1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting registered with a "low gun"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by A Sparks, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

Shooting registered with a

By low gun I mean just below the top of the breast pocket, not hanging at your waist pointing at the ground.

Shooter is ready and calls pull in the same rhythm as the rest of the squad.

Cardinal sin or no big deal if someone next to you does?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Fairly common in Sporting Clays, sometimes seen in Skeet but I have NEVER seen a decent Trap shooter (A class or higher) shoot with a low gun mount EVER. Trap is a game of consistancy and a low gun form is more likely to promote an inconsistant mount.

Tron

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

If someone wants to shoot this way, the only problem rests with the shooter. I would not want to buy such a shooter in a Calcutta.

Pat Ireland

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

when I first started shooting trap, I had a real hard time pre mounting the gun. As I continued playing this game, I now have a high comb long drop at heal set up on my XT. trying to low mount this gun can be a pain. You tend to whack your cheek. Now with my field 870. I feel I can shoot that just as good low mount and pre mount. I would go for pre mount now.

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Pat, again you made me smile. Most of them on here will not get it.

AJ100

6. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

The reason I asked is because I was told from an etiquette stand point it was bad form as doing so was "disruptive" to the squad.

Didn't make sense to me as long as their shooting rhythm matched the squad. I know I will break targets sooner then some I've shot with that are shooting gun up.

Perhaps they lose their concentration just knowing someone is shooting low gun?

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No big deal.......

8. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

For those who think the game has become to easy or scores to high this would be the easiest way to toughen things up. Just require a low mount and watch the scores plummet. Adding additional yardage would no longer be needed.

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I know a couple of top sporting and International Skeet shooters that do It all the time. There scores arnt perfect they'll shoot anywhere from 94 to 100 for scores. Not as consistant as a premount but there practicing for their sport.

Joe goldberg

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

My opinion at a ATA it would be just a stunt to get attention or make up for somethin ya might be a lacking

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My question is...........Why? There is a disadvantage to doing it that way, and with trapshooting, I don't need any disadvantages.

Hauxfan!

12. oz

oz Active Member

gotta whine about something don't ya. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting trap low gun

shotting low gun

trap shooting cardinal sin