1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting performance decline

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ihartm, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihartm

ihartm TS Member

Shot in the 20's during cold months with winter jacket. Now with just a shirt I am in the low teens.
    any suggestions on what I should do.
    Thank you
    I.Hartman

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Find a good coach. If you are shooting in the low teens, you have some fundamental issues to review.

3. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Lengthen your gun to be the same as it is with your winter coat. Then find a good coach.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Brooks is right! Gun fit may help but some how you probably picked up some habits shooting in the cold which are now effecting your.

5. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would just shoot more
    When the sun is out and it is warm you will start to shoot in the 20s again
    Put 500-1000 rounds through the gun before you get down on yourself.....

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Move some place where it's cold all the time so you can wear your winter jacket.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

All year I shoot with golf gloves and during the winter I won't wear a shooting coat although I live in NE Ohio. I'll wear a shooting vest over a thin shirt and sweat shirt. The Bob Allen shooting vest has no padding in it as it has been removed. When the warmer weather gets here then only the sweat shirt goes. There's no other adjustments to be made so my sight picture & length of pull stays relatively the same. Darrell

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

finding a good coach is tough. A Nora clinic would help. Harlan wants to make you into a pro. Kiner would be good. Nora for one-eyed shooter. Frank Hoppe will get you better in one day. Sign up fo rone of those. I see few "true coaches". many are just opini0onated. Get one that can see the shot pattern when yo miss. And shoot a full choke so you can tell where yo are on the target. Other than that, get a new gun and blast away like jsa3107 says. If you put 6-700 targets thru your gun in a two week periond of time you will be back to whre you were.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Easy solution to this problem, I may not have been shooting for a decade yet, but the common denominator seems to be NEW GUN. Whenever any of the competitors or recreational shooters I know see their scores drop off, it is new gun time.............maybe at least one for the summer and one for the winter in your case............Coach?????? that might solve the problem without allowing you to get a new gun.....Violation of the first premise.

D

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There are a lot of good coachs available that are working with the SCTP program. Find a local one of those that you can work with over a period of weeks. I watch the kids at the shoots and they have very solid fundamentals.

11. Lyle

Lyle Member

The key to being coached by someone is knowing who to listen to and who not to.

I was teaching a young lady to shoot and I told her that she would be getting plenty of free information from the locals. I told her to alway be polite, but to look at me while she was getting this free advice and I would give her a nod if she should listen or not. Plenty of times I shook my head no and I also gave her a few nods.
    Funny thing was one time Phil Kiner himself stopped to give her some advice and she wouldn't listen to him until I gave her the nod. ha.ha....I loved it.

Lyle

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

MIA makes some good points as well but: there is a difference between a coach and an instructor. Instructors teach you how to shoot and give clinics. Coaches are more available and help you shoot better or up to your potential. Now I'm not saying that an Instructor can't Coach, but there is a distinct different between the Student Instructor relationship and that of a Coach and athlete.

Good is a relative term. What's good for one may not be good for all.
    Coaching and instructing may be two entirely different creatures. Some students shot better automatically when they have someone watching; some worse. I have quite a few that would win if they could have their coach with them on the line.

Just one last point Some of the best shooters make the worst coaches. One of the best shooters I know and I'm talking about someone who wins at all shotgun sports (skeet,trap,sporting,pigeons) Is a horrible coach. This individual is capable of posting perfect scores in Trap, Skeet, and International skeet. He can tell you everything your doing wrong and why but he will tell you ten things at once. This is of no help to the student and only confuses them.
    Instructors in clinics have to give you everything at one time and hope a few of them help! A proper Coach giving lessons will work on one or two problems until they are corrected.

Back to the origional problem Shoot at least 500 targets in the warmer weather and if your still having problems then it's time to seak some help.

Joe

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Keep your head down and follow through.

Nick

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You need some good coaching.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a summer recoil pad which is thicker than the pad you used in the winter, or an adjustable length of pull butt plate. HMB

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Coach is great.. but.. in the mean time.. Go to a empty field.. set the target up for straight aways..and start on station 3.. Get your sight picture back.. You've lost it as a reference.. Then move to station 2.. and then 4.. Last 1 and 5.. If you fire 50 to 100 shells at each station.. that should rebuild your sight picture as well as give you time to set the gun up correctly for the added winter weight you've added.. That will take care of style.. and fit.. If again you try.. and things are not ALOT better..You'll need a good coach to correct your swing at a target you don't know which direction it is moving.. Often mount and hand placement needs to be changed.. when you know what the target is.. you tend to keep your head down.. For the unknown.. often we pick our head up to get a better look..NOT..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.