1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting problems - release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hello,

I am looking for opinions/experiences from those who have successfully shot release triggers for a time frame and then developed problems, such as releasing early (sometimes before calling for bird or while calling for bird). Also looking for feedback regarding learning to shoot doubles with a double release and when to set the trigger for the second target. I sometimes shoot the second shot in doubles (unintentionally) right after the first shot.

I am currently struggling intermittently with both problems above.

Thanks for constructive feedback!

Rob

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have trouble with the gun firing too soon when the release trigger is too fast. I had to have a gunsmith tune the trigger so I could use it. It took me a long time to adapt to a Double Release. I now set the trigger for the 2nd shot immediately after I let er go for the 1st bird and before I move the gun. I visualize this action in my mind and it becomes automatic after a while but I don't dare think about it.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I get the itch to shoot a release, I do not like a fast one. On Dubs, I also reset the trigger as my eye goes to the second bird. By the time I am locked on the second bird and start to take the gun to it, the trigger is already set.

Shoot it enough to where you can use your mental focus to lock your eyes on the target, NOT focusing on the trigger.

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

Setting the trigger firmly with a tight grip helps me prevent an early release. I also set before closing the action.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Rob: I started using a release trigger approximately 3 years ago. It helped me get rid of the dreaded flinch. I had no problems adjusting to the single release. However, when I opted to utilize a double release; it was a different story. If it weren't for me being so "bull headed", I would have given up. After many rounds, I finally have become comfortable with it. I would say it took me 2000 rounds to become comfortable. I have talked to many shooters, who have not had this problem; but I sure did. Now, it is just like someone who shoots a pump action gun; (they don't think about pumping a Model 12 or their 870 for a second shot); you really are not aware of setting the trigger for the second shot. The release trigger made shooting fun again. If it weren't for this, I would have quit shooting. Good Luck. Ed

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Rob,
    Back in November I had my CG changed from pull-pull to release-pull.
    I did it mainly to make up for slowing reflexes. I'll be 68 in a week
    and a half.
    So on doubles I absolutely love it. First bird fast then eyes over to the second
    gun moves and pull. Second bird still climbing, just as it should be. I've run
    many 10 bird positions with this setup. Before I was a 6 to 9 bird shooter
    per station. Oh, I've shot about 2000 to 2400 birds with the release-pull.
    But the flip side of the coin for me is singles and cap. My singles (ATA)
    average has gone down 14 birds. My cap average has gone down 4 to 5 birds.
    I'm just releasing to fast. I've practiced at home slowing down and it helps.
    If I go to the range for practice my singles are still down by about 6 birds.
    Caps are down 3 to 4 birds in practice. Just can't seem to get around the
    "early release" problem. Measured the release and it sets at 74 to 76 oz. Right
    where it should be according to the big dogs. Increased my grip pressure.
    Just doesn't work for me. Tomorrow the CG Maxum reciever goes to Maryland for
    a change back to pull-pull. Oh, I've also shot the top barrel in the CG for
    singles and cap and did great. I've also pulled out my BT99 Golden Clays and
    for not shooting for 2 1/2 years also did great.
    For me, the best of all worlds would be a P-gun with two triggers. A pull
    for singles and cap with Un-Single; and a release-pull for doubles.
    Maybe my brain is just getting to old to reprogram, not sure.
    I really have misgivings about losing the release, but can't really afford
    adding a Top Single barrel. Besides I do really well with the Un-Single.

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA ATA Life Vet

7. rsikole

rsikole Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Today I shot 200 singles and I let the release go early one time (before I called for the target). When this happens, it seems to happen right before I call for the target or right when I call for the target.

I have shot the release trigger fine (singles and handicap) for nearly two years, but this problem that I have recently developed is frustrating. The best way to describe it is that now I need to concentrate on setting the trigger and not letting the release go early, or BOOM, I get a surprise. Until recently, it seemed natural and I never gave it a second thought.

That being the case, I am not sure trying to shoot a double release is the way to go. If I have to concentrate on setting and holding it to prevent an early release, that is probably asking for trouble when trying to learn to shoot doubles.

I'll continue to work with it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Rob

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have the trouble with doubles that I can release the trigger for the first target, but I cannot (SET) Pull the trigger back to set the second release..

