1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting over target?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well took a refresher course from one of the great instructors ( to be unnamed).
    My gun shoots straight & patterns great. At times I am shooting over the targets due to being in a hurry (duh). Well my adj. rib is at 80/20. If I set it it at 70/30 would I tend to not shoot over targets or I guess its in my head.

Phil Berkowitz

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put more powder in your shells. HMB

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

would that not make it shoot even higher??

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

635G, I think if you set your gun to flatter shooting to attempt to cure shooting over straightaways, you will find you are shooting under hard angles.

I give myself this same advice all the time, and still forget it when I'm on the line. You have to shoot way lower on straights (bead/bird relationship) than you do on angles. On angles your swing builds lead in a more horizontal direction, so there is little chance of shooting over. No so on straights. Your swing builds vertical lead, and it does it quickly. So you either have to learn to slow down on straights, something I find impossible to do, or learn to pull the trigger faster. You're moving so fast the gun will be were it needs to be when it goes off.

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Cubancigar no, if at 80/20 80% of pattern is above poi. At 70/30 just 70% is above poi. Phil listen to Don, he's right.

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil,

I see a lot of shooters shooting over the target because they move the gun prior to the target passing the end of the barrel or hold point. I am guilty of this myself and I know now when it happens.

If you move the gun when you first see the target come out of the house you will be trying to plan a very difficult target interception with your barrel actually having to SLOW DOWN in order to hit the target ... trust me, this does not work. If, however, you allow the target to pass the motionless barrel then accelerate to the bird you will find it much easier to break the target. My handicap/singles gun shoots 22 inches high so it's real easy to go over the top! The key is to not move the gun until the bird is above the barrel. You will have plenty of time to break the bird. Give it a try and let me know how you are doing.

Bob Schultz

7. racer

racer TS Member

Learn to pull the trigger faster? HMB's way would be easier- Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting over clay target

shooting over the top of trap targets