1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shooting pain help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cloud_of_8s, Jun 8, 2013.

1. cloud_of_8s

cloud_of_8s Member

I am experiencing pain when shooting 16's. A brief synopsis is that the arthritis in my neck is causing pain to shoot up the back of my head and over the top. Not something I can manage. I can no longer shoot my 1-1/8 18g CLAYS loads (1200 fps).
    I can shoot a 7/8 oz load, and a soft 1 oz load, but the 1oz does not have the speed, and the 7/8 does not have the volume.
    I am looking for ways to reduce the recoil/pain, and still kinda keep a fast load.
    I am open to suggestions on how to get back to shooting a competitive load.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. all 8's, all the time

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This sounds like a thread for my buddy Hap MecTweaks. He suffers the same issue.

Where are you Hap?

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Been there, done that. Shoot an auto and I haven't found a softer shooting one than the 1100. 7/8's has all the pellets you need. A slow one ounce has all the speed you need. Just make a choice and go shoot. I'm shooting an 1100 with an Auto Buster/ Jack West stock. It lets me shoot more in a day than I could in two weeks with an over under. If you've got a lemon, might as well make some lemonade!
    Dave

4. cloud_of_8s

cloud_of_8s Member

I shoot a CG Magnus Sporting Ltd
    2005 Production year

5. cloud_of_8s

cloud_of_8s Member

I used to go to a bone-crusher, and he did help alot, but this April I seemed to have aggravated it to no end. Chiropractor, Nuero-surgeon and Orthopedic can offer no relief. Since April, I have seen a chiro, and he just seems to aggravate it more. Just can't seem to shake it. I'm sure its nerve related.

6. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The problem is usually having to extend the head/neck too far down on the stock. Then recoil extends it further, causing the pain you describe.

Try shooting a raised comb so you can look straight out over the house, raise the gun to your face, and not need to extend it downward to meet the gun.

To do this, you may need to use a gun where you can adjust the POI down to compensate for the raised stock, but, perhaps not. It depends where your eyes see and the shot goes.

After doing as described above, I completely ended 15 years of the exact pain you describe.

Try it, you'll like it.

7. cloud_of_8s

cloud_of_8s Member

Thanks for all of the advice.
    This is why I wanted to post it here, to see if there was anything new I could try.
    In the meantime, I will be switching to lighter 1 oz loads.
    Thanks mallard2 for the adjustment advice. I will give it a try.

If I find that any of it helps, I will report back.

Till then.

8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"CG Magnus Sporting Ltd 2005 Production year"

Precision Fit Stock! I have one on my CG! Or Soft Touch, G Squared.
    I have bad neck. The devices that reduce recoil on just the should does not work for me, RAD, etc. 10Tenner

9. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

I solved my similar problem by going to a heavy gas auto (8.75 lbs) with a Trap stock shooting fast (1,300 fps) 7/8 oz. loads thru a full choke for everything. They will crush targets from the parking lot if I point the gun right. 8's are fine usually but with a full choke you might as well shoot 7.5's so I do.

An 1100 will work but a Super-X 1 with 4 oz. added to the stock is even better. The SX1 is the only auto I have ever seen that will reliably handle even very light (slow) 7/8 oz. loads such as the Fiocchi 7/8 oz. Trainers out of the box. With a 1,300 fps 7/8 oz. load I NEVER have a failure to cycle.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hap went to a pro-soft stock. Don't know if it's helping his issue.

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I shoot 1oz loads at 1235 pfs. No problem with recoil and crush clays out for the 27 yards. I also use the same loads for sporting and crush the clays at 40 yards target. When I do my part.

12. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

7/8oz loads work great and you can shoot them all day too.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I Have the similar pain first time I went to Emergency room at3:00am as the pain was that bad, Dr. Prescribed Oxycodone 5-500 and Spironolactone a muscle relaxer, in 2 days pain was gone, that was a year ago and now the pain is back and my doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg twice a day, took first pill yesterday and one Last night every 12 hours and the pain is gone this morning, I could not believe it. Plus I have been taking Glucosmine tablets for joint pain, I am 90% better now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

With as much as we already spend on our game getting or having your stock altered to accept one of the better recoil reduction devices makes sense, particularly in your case. I have a G Squared on my XT and a PFS on my BT99. The recoil reduction of either would allow you to shoot your traditional loads and extend the enjoyment of the game for years to come.

The G Squared may be the best option since the comb remains stationary while the stock slides beneath during recoil.

Robert

15. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Gun fit is the answer. Recoil reduction mechanisms will help some, but only if the gun fits as I described.

Hope all works well.

16. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I went to a Dr at 24 when this pain in the neck started. He sent me to another Dr who ordered specific XRay for the area. Lo and behold on a side of the bone was this small growth of a tiny bone group went from the bottom of a thorasic bone across almost to the next bone. Each movement made the group rub against the lower bone. That group of one long bone did not belong there.
    As you would grind a piece of wood to fit something so the doctor removed that entire bone area that grew there. That ended my pain.

17. cloud_of_8s

cloud_of_8s Member

Well, I'm back...
    I ended up having an adjustable comb installed. Then, I ordered a rib from the folks at ADD-A-RIB. Was out shooting the other day, and...no pain. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

[​IMG]