It's just like when I first started to flinch, and the trigger is like it was welded shut...

I can do the drill on the Terry Jordan wall chart without problem, but get me on the range and I just cannot pull that trigger back to set it for the second target...Someone suggested I go to release - pull...I just cannot pull that trigger for the second shot, whether to set a release, or pull to shoot...

Gave up on doubles long ago...But no problem with singles or caps...Thank goodness !

Dave in SC

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

It's taken me several years of trial and error to become a functioning double release shooter. So far it's starting to work and my scores seem to be settling in the mid-80's with some moments of brilliance.

Premature release is usually caused by too fast a release, too little let-off or not a heavy enough set. Then again, some shooters cannot ever master a release-my son is one of them-and flinches regularly with one.

For those individuals who are having difficulty setting the 2nd trigger in Doubles I suggest you put a death grip on the forend. That gives the entire gun more stability and it helped me plenty. That advice came from wife-Tammy!!

10. pullll

pullll Member

You might want to use some snap caps and make a few test. How much pressure to hold the release in place, swing the gun left/right/up/down in the same pattern as if a target is in flight. Are you releasing on the call, or the first sight of the target, or maybe when raising the gun. Think if each accident release, was at the same position of body, head, gun? Snap caps are great, no noise, no target to concentrate on, just you and the gun/trigger.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dawg--I'm still fliching once in a blue moon with my release. Maybe once or twice per 100. Then sometimes none at all. Shot 200 Thursady and no flinch. Shot 200 yesterday and did it twice. I'm confused as to why it happens. I feel like its a timing flich and when something in my procedure changes, it happens. At what point would you recommend me having Phil adjust my release a little heavier? Its almost a guaranteed lost target when it happens as i'm not on the lead when it fires. Can you(or Tammy) give me any advice or things to try? I'm open for suggestions.

12. oleolliedawg

Flinching with a release is usually the result of a somewhat slow trigger. If it occurs once in a blue moon-primarily on left angles for right handed shooters it might be best to ignore it. It's usually not devastating!!

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ok thanks Dawg. Boy you nailed the problem target presentation. That left angle quartering seems to be the most common flinch target for me. I am a righty. What makes that particular angled target do it? I wouldn't call my flinch a serious issue right now but it does affect my scores. I'm no All American but nobody likes to drop targets do to a glitch in your system.

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'll agree, in my experience flinching w/ a release definately happens more with a slower trigger. I'll also add that twice per 100 targets is NOT "once in a blue moon" to me and is enough to really affect interest in the game.

15. oleolliedawg

Problems arise when some shooters advise their release trigger guru they need a much faster release. Now they tend to be afraid of it and it usually goes off too fast for right angle targets. Add a fast release and hot sweaty hands and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I sometimes believe those left angle flinches are more a visual disconnect issue along with a possible slow release. I'll sacrifice those very occasional losses against a fear of letting go much too soon with a too fast release!!

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with oleolliedawg 100% a too fast release trigger can be terrifying. One time I got really scared of my trigger and was ready to quit shooting. I later discoved that the hammer in the TMX trigger was cracked and was causing the pre-mature release. It is a good idea to recheck the Set and Release poundages and also Daro Handy says you need a little bit of travel on the let/off otherwise it is very difficult to get a feel for when the gun will fire.

17. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hello,

For any of you suffering from chickenfinger (bock, bock bock bock bock bock) where you are panicking thinking about holding that release trigger so tightly to avoid letting it go early (usually over the trap house), try the fix that has worked for me.

Set the release and then close your gun. After that, mount the gun and call for the target and shoot it. Some guns won't allow this, but I believe most Beretta and Kreighoff guns will.

I have now shot over 1000 registered targets and a couple hundred practice targets without incindent after changing to this method. Previously, I was letting between 1 and 4 shots go early per hundred target event. This fix allowed me to stop worrying about the finger and let me focus more on shooting.

Thanks to Terry Jordan for this very useful piece of advice.

By the way...more than a couple All-Americans use this technique.

Rob

18. MOP

MOP Active Member

That's what I said in my June 12 post above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is it hard to shoot a pull trigger after shooting a release

my trap thrower doesnt release when trigger is pulled

trap shooting release trigger