1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting rain coat with hood?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by butcher, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

What rain shooting coats do you like? And do any come with hoods?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I just use a light microfiber 3/4-length jacket for shooting in the rain as I've found shooting raincoats to be far too heavy, especially for use in warm weather. I don't need the jacket to be warm when I can layer under it. And a hood is absolutely out for me. It billows in the wind, gets in my way and never stays where I want it to. In fact, I cut the hood off the jacket I now use in the rain.

Morgan

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Charger, I love my Froggs Toggs rain gear. I also have the 3/4 lenth to just below the knees rainjacket type, as opposed to the waist high jacket and pants. The material stops rain, is very lightweight,and breathable fabric, so you will not mind using it in the hot weather at all. You will love it. You can find them on-line too. Yes, it does come with a hood and I can and have used it when I need to. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
    PS. Paper thin as well.

4. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Forget the hood and just put on your safari hat with neck cover... LOL

Your Brother

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The mention of 3/4 length jackets remind me of my Army days Ponchos that did a heck of a job draining water into my boots.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bill, Got any more info.- price, where from, etc.?

7. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Check out the columbia rain jackets. They make them in all weights, usually with breathable material. What I like most about the one I bought, was that the hood had various elastic cords and velcro tabs, the net effect was that you could loosen or tighten in enough places to make the hood fit snug on top or your baseball type hat, then curve behind your ear or fit snug at the ear.

Last year at the GLG we had the pleasure of staying on the line during a severe downpour. The guys wearing traditional shooting coats like John Storm coats got soaked. Water came in through the neck, and through the shoulder you mounted on. One guy had a columbia rain jacket with hood, and he was the only dry guy on the line. Lesson learned, I went out to Gander Mountain the next weekend and got a columbia rain jacket in a nice, loose fitting size and lightweight breathable fabric.

Now that I am prepared, I expect the driest GLG in history next month!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.