1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting on the 18 yd line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by royboy, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royboy

royboy Member

By the rules of the ATA, who is eligible to shoot on the 18 ys line in a handicap event???

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here ya go, everything you always wanted to know.....

Just click and ye shall receive..

Curt

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Someone that should take up another sport, like bowling.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The 18 is for people who can't see the logic in making something more difficult than it needs to be by trying to do it from further away.

Some shooters look at long yardage as a reward; I've always looked at it as a punishment.

MK

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I was shooting so bad last year I was offered a reduction to the 18. I turned it down because WHO would you squad with? It's hard enoush for short yardages to find a squad at a shoot and finding a squad that had room for 18 is nearly impossible, unless you prefer to shoot by yourself.

Bob w

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

which is precisely why we should start all new shooters at the 18.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Phil,

I'm on the otherside of that fence. The ATA should abolish all handicap yardage shorter than the 22yrd line. It needs to be noticeably different from shooting singles.

ss

8. Don S

Don S Member

A prediction. Somebody from Kentucky will be shooting on Saturday afternoon,8/14 from the 18 yd line at Sparta.

9. Unknown1

<I>"After a shoot this past Saturday, i am opting for the 14yd line..."</I>

I think that will make matters a lot worse. Club I once shot at held shootoffs by having the participants stand directly behind the trap house. Talk about targets that are hard to find...

MK

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I'm on the otherside of that fence. The ATA should abolish all handicap yardage shorter than the 22yrd line."

As one who has never shot the 20yd line let me say you never do the shooters any favors by putting them where they can't win it takes them to long to figure the game out to ever know if they are making the right moves to the target or not.

Bob Lawless

11. Unknown1

<I>"I'm on the otherside of that fence. The ATA should abolish all handicap yardage shorter than the 22yrd line. It needs to be noticeably different from shooting singles."</I>

That's why I consider it a punishment to be moved back. You get thrown in with the yardage snobs who look down on everybody in front of them.

MK

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

shot410ga,

You have obviously never tried bowling to make a statement such as that ... I happen to do both, so I always have places to go and people to see ... The Nationals (bowlings version of the Grand American) for the USBC (bowlings version of the ATA) are going on currently in Reno, Nevada ... There will be more than 15,000 teams of 5 each (yes, 75,000 plus entrys) going for the Gold, its runs more than 150 days straight, day and night so they can get all of the team events in ... Its kind of like the Grand American of bowling except its crowded all the time ... Like Trap shooting, people show up to beat up on the big dogs and it don't happen at the Nationals either, but its more fun to watch ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with Bob on this one...my only exception would be to start everyone on the 25 yd. line. Shoot good and win, move back, shoot bad enough move down. But no further down than the 22 yd. line.

Curt

14. shot410ga

WPT, I take my sugestion back. Maybe someone on the eighteen should try Basket Weaving, as they will never make it shooting trap. No competition in Weaving is there?

15. Unknown1

<I>"Maybe someone on the eighteen should try Basket Weaving, as they will never make it shooting trap."</I>

I'm just curious about how you know someone has "made it" shooting trap. Do they become a gloating yardage snob? Do they make childish comments belittling other peoples' abilities on public forums?

Would we find your real name on the short list of the big dogs of trap shooting or is it with most everyone else's name on the list of also-rans?

MK

16. ivanhoe

shot410ga

"I take my sugestion back. Maybe someone on the eighteen should try Basket Weaving, as they will never make it shooting trap. No competition in Weaving is there?"

So let me understand your last post correctly. You made this last comment to thump your chest and tell everyone just how superior you are because you don't shoot 18Yds!!!! Or you are just being yourself which is it.

The shooters that must(and I say that he must if he take the reduction)shoot 18yds is paying for his targets and minding his business. They are not criticizing you or the bowler(who you seem to be trying to make and Alie of) so what difference does it make to you?????

In your expert AAA/27/AAA opinion and experience you treat them with disdain because they are struggling with the handicap game. I guess that make you feel like a credit to the sport, a really big man when you make comments like this. IMO you are a truly small person and trapshooting would be better off with out you. That is of course if you really are a trap shooter. We can already see you are a legend in your own mind. Also disgusting in your treatment of those that at present are left gifted than yourself.

cocked wad I am not exactly sure of this but since all new shooters to the ATA are assigned to the 20yd line I believe you must be reduced to the 18 through normal reviews.

Bob Lawless

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are many fine, dedicated shooters shooting from less than the 20 yard line. I am happy that they have joined me in a sport that I love. The term "yardage snob" is foreign to me. I shoot from the 27 yard line and I can clearly see reasons for sympathy but not snobbery.

Pat Ireland

18. ivanhoe

Pat Ireland

"I shoot from the 27 yard line and I can clearly see reasons for sympathy but not snobbery."

Well Pat I may be misinterpreting your statement but most of the very short yardage shooters I know don't need or want sympathy. They seem to enjoy themselves and I never hear them complaining. I can't say the same for their more advanced counter parts.

As far as snobs is concerned you need to be a little farther back than 27 in your mind to qualify as a snob. Not in your resume Pat of course we can't by the examples we have seen hear say the same for every one.

Bob Lawless

19. shot410ga

Bob, Jusy being myself. I've considered Basket Weaving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.