1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting skeet with a somewhat lower gun (Churchill method)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jan 10, 2017.

1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

I bought a dvd that I thought was for skeet shooting. It was by Don Currie and was made for sporting clay shooting. I bought the dvd because they talked about shooting with instinct and feeling with out watching the muzzle or the beads. I have a hell of a time most times not watching and measuring and trying to judge the right amount of space etc. I am a very analytical person a lab geek in the field of Pathology to be exact. That is why I probably overthink things instead of active aggressiveness which is why I ride and track the birds. Which leads to misses on a good many at times. Don't get me wrong I do get a 24 or 23 at times but I know I can do better.

My question is this. Has anyone ever used a somewhat low gun with a 1/4 draw shooting skeet? It would look like a good way to keep your eye focus more on the target and not the barrel or sights. I was just amazed the way Mr. Currie shot the targets using this method. I thought maybe if I could usr this method for a while and learn to watch the target and focus more on it that it could help me. Then I could after awhile ease back to a more full mount on the gun. I would not use this Churchill style mount on all stations just the ones where I tend to ride , track and over think my self.

Any help or comments would be helpful.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'd suggest the Bender method.

bossbasl thanked this.
  3. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

I have tried the Bender video

4. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

What is a 1/4 draw?

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

in the video he has the but not quite to his shoulder. The when he seen the target where he wanted to break it he mounted it all the way and shot. That is what Currie in the video called it a 1/4 draw. Not quite a full gun mount.

6. la angler

la angler Member

What's the name of the dvd ? Maybe worth looking into.

7. Prostockta

Prostockta Active Member

D62 I do it anytime I find myself taking my eyes off target(measuring or going back to gun) gets me right back on track, It works great on high one on a real windy day on a quick dropping target.

8. Pullthattarget

Pullthattarget Active Member

I know a lot of shooters that like to shoot low gun, but you have to do it the right way (mounting the gun correctly without "whipping" the barrels).

The other counter argument to shooting low gun is, to my knowledge, none of the top American skeet shooters use this method. I like Todd Bender's method because it leaves less room for error and requires less practice.

9. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

Don Curries focus , movment and faith.....I seen parts of it on utube.

10. Cope700

Cope700 Member

I'm not framilar with the 1/4 draw tech but I do shoot skeet low gun and it seems to work for me. I'm more of a pull up and shoot kind of wing shooter and I do think I see the target better than a pre mounted shooter but most at my local skeet field seem to struggle with low gun much more than pre mounted

11. Pullthattarget

Pullthattarget Active Member

Another thing you may want to try is adjusting your hold/look point. You shouldn't have a lot of time to overthink a bird, but then again maybe I'm just an air head

12. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just shoot from the hip.

13. trapster12

trapster12 Active Member

I shoot with the gun down and do better because I see the targets better and I also get the gun moving better tan when I do it pre-mounted. I tell myself to make a perfect gun mount just before calling for the target. It works for me.

Bill Hom thanked this.
  14. jktphd

jktphd Active Member

I have seen people do this as you described in your original post. They say it helps. I would probably try some different look points. That could solve the problem and give you a better chance of maintaning consistency in your gun mount. There is reason the top shooters shoot all stations with a pre mounted gun.

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Low gun seems to help a lot if you are a one eyed shooter. Bill

16. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

You're on the right track with Bender for skeet and Currie for sporting clays. Would add for sporting McGuire, Matarese, Miles, and Carlisle. If you are going to shoot registered NSSA or NSCA, you probably need to pre-mount (Bender) for skeet and use a short draw for sporting so that you get a better look at the target. In skeet, you know about the target, and sporting where you only might get 3 pair at a station, you need to see the target well. Not much time to figure them out and you don't want to hear, "lost pair."

17. lockjaw1

lockjaw1 TS Member

I sure hope BIGDON doesn't see this.......

18. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I shoulder my gun. Leave the but stock in my shoulder pocket. I lower the muzzle end. My head is upright. I call for the bird and shoot the bird all in one motion. I shoot instinct basically when the stock touches my cheek. My gun mount is right because I pre mounted the gun and didn't take it out of my shoulder. You can see and concentrate better on the bird and are less likely to bead check.

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

That would be cheating for Kim Rhode.

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Skeeters, really ??