1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting over the damn target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

Ok what is the best way to stop shooting over the target. It happened 3 times tonight in the league tonight. I move on the target faily quick, go right over the target and a clean miss. all 22 other targets were crushed IM choke. AA 8.5 2 3/4 dram.

Bob S

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Are you getting a late look at the target and jumping at it?

ss

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

I hold about 1 foot off the front of the house post 2 and 4. About 2 feet on post 3. 1 and 5 just off the corner and im a 2 eyed shooter.

4. moserag

moserag Member

Slow down, make sure you see the target before you move on it. It's a very small move, be deliberate and you'll smoke it. Dave

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Not that I am doubting you but it is not as common to shoot over the target as behind it. Sometimes a flinch might be the cause of that. If there is a wind from behind, that will cause the targets to dive. Then I just hold a lower gun, or starting point. We just shot our league last night on a very low throwing trap. It was very hard for me to aim at the back lip of the trap if not even lower, until I missed two birds. I usually hold two feet above the house.

6. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Phil Kiner and others who film shooters find that they almost always shoot under the target not over. Make sure. Lots of well meaning helpers say "over" when they can really see. It is not likely anyone can tell while they are on the stock.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

you could be lifting your head to get a better look, or the straight away could have surprised you causing a hurry up shot.

Bob

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

About 95% of the time you're shooting under, but it looks like over because you're lifting your head, or what is known as peeking. Very common.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

One eye or two?? If two eyed Hold OUT a little further on the fore-end, approx. level gun, (slightly low) look out in front of the house about 10 yds. when you call, NEVER look back at your gun after your call, hold slightly right of what you consider a straight-away, DON'T pounce on-em. Remember you don't care where or when the target breaks (do you) just that it breaks. Do you want 23 ink spots & two 0s or 25 straight???? Just my experience.

One eyed hold a little lower to get a better "look". Don't try to anticipate. Look hard at the target & nothing else. Ross Puls

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the targets are low, hold lower.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's very easy to fall into the "pull-bang" syndrome in trapshooting. The biggest percentages of time spent shooting trap involves almost perfectly thrown targets as far as height and distances go. Things go awry when mother nature breaths a little harder or light conditions change. Shootin where the target should have been instead of where it is can leave one scratching his head wonderin how that bird flew off with a heart shot out?

How would you approach shooting targets that varied in elevations from 6 to 12 feet high all the time?

Hap

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My most common miss is to run over the top of a target. I have to apply the discipline to wait for the whole target to clear the rib before moving my gun instead of chasing a streak.

13. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Are you shooting a high ribbed gun? You could be pulling the rib through the target and shooting off the barrel. In low light conditions you miss seeing that little rib and see that big barrel instead.

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bob, Dave s has a point, unless you have been using the top single?? Also get your left arm up some from vertical!!! Frank

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

My guess is that you are not visually locked onto the target when you start your move.

16. RAScott

RAScott Member

Using the top single, 2 eyed shooter the barrel is heavy andi have a between the barrel weight under the forend. I will try holding out father on the forend and raising my hold piont. I am not tring to inkball asap, i have been trying to slow down but its hard.

17. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Where do you see the target when it is missed? It may be that you are shooting under the target. Also, if you are seeing the side of the barrel when you miss the target, you are cross firing. I know this from personal experience.

18. shootnair

shootnair Member

You are not getting a clear view of the bird before moving for whatever reason
    hold point etc. Simply see the bird and then shoot it. If I follow this simple rule I crush consistent high scores.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

stock is too high, you are lifting your head or both

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bob:

Hold points are important, as is keeping your head on the stock, but that's probably not your entire problem. When shooters are truly shooting over the target it is often because their upward barrel movement is too sudden and vertical. You can combat this by shifting your weight a little more onto your front foot before calling for the bird and then moving the gun barrel FORWARD and up instead of just pivoting the gun upward. The goal is to have the barrel tip rise on a GRADUAL FORWARD INCLINE toward the bird, NOT going straight up -- straight up and sudden is too difficult to control.

FORWARD & UP -- NOT JUST UP.

Or, as one guy at our club says, "F-U!!"

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting under trap targets

seeing the target in trapshooting

shooting over the top of trap targets

trap shooting shooting under targets