1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting pigs with .223

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by handlepuller, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I realize its not the optimum cartridge but will it get the job done?

2. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

I guess I use a different strategy when I hunt, more horsepower more humane kill! I use something that will get the job done. Cory

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It will work but it definitely is not the best choice. If you have all the time in the world for your shots it will work. But for a moving target it definitely wouldn't be my choice. I prefer a 270. I like to hunt out of a tree climber for them. Jackie B.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you shoot solids they will work just fine but as has been stated. Not anybodys first choice. Jeff

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If everything is perfect they will work fine. How often do you see PERFECT when hunting?

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Yes shot many pigs in south texas with a 223. Just hit them right behind the ear. Most hunting in texas done over a corn feeder out of a box blind.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Head shots only...the 223 isn't a stopper on these critters unless you're after piglets, which are pretty tastey

8. Landshark

Landshark Member

I shoot 77 grain pills out of my .223 AR on pigs. Put one in the ear and it's lights out.

The fun part is shooting them at night with a scope mounted kill light. I use Big Pig Lights and Elusive Wildlife Technologies kill lights. Cheap and powerfull.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I do have a night gun for use over a corn box and it's a 22 hornet with a gen II night scope. Shots are normally less than 75 yards and ear shots are the name of the game. Instead of running off, I've had them to start eating the hog I shot when they smelled the blood. It can be fun. LOL Jackie B.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Here is a video of hunting pig's from the air. Look at the gun he is using. Its also a good video to watch. You can also watch other videos of other hunts from the air on YouTube.

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Im not telling anyone to do this but hunting smaller pigs, about 100# or less from a dirt bike using a hand gun. Its a step up from hunting horse back.
    It takes away the easiness of using a rifle.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The body of a pig is pretty tough. As others have said, head shots. Give the .223 bullet a chance to do its job.

If your gun can stabilize them, Nosler makes some 60 grain Particians (factory loaded by Federal - see link) whose construction is tougher and they penetrate deeper before expanding. Their intended purpose is for light big game, like some of the smaller deer. They'll work better for penetration than varmint bullets, which are designed to rapidly expand upon contact. This works great for small varmints and coyotes, but for larger critters, especially those with very solid bodies, they leave ugly shallow surface wounds, craters really, that often result in a cruel, lingering death. Use the right bullet.

13. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Done it before and would again. If I'm hunting coyotes with my .223 and see a boar or sal within 100yds maybe a lil further out I would take the shot no questions ask.

14. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

When I was young we used to shoot some huge hogs with 22lr right at ear. Sometimes we missed and learned how to climb trees real fast. Usually had someone in group with a shotgun slug. Those things looked like alligators on wheels when they come after you. jim w.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've shot many hogs with a .223 placed right it will drop them in their tracks

As far as being humane to them I have none left for them after the damage they have done to our place

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't you guys know that the AR-15 .223 is a "High Powered Rifle". Must be true, I saw it on TV

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, be careful. The .223 can, like, take out tanks and stuff.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

NO NO NO get it right. Its a 22 LR that will blow up a tank and a half track at once. Have you now got it straight? GOOD. Tha came straight from the Hollywood info desk.

19. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a .223 on pigs up here around Amarillo. Shot placement is the key, though. But if you get into alot of them, handling the bolt can be slow. That's why I like a semi-auto. Shooting them can be like shooting at a tank though. They are tough son of a guns.

20. Kerz

Kerz Member

"Here is a video of hunting pig's from the air. Look at the gun he is using. Its also a good video to watch..."
    Way too cool!
    Headed to S. Texas 1-Feb to hog hunt. I've decided on gun/caliber yet
    Vic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ppc shooting pig videos

shooting pigs

shooting pigs with 223

shooting pigs with a ar 15 223
shooting pigs with a bolt gun
shooting pigs with ar 15