1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shooting Over the Hard Angles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trail, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trail

Trail Member

My 16 yd scores are OK but could be a little better. I’m hitting my straightaways very hard, but on my hard angles (stations 1 & 5), I’m occasionally missing over the top. Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks to all,
    Trail
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

Try lowering your hold point on stations 1 and 5. HMB
  3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're over them? How do you know?
  4. Trail

Trail Member

Barry
    I can't be 100% sure, but I feel confident that I'm shooting over them. If I come through the target at all it's a miss. under a bit is fine. Kind of difficult when you're focusing on the target, but I think most of us remember our target picture when we miss...

What happens sometimes, though, I start to get too carefull to be under and then I get behind the target...

Trail
  5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'd get someone with a good eye to watch me shoot, to be sure. Good luck.
  6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I tend to do the same thing and found I was "looping" the barrel over the top of the rock thereby approaching it from above. Frank Hoppe helped me by lowing my hold and approaching the angled target from below.
  7. unplugged

unplugged Member

After watching two "all American" trap shooters this spring, I'm pretty sure
    all HARD right or Left Targets are "SLOW PULLS." Or bad voice release~
  8. racer

racer TS Member

Quit calling them "hard" rights or lefts would be a good start. Shoot a box or two from 1 and 5 with the trap set to full left or right.Quickest way to get the feel for them. Doubt you are shooting over them- Dan
  9. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

I started a thread a few months ago - on basically the same thing. Like you - I think I sometimes shoot over the top. The way I reasoned it was this: on a hard angle I tend to swing the barrel on the same flight path as the bird - which is a "rising" flight path. If you continue that same path on out in front of the bird ... by the time I fire .... my barrel has gotten up too high. Thus - miss over the bird. I have train myself (somehow) to stay a little further below the bird as I am swinging thru. YMMV.
  10. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

In my experience, I've observed the following happening to many shooters:

1. They are shooting a stock that's a little too long for them.

2. Because of this, when they need to swing the gun far to the left or right to chase a sharp-angle target, they often end up "arm shooting", especially near the end of the swing (just when they are getting the gun to the target). The shooter's weight transfers to the rear foot, in an effort to hold up a too-long gun, and the gun-side shoulder "rolls" downward. Result, the muzzle loops upward as Longhorn said in his post above.

Try shortening the stock a little (thinner recoil pad). This may or may not be what's causing your problem, but it's an easy enough experiment. Let us know the result.
  11. Trail

Trail Member

bluskyshooter...that is exactly how I feel. I come through the bird and too often I miss. Please understand...I’m not shooting badly...I’m mostly 22-23 right now. But to make the next step I need to figure this out. Will definitely try lowering the hold. Keep the eyes on the top of the trap house....drop the gun hold a tiny bit.

Tech Writer...I think length is good. I’m 5’9” and shooting a 14” pull (although height is not the right criteria). I’ve shortened my gun in the last 6 mo. and it definitely DID have a positive impact on my shooting.

Trail
  12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Your eyes maybe returning back to your beads.

On another note, during a clinic I took this past weekend I will NEVER suggest where someone missed a target. I watched videos of other shooters in the clinic and you swear after watching the video they shot behind, but during slow motion you can clearly see they were in front of the target by feet.

Bryan
  13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Calkidd, as said, guesses don't count for much when analyzing an errant shot charge which is what most do. Phil's video proves that to be a fact as stated. At times, some people can see the shot charge as it passes by a target also and can make the correct calls. That would usually be another observing from the side or back of said shooter. The shooter, if he has his eyes on the target, can't see his own shot charge. That's why a shooter can't tell exactly where an errant shot might go or what caused it. The camera doesn't make a guess.

Hap
  14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Pat, if I recall the gist of it; a right hand shooter misses left angles high and left. A right angle low and behind. Just the opposite for a left hander. That's the way I recall reading his descriptions?? Someone surely saved that information that has a cross-fire problem?

Hap
  15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Phil says, right hand shooter is cross firing when the target is missed Hi Left and lefty Hi Right. He also says, if the last thing you see is the side of your barrel it's for sure a cross fire.

Good memory Hap.

Surfer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.