1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Singles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

What choke tube do you use for 16 yards? I'm using improved modified and thinking about going to modified or more open.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FULL or X-FULL because it gives better feedback and trains the brain to shoot accurately.

Other than that, the fact is it really doesn't matter for 16 yard trap. A typical modified choke only increases pattern size about 1.5" at 34-36 yards vs. a nice tight FULL choke. So unless you frequently miss by less than 3/4", which you don't, then the change is of little benefit.

-Gary

3. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

LM in a Guerini.

4. Salt

Salt Member

I practice with a x full but shoot registered with a mod. I agree with Gary about training the brain to shoot more accurate.

Larry

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

.032 in a MX-15..

6. dtrap

dtrap Member

Chokes, shells etc. Doesn't mean a thing...it is a mind game.

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Practice with a Briley XF in bottom barrel of a Browning XT. Shoot competition with a Briley IMOD. Jack

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

dtrap, I disagree. The wrong choke, shells, or gun fit will destroy your game.

That being said, there is wide latitude in the first two, little in the latter.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If your not hitting targets the way you think you should, The first order is to mic the the choke and find out exactly what your shooting now. There are more than a few mis-marked chokes. I don't know of one top shooter who will tell anyone to go more open with a chokes unless you're shooting 0.50 on the 16

The other thing is to pattern you gun to see what patterns are really coming out of the barrel now and compare it with a more open choke and then make a choice. There is a point of no return when you start opening your pattern and targets slip through because not enough pellets are striking to break the target.

If you're very quick shot you may get away with a very open choke, if your slow going to the target, then an open choke will work against you.

I think if you ask Leo, Kiner, Harlan, Kay they will all tell you full choke and work and your basics.

Surfer

10. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

11. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

If you got an O/U, compare 2 chokes by putting both in the gun. Start shooting some practice rounds - 5 shots with the bottom barrel, 5 with the top. Run thru a few boxes ... and see how they perform. The quality of your breaks should let you know which choke is right for you. What I look for - (using #8) if a full choke totally vaporizes a target majority of the time ... I feel it is too much choke. If a modified choke (sake of argument) gives me chunky breaks with the occasional strong break ... then I feel that pattern is too open. Somewhere in between the 2 works for me. From my experience, buying 1 choke and running with it .... is a crapshoot. You might get a good one 1st try. For me, it took trying out many chokes to find the magic one ... that seems to work best .. and gives you confidence. Every choke is NOT exactly like every other choke.

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Didn't Frank Little say that you can use any choke you want to as long as it is full? John

13. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Actually, I believe that was Leo.

I use an IM for singles and 20 yd handicap. I am going to take another look at the Mueller U3 chokes that I have for singles.

Charlie

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think it is best to use the same choke and shell for practice as you shoot for competition. This removes all thinking about chokes and shells while competing..you don't need another distraction while competing...SMOKIT

15. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

In my Guerini, I like the mod choke for 1 1/8th loads at 16 yards, any lighter load I use the IM. I use to shoot only full and super full in my ljutic.

16. butcher

butcher Member

blusky, what you say seems logical. I think I will try it.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I finally did some real patterning this summer to find out just what is happening after I pull the trigger. In my gun, a Bt-99 AR, I seem to get my most evenly distributed pattern with a midas grade IM. i had been shooting a Midas grade full. I compared these with several other brands and even flush mount chokes. But even this is only going to give you a two dimensional view of your pattern. i had one acquaintance say that full was better because it gives you more length on your shot string and would be more forgiving on the leads. Don't know about this and decided to go with what I could see. The full chokes that I tried had a dense center and not much around the outer perimeter. Bill

18. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Briley IM in a Beretta 682 (top barrel). Targets literally disappear when I do my job. I don't see any need to go tighter.

19. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

you should any choke that is a full :)

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wilkinson seems to believe .024 is the perfect Singles choke. My breaks refuse to prove otherwise!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.