1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting on short squads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

After having shot on a squad consisting of another shooter & myself. Looking for hints on how to pace yourself when this situation arises again. Would it be unfair to the other person shooting with me if I took an additional 15-20 seconds before mounting & calling for a target ?

Phil Berkowitz

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Phil---I would say that since there is only you and another shooter you should discuss before shooting what pace they prefer and see if you can come to an agreement.----Matt

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If I were shooting with you, I would appreciate it.

It your short squad is following a larger squad, it will probably have to wait for the larger squad to finish their sub event. However, If the other shooter is a fast shooter, I would shoot at my normal pace.

For squads of 3 shooters and up, I shoot at my normal pace.

After reading Matt's post, I would also discuss timing with the other shooter. Quite often, in small clubs, we shoot with people we know.

Ed Ward

4. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

I would just talk with the other shooter and explain that I was going to pace myself accordingly. Rushing your game just "to keep it moving" so to speak on a short squad is self-defeating, since it will eventually lead to lost targets. If this is at a small club shoot it shouldn't be a problem because like mentioned above...we probably know each other. If it's at a large shoot I still think the other person will appreciate the chance to just shoot their own game at their own pace. In other words, you paid your money just like everyone else...shoot your own game.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

phil- 15 to 20 seconds between shots??? if i was shooting with you, i would ask you if you were bore sighting a rifle? seriously, you would probably not only screw up yourself, but the other shooter too. handle it like you were in a shootoff with another shooter, not 15 to 20 seconds. perfsonally, i hate shooting on short squads, unless it's a shoot off.
    steve balistreri

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Each should set their own pace, but be courteous about it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No it wouldn't be unfair to the other shooter, altho' 20 seconds seems to me unnessesarily long? Take whatever additional time you're comfortable with so you're not feeling rushed. BTW quite often you're shooting on a two man squad in a shoot-off.....

John C. Saubak

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to discuss it with the other shooter. Take the time you need whether it is a shoot-off or not.

That being said, 20 seconds is a looooooong time. I think you may be overestimating the time you actually take. From the ready position, it takes me 3-4 seconds to mount, focus and call for the bird. If the other shooter is super fast and shoots before I even get the spent hull stashed, I continue loading, closing and moving to the ready position. Then I try to spend a second or two there before I mount and call. All told, that amounts to maybe 7-8 seconds after the other shooter's shot.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Doc Long shooter is correct. I find that shooting with one of my regulars that takes a bit of extra time can be disconcertign till I figure out how to use it to rest. Then it is an advantage. But here is my scenario and yhou can judge for yourself...

I am a release shooter that has to set the gun in "open". So, I stand at ready, with gun opne and down and await my eyes to stop twiitching (obtain "quiet-eye) and for the floaters to slide to the side and then I set-close-mount-and call for the target. Usually, I cna do those things while the other fellow along side of me is shooting and I keep myself in sync with the squad. But on a short squad, I am often longer than the others. I get to shoot with a regular sqaud for practice at the Minneapolis Gun Club adn I am always causing our fave dentist to look around and see if I died. Soem of you should try the "quiet-eye" concept. Relly helps you see the target emerge from the house. Adn too, takes th jitters away as you are closing in on strates.

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I agree with ZZT, You are probably overestimating the time you will need.I have shot on short squads and I discuss this with the other shooters before we shoot.

When I am the squad leader I always tell everyone on the squad to do what makes them comfortable,No one needs to rush to the next post!Let everyone get set then set yourself up and call for target!

I know some shooters that take an eternity to get going and You shouldn't let this bother you but if it does make sure that at the next shoot you stay off that squad!

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The one time I remember dealing with this was in a handicap event and at my local club. The three of us were friends and I was leader. As we walked up, I stopped the others and said that we should all concentrate on not hurrying or rushing shots just because of the 3 person squad and to ensure that we took appropriate time I suggested we not even close the gun(s) until the person ahead had called and fired. We all agreed and the other two said later they were glad I had made the suggestion since the pace or flow of the 100 bird event was as comfortable as they had ever experienced - no wasted time, no long waits, no rushing to load and mount, just a good smooth shot after shot feeling more than ever that it was 100, single bird events rather than single 100 bird event. All three of us shot quite well that day.....Bob Dodd

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Just shoot and don't worry about it. Some of my best scores have came with a three man squad. I didn't have time to dwell, just shoot.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks guys: My estimate of 15 to 20 secs. is based upon shooting on a 5 man squad. I think it normally takes that long for a moderately pace squad to shoot 5 targets. This way I get the same "rest" interval as if I was shooting on a 5 man squad. If I shoot at a faster than normal pace I run out of steam on the 4th trap.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I earned my way to the 27 shooing the last squad of the day, alone. Even today, I'll practice alone if no others want to shoot any more. I consider it good practice habits just in case of a shoot-off situation where you may have to shoot all by yourself. Short squads don't bother me at all and I've broken all the clays on short squads too. What does bother me, is if I'm shooting with an extremely fast squad, is the feeling of hurrying my pace to keep up with their tempo. Feeling like a one armed paper hanger to keep my place in line isn't for me.

Hap

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

short squads are a great opportunity to establish your own comfortable pace....

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot with a short squad, shoot with Shootlow. He's about as short as anyone......lol lol

Just remember though, dynamite comes in small packages......

Hauxfan!

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Shooting short squads of doubles is no fun...............Uncle Sam, Pa.

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Two man or five man squad, always shoot your own pace. They put Xs on the score sheet for breaking targets, not shooting at them fast.

~Michael

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I don't shoot trap every week, so I have to pace myself when on squads of three or two shooters.

After I hear the shot I wait 4 or 5 seconds before mounting the gun.

If I don't do that I will start missing targets toward the end of the round.

Shorts squads when your doing ten per post is not fun....

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The reason I started this thread was: I started out: first field 25, 24, 22, 20-just ran out of steam . I don't think I would have crapped out that dramatically if I was on a 5 man squad.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.