems will have gone away. Trust me.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

1.) Hug the gun. 2.)Rivet your eyes to the target!!! 3.) See it break.

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

This time of year we just quit shooting at dusk, even with the lights turned on. When the sky gets dark, then the birds can be seen again. Mark

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

You might be experiencing a string of bad luck with targets escaping through the holes in your pattern. When fired, shotgun shells eject pellets in a more or less random pattern so say the experts. Look up the several scholarly threads written describing this phenomenon here on TS.com. The experts have convinced me that "holes in the pattern" are a real and accepted part of trapshooting...worse, you cannot do anything about it...even porting, backboring, choking, extended forcing cones don't help...those pesky pellets fly wherever they want, leaving holes where targets escape unscathed. You may miss an occasional target (I have) but "holes in the pattern" are real. So, bite the bullet...er, pellet...and just wait out your slump. Best Regards, Ed

13. Beni

Beni Member

I think dusk is tough shooting,try shooting earlier or full under the lights. That kind of tricky light you cant control,you may be doing things right but just not seeing the target completly. good luck and dont beat your self up remember try to have some fun beni

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Standard time starts this weekend. It's getting darker earlier. Mark

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I want to thank all that responded in this thread and by PMs. I tried to take in as much advise as possible. I started trying to pick up my trap scores today. Only shot some practice today but shot a 93/100. I'll take it. Next Sunday my plan is to work on it a bit harder. It might be only toward a target or two but the regressing that took place is a mental bummer. I'm no Harlen Campbell by any long shot, I have to work hard to stay in close to the mid 90's. I'll fall apart before I shoot 100 straight, that's a fact. I just have to get to 94 or 95 again and get that mental relief.

My form was never any good, yeah...it sucks, never was really tought how to shoot trap. But I'm gonna try to keep basic foot position in the back of my head for awhile. I really think aquiring the leading edge of the target and smooth gun follow thru is/has been my problem. Lack of the follow thru for that matter. Head lifting doesn't seem to be the issue.

I took a bit of a break and hunted a bit more. Something I use to do alot more of. Had a pretty good time with some doves, squirrels and ducks. Shot some sporting clays and 5-stand to boot. This was definatly the mental relief that was needed.

Completely disassembled and cleaned my trap guns. Rebuilt the MEC press I reload my trap shells on. Mostly just a clean and reassembly. A few springs and a bar insert was about all I really replaced. Checked my reloads. Thru away a sh!^ pot a hulls that were on their way out. Trashed some Sh!^^y looking boxes, ratty lookig crap when I have plenty of new ones, took the time to clean out my shooting bag. Just trying to get a clean re-start.

Sorry for bending ears or making ears bleed but, your suggestion are greatly appreciated. I'm gonna try to stick with some basics and be conscious of loss birds. Thanks for the help.

16. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Now!!!....Hug the gun...focus hard on the edge..."Pull!"

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

That's a will do. Thanks Martin.

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Spanky.... I agree with the "go back to basics" theory. When I'm slumping, I remember two basic things 1)Keep your cheek on the comb with the right center eye down the rib (Thank you Nora Ross and 2)Stop thinking! (thank you flabigpappa

good luck and dig in!

blade819

19. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Start with your stance and gun mount. Try to be consistent. Use 2 eyes when you shoot. Why do you think you have them. Review your positioning as to the trap house and where your focus points are. Practice eye control, your eyes move easier than lifting your head off the stock. Squeeze your trigger, don't jerk it.
    Practice follow through. Try to remember what works and what doesn't. Shoot often,
    practice makes perfect. Calm down and breathe normally. Relax. Enjoy yourself.

Harry Lyga

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Make love to that gun hold her gently but firmly, feel her move, watch her kiss the targets. Sh!t your talking shooting trap, try it anyway. Just like women

GB
    DLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.