1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOOTING QUESTION//GAMES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

What is the lead on a falling Bird from the 27?? The Bird is 10 to 15 ft off the ground at 50 yds from the trap house and you are on the 27. Total 70 to 77 yds. Gun shoots 1 in. high at 13 yds and the shell is 1300 fps #6's??
    Thanks COFFEE

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Coffee,

This is a hard one to call because of all the varibles. Since the gun you describe shoots "dead on" and the load will start loosing energy by this time. Try holding about 1.5' to 2' below the target on a straight away and remember that on angles you'll need to allow for a equal amount of lead. Keep the gun moving as spot shooting those distances is very tough.

You are shooting plenty of shell for those distances. A IM (.025) or tighter choke will do just fine.

ec90t

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shoot where it's going...not where it's been!

Curt

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the bird is 10 above the ground at 50 yards from the trap (77 yards from the shooter) and the initial shot velocity was 1300 ft/sec, the lead would be 14.4 feet below the target.

Pat Ireland

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'm not an expert by any means but how can a legal target be 10 feet off the ground at a spot that is the maximum feet the target is to travel to begin with? I thought the targets thrown at 41 mph at 9 to 10 feet high so many feet in front of the trap were to go 150 feet only. Anyway getting back to your question and since I do have a couple field guns that shoot "flat" or dead on, I would try your hold under the bird by "one bird" with the shell you described. Then if that doesn't work sign up for the next "Annie" and try it another spot:) Good luck with your longshots, it takes a lot of skill and more than a little luck to break birds consistantly from that distance. You can ask the game players at your club if anyone has a perfect spot to hold for a bird that far out and I believe you will come up with a lot of differing answers. One way to see what your gun will do at that distance is to set up a piece of target paper at that distance and pull the trigger on it. Just my observation. Dan

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dan....most clubs crank up the spring and elevation for "Fun & Games"...nice high and long birds! Also most experienced shooters have their "Special" loads for these games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.