1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting phenomenon, has be baffled!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am asking for opinions on why this shooting phenomenon happens? I don't know if this happens to other shooters, but over the years I scratch my head when this happens in disbelief.

Every time I set up a new shotgun to shoot trap, I do the following. I will make sure that the gun has the correct amount of cast and correct lop. I will pattern the gun to make sure the barrel is shooting straight, I will make sure I have the correct stock height for poi.

When I shoot the gun I will hit targets with absolute authority, and think I have this gun set up perfectly and I no longer have to make any adjustments. Come the next shoot, I have to take a double look at the gun because it is no longer pulversing targets like it did the week before, it's now chipping targets, or flat out missing targets.

How can this be? Have any of you ever set up a gun that it's breaking targets fantastic, then the next time you shoot, you wonder if you picked up someone else gun by mistake as the gun you are shooting shoots completely different than the week before? I understand timing can change, but not to this extent. Any ideas what the problem might be?
    Steve Balistreri

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

New Gun syndrome and it happens to most of us. When you first shoot your "new to you" gun you are far more focused and concentrating harder than you ever will be with that gun again. Your brain is making tiny corrections to your hold that you would normally be making to the gun to get it spot on. Then the next time you pick it up you are more relaxed and in "normal" shoot mode so the little adjustments your brain was keyed up for are not happening IT is in normal point and shoot mode. Try shooting practice with the gun on 3 or 4 different occasions after the first set up and then go back and fine tune for dust.

--- Chip King ---

3. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Steve,

This whole thing-(Trapshooting)-is nothing but a head game.You gotta FOCUS on your game 110%.Do as I say,not as I do . LOL.

Sandy Holehouse.

4. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Ummm...might not be the gun?

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...ain't the gun; it's the gunner!

MK

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Had that exact thing happen to me. When I got the new love of my life (Infinity 221), I ran something like the first 141 targets....could not miss. Then of course the head game started. Now I have settled in understanding it is me, not the wood/iron in my hand. It of course helps to have it fit and point well. Had a couple of 99's in registered with it, missing early then bearing down and paying attention. I really have to find time to shoot more registered...it was a blast, no pun intended.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe the targets spent the night in the trap house?

Or, maybe it was a target selection situation. I don't try to time a trap, so it's possible (though unlikely) for me to get an entire round of "hard targets". Just about all of us have a certain target presentation that gives us fits. Maybe your bad rounds presented you with a dozen (or more) of these? I see shooter's spouses scoring their husband's rounds, maybe they can shed some light on this.

8. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

It's never the arrow; only the Indian......

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

never the arrow, only the Indian - how true. 99% of the misses are because the wood was not on the wood

10. senior smoke

When I was younger, I considered myself to be a good athlete. Trapshooting was a different story. At best, I have always been average to below average. I love this sport, but with that being said, I find trapshooting to be the most frustrating of all the sports I have ever participated in.

Over the years, I have lost shoot offs to women, children, a one armed man that placed the forend of his gun on the stump of his arm to shoot, a one legged man that balanced himself on a crutch. About the only person I have not lost a shoot off to is a man in an iron lung, and before I end my shooting career I am positive that will probably happen someday too.

Vic Reinders ALWAYS told me that he felt shooting was 90% from the neck up. He always felt that he could teach anyone with average coordination how to shoot well, until he met me. I believe, some people regardless of physical coordination, eyesight, just plain and simple have trouble in certain sports.
    Steve

11. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I would try to get my old gun back from the guy I traded it to.

Just Kidding Steve.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I found I have to compensate for the half dozen double cheeseburgers, three Subway Foot Longs, two Pizzas, Bag of Chips, and other major essential food group items I consume in the week between the shoots. There is a way to purchase offsets by sending a salad over to some poor kid in Africa, but that doesn't seem to work as well as it once did.

Do some practice and recheck the poi and patterns before the next shoot. It seems like I revert to an older guns "compensation" if I have a gun set up right and then shoot a week later. Most new guns take me some time to get used to. I start with two or three days of practice, then a recheck of POI, and then another few days of practice. I can make any minor corrections needed and get it dialed in during that time. It usually takes me a few months before I'm really comfortable with the new gun. No matter what I do, the "feel" of the new gun is different, so stick with it and you'll eventually do well with it once YOU adjust to it. I spent a number of years with poorly fitted guns, so I tend to revert back to what I had to do to shoot well with them after a break in shooting.

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

what is a Infinity 221?

14. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

New gun will always shoot great the first couple times out. Once you make any adjustments or changes to the gun you are starting over again and it takes time for your body and brain to familiarize with it. Set it forget it and shoot it at least 2,000 rounds at your handicap until the scores are where you want them don't shoot the new gun in competition.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The problem is with the nut that pulls the trigger.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If it goes BANG, it is not the gun!!!!!!!! It maybe has to do with retirement. Hope you are enjoying it.

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Steve & I must acquire our smokepoles from the same place (I have several) & they all treat me just as Steve described. The only one that I'm even reasonably consistent with is my 31TC so I just leave the others in their iron box (cell) most of the time. I do let them out once in a while just to play. (chuckle) Ross Puls

18. senior smoke

kolar69:
    Well said. Vic use to say that his 31 never missed a target, he did.
    Steve

Russ-in-Pa:
    Now that is funny!
    Steve

Bazooka Joe:
    Maybe I should prepare to shoot the way Babe Ruth prepared to play baseball, by eating a dozen hot dogs before the game.
    Steve

Ross:
    We need to purchase our guns from a different place then.
    Steve

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's a data processor glitch, see windows 2. :)

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.