1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting over the target, lower POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Since I moved to the 24 yard line I’d been having a problems hitting the target and not knowing why or I would break the target by a mere chip. Now some will say a break is a break. Not me, when I chip a target I know there is something wrong with my technique, because normally I don’t break target this way.

After a few more practices I came to the conclusion I was shooting over the targets and the chips were maybe a result of the target colliding with the tail end of the shot string. Surely all I need to do is simply lower my gun and shoot more under the target. Well, that is easier said than done. I like and have grown accustom to the way I shoot the target in relation of my gun. So, I took a 1/16” and lowered my comb and went back to the line. I began to center punch the targets once again.

Before I adjusted the gun I would literally obliterate the targets at the 16, but when I go back 8 yards I have to lower the comb? It doesn’t make sense, but it worked.

Although what I did appeared to work, but would this adjustment be considered appropriate or ideal for the problem I described?

Bryan

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In that you changed something unrelated to your problem and which was no change anyway, you have done what any trapshooter would do and what's wrong with that?

Neil

3. Calkidd

"In that you changed something unrelated to your problem and which was no change anyway."

Ok, after scratching my head for a bit I think I know what you are saying. What would be the ideal solution? Should I have learned to lower my gun rather than make a mechanical adjustment? I was under the impression it would be easier to continue my point of aim and lower my POI thus keeping from having to change up my shooting style.

Bryan

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What you did makes sense if you have a gun with a high rib. HMB

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bryan, your comb change of 1/16 inch- if you didn't just move your head a bit to "compensate" which is all too easy to do - moved your pattern two inches down. That's fine, but it is not enough to account for your change in breaks, from "a mere chip" to "center-punching targets."

Add to that the idea that you made the change based on a flawed (however popular) theory of how shot-strings work and what you have, I think, is just that you are shooting a little better, maybe getting a bit more used to the 24. Again, the result you are getting is fine. The only problem I see is that you will now think you need a lower shooting gun for longer yardage based on these results. I think it would be better to just decide you are getting better and the POI is probably OK for 24 at either place and so leave your choices open in case you really do need a POI change as you move back.

All of us have who have been shooting for a long time remember being stalled in our progress by some theory that seemed "proven" but was just a wrong turn as it turned out. These things may be so small as a tiny change in the hold on the house to guns we were determined to "learn to shoot" but never could.

If you really want to see what a vertical POI change can do, move it a lot, say 3/8 inch at the comb and don't change anything else. You may hit more, may hit fewer, or experience no real change at all. Once you do that you will know something you can count on.

Keep in mind your problems at the 24 may not be POI related at all. Are you shooting a full choke? Have you checked the POI of your gun off a bench at 13 yards so you know that it shoots straight right-left and in some reasonable place vertically?

I see, and have read your other posts enough to know, that you are trying hard to get better and "figure things out." Again. that's great, just don't get the idea that what is basically too small a change to make a difference is making the difference you see. Finding "reasons" for chance events has broken every system-player at every gambling game imaginable. Don't be one of them.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

6. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 Member

Bryan, The gun gets "more movement" for shooting 16's. If you "move the gun" at 24 like you do at 16 you will shoot high. Watch a seasoned 27 yarder shoot they move the gun smooth and slower from the fence.In end result they raise the comb. Gun hold height makes a difference too. Jr

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bryan, What you did by lowering your eye, does lowered your POI (If it lowers your eye). That said no matter where you move the comb, if your eye does not tighten up on the figure 8 you have changed nothing. So what I'm saying is close the gap between the figure 8 (mid bead/front bead). You should not have to make just one bead out of the two though (that should be to low). If I lower the comb on my gun I can still adj. my head around to get the same figure 8 look I like. It just makes it harder to get consistancey if I have to adj. your head to much. Sounds like you found the answer already. Good Luck to you and Break-em all. Jeff

8. Calkidd

Neil, thank you for you input. I am going to have to read it again and probably at least a few more to grasp what you are saying.

I realize about the trap I may get in by thinking in a flawed theory. Honestly I raised the comb not too long ago to compensate to shoot handicap the same way I shoot the 16, that was probably the wrong idea too.

But I must have changed something in my technique where lowering the comb has help hitting the targets. Good thing I am taking Double D's clinic in Oct.

Bryan

9. Calkidd

Jeff, thanks for your input too. I had a little real-estate in between the beads before, but when I adjusted the comb I brought the beads closer together, naturally.

Bryan

10. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

You sound like you're pretty good at reading breaks. Proof of the pudding! By lowering the comb you have in fact lowered your mechanical point of impact, if you are cheeking the gun the same way. You have also changed the sight picture to a flatter view so some guys sub-conciously compensate by floating the bird more. The idea behind an adjustable rib is to have the preferred sight picture match up with the actual point of impact. Sort of an optical illusion. Like you said you "have grown accustomed to the . . . target in relation to the gun."

More likely though is what trapboy1957 said; less gun movement = less lead, or a combination of factors.

If you need to verify point of impact, do it from a standing postion. Stay off sandbags unless you're shooting groups. No need to shoot it from a vise either.

If you've moved back to the 24, your gun shoots straight enough. GAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do i lower poi for a shotgun

how to lower poi sbe2

how to lower shot on trap

how to lower the poi on a trap gun

lower shotgun poi

lowering comb what does that do to poi

lowering poi on shotgun

why is poi shooting under on trap gun